The Malik Report

Red Wings at the Worlds, quickie Day 9 wrap-up: Slovakia, Sweden, Canada prevail

As noted this morning, Red Wings prospect Tomas Tatar registered 2 assists, 2 shots, a +2 and 12:07 of ice time in Slovakia’s 5-1 win over Belarus Kostitsyn brothers included…

After the news came down that the IIHF suspended Russia’s Alexei Emelin and Dmitri Kalinin one and three games, respectively, for Emelin’s spear and Kalinin’s cross-check to Johan Franzen’s face on Friday—Franzen is OK despite suffering a broken and dislocated nose, and grumbled about the refereeing in Friday’s loss with the Swedish media…

The Franzen-less Swedes, playing with only 11 forwards, rolled along, defeating Italy 4-0, with Henrik Zetterberg registering a pair of assists.

Statistically, Zetterberg finished the game with those 2 assists, a 6-and-1 faceoff record, 1 shot and finishing at +1 in only 15:55 of ice time (Zetterberg’s been playing 22+ minutes a night);

Niklas Kronwall was scoreless but had 2 shots and finished at +1 in 17:39 of ice time, playing with Victor Hedman;

And Calle Jarnkrok was held off the scoresheet but went 7-and-2 in the faceoff circle, had 3 shots and finished even in 16:17 of ice time.

Back in Helsinki, Kyle Quincey and Canada assured their spot in the quarterfinals by defeating Kazakhstan 8-0, though Quincey didn’t score a point, took one shot and finished at +1 in 13:08 of ice time, playing on the third defensive pair with Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Kris Russell.

I’d post the various Swedish, Canadian and Slovak comments, as well as the predictable Russian reaction to the suspension—they’re obviously pissed off—but I’m running on about 4 hours of sleep over the past two days and sweated off a few pounds while watching my friend graduate from U of D in the rafters of an un-air conditioned Callahan Hall during a 3-hour-long ceremony, so I’m exhausted I’ll do the multilingual scuttlebutt later if that’s OK with you, because I need to drop for a few hours.

In all honesty, I may wait till the overnight report to do it because I’m that wasted by these 16 to 18-hour workdays, so I’m sorry about that but the body’s been worn out as far as it will take.

Sunday’s schedule will look like this:

May 13: 9:15 a.m. – USA vs. Finland [on the NBC Sports Network]; 10:15 AM– Russia vs. Czech Republic; 1:15 p.m. – Switzerland vs. Slovakia

Update, FTR, I did not look at Kirkland Krawford’s recap/wrap-up from the Detroit Free Press before I penned this, but he got to the news before I did;

And MLive’s Anar Khan both covered the Franzen situation and got an update regarding Jonathan Ericsson’s health from Ken Holland:

Holland said he’s not sure if defenseman Jonathan Ericsson will return to the tournament. He was injured in Sweden’s opener against Norway on May 4, when he was cross-checked in the back.

“He continues to be hopeful and optimistic that he can get healthy enough to play,’’ Holland said. “It’s some type of lower back injury. He tried skating the other day. He didn’t feel good, wanted to give it another couple of days.’‘

Holland called it a day-to-day injury, nothing that will require further attention after the tournament ends.

Again, Ericsson took a cross-check directly over what is called the sacroiliac joint, which is essentially the spot just above one’s butt where the vast majority of one’s muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves attach to the pelvis and spine, and because Ericsson was hacked so hard that he was bleeding, he is dealing with back pain and, as so many lower back muscles and ligaments attach and one’s butt, hip flexors and even groin muscles start at the SI joint, he’s pretty much sore from the middle of his back to just above his knees.

I’ve had significant back issues and hip flexor pain due to fiddle-string-tight ligature through my SI joint, and despite lots of physical therapy, my hip flexors tend to fire up and spasm down my thighs when I sit in a cramped position or get stressed (seriously).

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RWBill's avatar

Just tuned in for the face off in Finland.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 10:17 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well we don’t need Ericcssson injured as well.  Still have doubts whether Datsyuk is healthy.  Be glad if the WC finish and no more Wings get injured or assaulted.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 10:19 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

The announcers on NBC Sports, or whatever it’s called, are somewhat more fluent than the fellow who does the official tournament streamed broadcasts, but boy are these guys Homers.  The remarked about the good tournament the USA is having, which seems a bit too glossy considering a bad loss and 2 OT wins.  Granted one win in OT was vs Canada.

USA is not an overwhelming team, but quite competent.  Today vs Finland will tell a lot.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 10:30 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Pacioretty and Johnson, former Michigan Wolverines, are having very good tournaments with loads of ice time for USA.  Abdelkader, MSU Sparty, has played well and hard, earning himself a frequent promotion to the third line and Player of the Game once this week.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 10:32 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

As I’m engaging in LB self gratification, not an unfamiliar occupation of my time, very good first period for the USA, few opportunities for home team Finland, and one very good PK save by Jimmy on the doorstep, followed by Abdelkader bashing Finland out of the crease.

This game could get quite chippy, Finland like to hack and slash trying to instigate retaliation.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 10:54 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

And Happy Mother’s Day to my mom in Shiawassee County and all of you Mothers on the now parked in the train yard Hasek.

I hope to video Skype with my 96 year old (is that right?) mother this afternoon at my sister’s house.  She’s certainly seen a lot.  When she was young, to get around you walked or some had horses and carriages to get around, even many of those in towns had a horse in a small wooden shed in the back yard.  When I was young and visited my grandmother after church the shed was still there in the back.

Her father was wounded by gunshot in Cuba and actually left for dead on the battlefield.  The next day a guy from his hometown - Corunna, county seat of Shiawassee - noticed he wasn’t in camp and took a horse back to the battle area to look for him, and found him lying on the ground but alive.  He picked him up and put him on the horse and brought him back to camp where he was treated, however they treated wounded soldiers then, and recovered.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 11:04 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Wow!  Justin probably won’t get an assist om that second goal but he strongly possessed the puck for about 10 seconds behind the Finnish net and started the cycle that ended up with the goal.  He’s been really good.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 11:32 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the Capital of the Confederacy. on 05/13/12 at 09:30 AM ET

Well USA sure are overwhelming Finland today through 2 periods, quite an accomplishment in front of their home crowd, now sitting in stunned library silence.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 11:41 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 11:42 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

What an unexpected thrashing of home team Finland.

Odds are decent USA will have to play them in the quarterfinal on Thursday, and the result could be quite different.  Finland looked slow, the USA had greater speed on the wide ice to repeatedly gain possession and keep Finland in their own zone.  Jimmy had 2 or 3 good stops but only maybe 14 total shots by Finland.  Truly astounding and unexpected.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/13/12 at 03:23 PM ET