The Malik Report

Red Wings-Penguins live blog: this either goes very well or very, very poorly

If the preseason is about implementing systemic tweaks, trying out new line combinations, giving rookies and new additions time to acclimate, if not shine, and slowly but surely rounding into regular season form while attempting to avoid injuries, rounding out the exhibition season with a three-games-in-three-nights slate makes very little sense.

That is exactly what the Red Wings have done for the better part of the last decade, however, and today’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins (5 PM EDT, FSD/WXYT’s AM station only/PCNC) either tends to demonstrate that even a fatigued and splintered Wings roster is more or less good to go, or it’s a game in which fans pay full price to watch the Wings mail one in—or worse, get bit one more time by the injury bug.

If you’re not watching the Tigers game, or might flip channels from time to time, we’re gonna live blog this one.

Here’s the Red Wings’ lineup for today’s game, per MLive’s Ansar Khan:

Forwards: Johan Franzen, Valtteri Filppula, Todd Bertuzzi, Jiri Hudler, Patrick Eaves, Drew Miller, Cory Emmerton, Fabian Brunnstrom, Ryan Johnson, Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyquist, Brent Raedeke.

Henrik Zetterberg and Landon Ferraro were originally slated to play but have been replaced by Filppula and Emmerton.

No word yet on lines.

Defensemen:

Nicklas Lidstrom-Ian White

Jonathan Ericsson-Jakub Kindl

Travis Ehrhardt-Logan Pyett

Goaltenders: Jimmy Howard, Ty Conklin.

And here’s a reason to press the “concern” button:

Pavel Datsyuk continues to nurse a sore back but hopes to return for the season opener Friday against Ottawa. Forward Danny Cleary (upper-body injury) and defenseman Mike Commodore (sore knee) also are out. Cleary appears more likely than Commodore to be ready for Friday.

Brad Stuart didn’t exactly look like somebody who’s recovered from a groin injury on Saturday night, either, and I’m guessing that the Wings aren’t going to mess with Zetterberg’s ever-present sore back today, either. If there’s even a single chance of Ferraro’s surgically repaired groin acting up, there’s no point in tweaking that, either.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Seth Rorabaugh provides the Penguins’ lineup...

Forwards - Pascal Dupuis, Mark Letestu, Jordan Staal, Richard Park, Chris Kunitz, James Neal, Matt Cooke, Steve Sullivan, Craig Adams (right), Arron Asham, Joe Vitale, Tyler Kennedy

Defensemen - Matt Niskanen, Zbynek Michalek, Ben Lovejoy, Paul Martin, Brian Strait, Kris Letang

Goaltenders - Marc-Andre Fleury, Brent Johnson

And Wings GM Ken Holland gave a very intriguing interview to The Fan 590’s Norm Rumack during either the first or second intermission of last night’s win over Toronto (yay!):

Download file

Here’s hoping that the Wings don’t mail it in—and stay healthy…

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

Here are today’s stats:

Game summary: the refs for today’s game are Tom Kowal and Jean Hebert, and Scott Driscoll and David Brisebois are working the lines;

Event summary/individual stats;

In goal: Marc-Andre Fleury

For Detroit:

Brent Raedeke-Ryan Johnson-Patrick Eaves

Jakub Kindl-Jonathan Ericsson

In goal: Jimmy Howard

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:02 PM ET

Does anyone have a feed for the game.  It’s blacked out where I’m at.  Thanks.

Posted by Iowaoctopi on 10/02/11 at 06:03 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Good to see you in action George!  LGRW!  (Thank god I don’t have to watch the Pittsburgh broadcast this time, man those guys are bunch of arse kissing lame-oes.)

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/02/11 at 06:06 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I believe that http://www.sportshunter.me has a feed…but be careful for pop-ups and spyware.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:08 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Here’s my first true test for Gamecentre Live… doesn’t look promising so far.  With a 25Mb downstream connection, and running the viewer at “Adaptive” I’m getting really choppy video.

I’m especially interested to see how Ehrhardt and Pyett do today.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:08 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

As Ken and Mick have suggested, this is probably Ryan Johnson’s last gasp despite some inconsistency by Emmerton.

I’m glad to see that Raedeke’s up for one more game. He’s earned it.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:09 PM ET

VERY QUICKLY NYQUIST PUTS ONE IN smile

1-0 1:03 in.

Simple breakout, Bertuzzi chips one in on Fleury, he fluffs on the flutterball and Nyquist jams it in.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:10 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

HAHAAA, Nyquist off a rebound!

That kid’s gonna be a serious player for the Wings in the near future.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:10 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

GOAL! I love this Nyquist kid.  Can’t wait until he is ready to go pro.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/02/11 at 06:10 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Yes indeedy, Mickey Redmond, if there is a surprise in terms of a player looking NHL ready before his time, it’s Gustav Nyquist who fits that bill. He’s definitely leapfrogged over Tatar as the #1 call-up in terms of forwards from GR.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:11 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I guess Franzen is going to play centre on that Bert/Franzen/Nyquist line.

I think the Hudler/Filppula/Hudler line could be a good 3rd line for scoring needs… of course, Hudler needs to not make blind backhand passes like that.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:12 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Lots and lots of ice time for Kindl and Ericsson thus far.

Mental and physical fatigue are big issues tonight…we’ll see whether the Wings can keep it up over teh long haul.

Ehrhardt and Pyett on D, Tatar, Emmerton and Miller up front…

Lidstrom and White get their first shift almost four minutes in and White ices it.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:13 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Mickey says the Wings get the day off tomorrow and then the team will practice for the home opener.

Tonight is the big powwow for Ken Holland, Jim Nill and Babcock, however. They’ve got to make their demotions and decide whether to tender Brunnstrom that more-or-less-agreed-to contract tonight.

Too much standing around and a bad pinch by Ericsson with passive play by Filppula and Kindl on that Neal chance. The whole, “We’ll just cheat toward the blueline and then not clear the puck and get caught flat footed” issue persists.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:15 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

JEEZUS….EASY goal for the Pens. 14:12 left, 1-1.

Nothing play, Cooke charges in past Pyett, he bumps him, gives it away and Martin chips it past a completely stunned and standing-around Ehrhardt and through a screened Howard.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:17 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Well there’s the tying goal… eh, Pyett tried to scoop it out front to Tatar and it was a flutterball.  Bad choice by the young guy.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:18 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Hudler Fabio and Filppula out there…Ericsson and white on the icing and the wings never clear so Howard has to hop to stop, TV timeout w/ 12:45 left 1st.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:19 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I still can’t believe the Stars traded away Neil for Goligoski.  What a bad trade.

George… question… I know the Wings have two rosters spots left, but I was wondering if Hudler has a spot guaranteed or not (I’m guessing the Wings would have to place him on waivers to drop him to the minors)?

I’d rather have a young guy (in Nyquist) on the squad with unrealized potential because he is young, over a guy with unrealized potential because he’s afraid of getting his hands dirty.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/02/11 at 06:19 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Hudler, what are you doing man?!  That was a terrible pass attempt—if a Penguin had been in the middle of the ice, that would have been a great scoring opportunity.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:20 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 10/02/11 at 05:19 PM ET

Not gonna happen unless Hudler really shits the bed this season.  He’s going to have every chance to prove he belongs whether or not you guys like it.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:21 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Tigers up four in the bottom of the seventh, no outs.  FYI

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/02/11 at 06:22 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Neal-Goligoski trade worked out pretty well for both teams.

Dear Johan Franzen and Todd Bertuzzi—you’re on a line with Nyquist and he’s playing much better than both of you. I love ya, Mule, but you’ve gotta stir from your slumber.

Interesting: Daniels says the Wings can call Smith up whenever to sit out his suspension. Could be sit a game here and a game there depending on roster size.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:22 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from A State of Insanity on 10/02/11 at 05:21 PM ET

Wasn’t that what last season was all about?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/02/11 at 06:23 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Man, I hope the PS3 Gamecentre app is better optimized than the PC version.  This is brutal.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:23 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from A State of Insanity on 10/02/11 at 05:08 PM ET

Do you happen to know why I can watch Gamecenter Live on my computer but not on my PS3? I have the account linked, but it doesn’t give any options for the current season. I can go through the archived games.

Posted by PDXWing on 10/02/11 at 06:23 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Wasn’t that what last season was all about?

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 10/02/11 at 05:23 PM ET

Well Hudler only shit half the bed last year… I think if he’d been as bad the second half as he was the first half, there wouldn’t be any discussion.

As it stands, I think Hudler has the first half of this season to prove himself.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:24 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The Pens have possessed the puck more than the Wings and have sustained more offensive pressure but the Wings are at least keeping the Pens to the outside (for the most part) as we near the ten-minute mark of the 1st. It’s turnovers and not bearing down to clear the puck that are the usual complaints/characteristic mistakes/boobles of note on the Wings’ part.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:24 PM ET

Posted by PDXWing from Alexandria, VA on 10/02/11 at 05:23 PM ET

I’m assuming it has to do with the preseason… this is my first year with GCL, so your guess is as good as mine.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:25 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from A State of Insanity on 10/02/11 at 05:23 PM ET

That sucks man.  Its more expensive, but I always shell out the money for centerice on cable.  Streaming video is too unreliable, I’d go postal.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/02/11 at 06:25 PM ET

I switched to GCL from Center Ice last year. I have a 58” plasma and the SD feeds on FiOS looked like I was streaming over the internet anyway. GCL over HDMI is better quality than an SD feed.

Posted by RyanVM on 10/02/11 at 06:27 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

GCL can be great and it can be as choppy as can be…I can’t tell you whether it’s just a poor preseason feed, whether there might be network issues, you name it…send customer support a report with your configuration what you’re also running program-wise and see what they can do to help.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:27 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

There ya go, George… the Mule has awoken… awakened? lol

Posted by SandysWingingit on 10/02/11 at 06:28 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Turnover + Mule patience = goal.

Bert steals the puck, goes down low to Nyquist, he walks around the net, gives it to Bert but instead Franzen picks up the garbage, dekes Fleury out of his jock strap going side to side and with Ray Sheppard-like patience, puts the puck into an empty net.

9 left 1st, 2-1 Detroit.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:29 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 10/02/11 at 05:25 PM ET

I’ve done that every year for the past 7 years or so, and I figured it might be time for a change.  I like the ability to watch the games anywhere, as long as there’s a connection to the old “pipes and tubes.”  Same price, lower quality.  Not happy with the choice so far.

LOLFranzen… faked Flower into a different set of pads.  2-1.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:29 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Good blocks but the Wings go to the penalty box for a stick laying on the ice or some other BS. Emmerton, uh, meh.

I’ll go with, “Has awakened” instead of, “Has awoken.” I’d prefer to reserve past perfect for something that happened in the distant instead of immediate past.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:31 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Patrick Eaves…. Jeeezus thats gotta hurt.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/02/11 at 06:31 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

Ouch… for Eaves!

Posted by SandysWingingit on 10/02/11 at 06:31 PM ET

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 05:27 PM ET

Yeah, that’s the problem with GCL—too many variables.  I’ve got a clean Windows 7 Ultimate install on a 3GHz Core2Duo, 4GB of RAM, a 140GB Western Digital Raptor, and nothing else running.

Meh.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The other thing about GCL is if you hadn’t subscribed last season, you probably won’t be able to access pre-season games. I can’t because my billing got screwed up—it didn’t auto-renew and I had to sign up again last week.

Oh look, Chris Kunitz hacking and whacking against the Wings. Big E handled himself well.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/02/11 at 06:32 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Man, I hope Ericsson mutilates Kunitz… I absolutely hate that guy.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/02/11 at 06:33 PM ET