The Malik Report

Red Wings are Brunnstrom’s ‘last chance’ in the NHL? That’s a different way of putting it…

Updated ex with a Ken Kal interview from Calgary at 8:37 PM: Well scratch that suggestion: I had assumed that the Red Wings were approaching their try-out to Fabian Brunnstrom without many expectations other than giving the 26-year-old a chance to prove himself again, but Wings assistant GM Jim Nill offered a very different take on Brunnstrom’s situation while speaking about the try-out deal to the Free Press’s Helene St. James:

The Detroit Red Wings have told forward Fabian Brunnstrom—whom they pursued three years ago, only to see him sign with the Dallas Stars—that he’s welcome to come to training camp and try out for the team.

“He called us, and we told him to come on in,” assistant general manager Jim Nill said. “He’s had a disappointing two seasons in the NHL and knows this is his last chance.”

Brunnstrom, 26, spent last season with Toronto’s farm team. He has 19 goals, 40 points and is minus-11 in 99 NHL games. He’ll have to impress mightily to make the Wings, who are well-stocked up front.

And in a very different vein, Todd Bertuzzi told St. James that he’s less than delighted with Dan Cleary’s successful campaign to be immortalized in bobblehead form:

“He cheated,” Bertuzzi told the Free Press. “And I’m too old for a bobblehead. (Darren) Helm or Abby need one. I’m voting for Helm.”

Also of Red Wings-related note from the ER at Saint Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor (mom’s OK)...

• Via RedWingsFeed, former Wings blogger Kyle Kujawa’s been named the Public Relations Manager for the Grand Rapids Griffins...

• The Free Press took note of the fact that the Red Wings are part sponsors of an attempt to stage the world’s biggest Dodgeball game on August 20th;

• And NHL.com “disappearded” (not a word) the story, but NHL.com’s John Kreiser will suggest that Jimmy Howard is one of the Western Conference players on the “Hot Seat” tomorrow. His Eastern Conference list was posted today and my internet search monkeys can reveal a rather boring introduction to said suggestion:

Jimmy Howard, Detroit—Howard is now the unquestioned No. 1 goaltender in Hockeytown after back-to-back 37-win seasons—Ty Conklin was brought in ...

Paul posted the URL but the story’s gone missing.

• Also: Kukla’s Korner’s Doug Miller revealed that EA Sports will include Steve Yzerman as a “legend” in NHL 12.

Update: I don’t know if they’ll let me run Tweetdeck in here, so via RedWingsFeed, NHL.com’s Dan Rosen reports that Igor Larionov is in Toronto to represent two of his player clients, Nail Yakupov and Alexander Galchenyuk, as an officially-NHLPA-certified agent.

Update #2: St. James decided to post her bobblehead story today:

This is the last week for fans to vote on which Detroit Red Wings will be featured as a bobblehead giveaway next season, and forward Todd Bertuzzi is throwing his support behind young teammate Darren Helm. Danny Cleary won week 3 with a landslide 90% of votes. His election campaign included such radical strategy as filming a video with a message that was hard to miss: “Hi, this is Dan Cleary. Vote for me for my bobblehead. I really want one. Please. Don’t vote for Bertuzzi—his head is way too big, it won’t even fit on a bobblehead anyway.”

Bertuzzi finished third in voting last week, behind Justin Abdelkader. Cleary’s victory, Bertuzzi contends, wasn’t exactly above-board.

“He cheated,” Bertuzzi told the Free Press. “And I’m too old for a Bobblehead. Helm or Abby need one. I’m voting for Helm.”

Helm sits next to Bertuzzi in the locker room, and the two have become good friends. Last Halloween, Helm dressed up as Bertuzzi for the team’s costume party. Abdelkader leads the voting on detroitredwings.com for the fourth and final week, holding at nearly 70% as of this afternoon. The poll runs through Monday.

Bertuzzi, meanwhile, is looking forward to the Jan. 12, 2012 game against Phoenix, when the first 7,500 fans at Joe Louis Arena will get the 6.5-inch Cleary figurine.

“Can’t wait to see Cleary sign 7,500 bobbleheads after the game, like he promised all our fans,” Bertuzzi said.

Update #3: Red Wings play by play voice Ken Kal spoke to the Fan 960’s Eric Francis and Pat Steinberg this evening:

Download file

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Noll wants brunnstrom to leave it all on the ice and it’ll push anyone who thought they’d have a spot locked up.  Mind Games

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/16/11 at 07:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yeah this is one of the first years in a long time where all forwards looked like they were in place without any competition.  They went out of there way to retain Eaves, Miller, along with Helm and Abby.  I think the only one they’re dangling out there is Hudler.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/16/11 at 07:22 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Brunnstrom could be a great candidate for a DRW rehab project. I’d prefer to see him post Hudler-like numbers than see Hudler underperform again.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 08/16/11 at 07:35 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

I think the only one they’re dangling out there is Hudler.
Posted by RWBill

He’s been dangled out there so long he is beginning to resemble a mouse hanging on a fish hook.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 08/16/11 at 07:39 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

a mouse on a fish hook.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/16/11 at 08:00 PM ET

Does he really understand what he’s getting into with the Wings?  It’s so hard to even make the Griffins team.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 08/16/11 at 08:25 PM ET

Me and my manners.

Wishing your mom Godspeed on her recovery, George.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 08/16/11 at 08:28 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

That Bill and I think Emmertons issues have been glossed over.. he’s had issues with motivation be it on the ice or training and I don’t think the wings want to just give him the spot.. he’s got natural talent but not a consistent competitor.. brunnstrom will definitely push him to bring it as well..

Between fights for spots on defense and offense now our preseason just got a lot more fun

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/16/11 at 09:04 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

Glad to hear your Moms doing better. Hospitals suck.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 08/17/11 at 04:51 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Isn’t that how you catch largemouth bass?  If Hudler’s the mouse bait for a big mouth, we’ll probably end up trading him for Avery.

Hope your mother makes a full & speedy recovery, George.  Take a break from the blog if you need to, we’ll still be here.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 08/17/11 at 06:10 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I once caught a fish with a Combo. It was small and the weather was absolutely perfect fish-catching weather, but I did indeed get the fish to bite on a pizza-flavored pretzel.

Mom’s starting to feel like a pincushion and the aunt says I need a new hobby as I’ve spent too much time hanging around in hospitals and doctor’s offices. I think I agree with her!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/17/11 at 06:45 AM ET

Yes and, um, no.

Posted by jkm2011 on 08/17/11 at 10:51 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/16/11 at 08:04 PM ET

Well that’s right too, Emmerton and Mursak meant no more Draper, but the Wings are willing to give Fabio a chance to down either one of them that they wouldn’t give Draper.

Actually maybe they would have given Draper a similar try-out chance that they’re giving Fabio, but he didn’t want to go that way, and I don’t blame him.

Fabio could oust Emmerton, true enough.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 08/17/11 at 07:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It is written, so let it be done:

We cannot call him anything but Fabio from now on!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/17/11 at 07:50 PM ET