The Malik Report

Red Wings-Kings game-day updates: Rafalski still out for Detroit

Amidst the article confirming that the Red Wings have re-signed Jimmy Howard to a 2-year, $2.5 million contract extension, MLIve’s Ansar Khan snuck in a bummer of a tidbit regarding tonight’s match-up between the Red Wings and Los Angeles Kings (10:30 PM, FSD/FS West/WXYT/NHL Network):

It’s 2 1/2 hours before the trade deadline and [Red Wings GM Ken] Holland said is still appears unlikely he will make a move.

Howard will be in goal tonight when the Red Wings play the Los Angeles Kings at Staples Center (10:30, FSD).

Holland said defenseman Brian Rafalski will miss his second game in a row due to back spasms. Johan Franzen is in Detroit, where his wife is due to deliver their first child. Drew Miller replaces Franzen in the lineup.

Update: LA Kings Insider’s Rich Hammond reports that the Kings had an optional morning skate before the news broke that the Kings acquired Dustin Penner from Edmonton for Colton Teubert and a 1st rounder and 2nd-rounder. Expect that and Justin Williams’ extension to be the Kings’ news of note today.

Update 2: As for the Red Wings, the Windsor Star’s Bob Duff has this to say about Jonathan Ericsson:

#redwings Holland not close to signing potential UFA D Jonathan Ericsson. “I’m open to talks,” Holland said. #nhltrade
...
Holland on Ericsson: “It’s a cap world, it’s all about numbers for both sides. I’m comfortable waiting until the end of the playoffs.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hmmm…sounds like Tick Tock’s disappointed with E52.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/28/11 at 04:49 PM ET

With the development of Kindl and Smith, and E’s play of late….he’s gonna have to come cheap….and I don’t think he will…..future aaron ward or anders erickson

Posted by MnWingsFan on 02/28/11 at 04:57 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Hmmm…sounds like Tick Tock’s disappointed with E52.

He shouldn’t feel like the Lone Ranger.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/28/11 at 05:04 PM ET

Gah!  Would’ve been nice to know that the Malik report was starting for those of us who subscribe to A2Y.  Well guess the next hour will be blown catching up.  Sorry Boss.

Posted by Chris from chrischolette@gmail.com on 02/28/11 at 05:35 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

e52 should sign a 2 year deal, and be happy he is getting that.  how much? well that is up to tick tock. hate to give a man a raise just to keep him, but 1.2-1.5 per year. and if that does not grab him, that a few incentives of some sort.  do i want to keep e52? sure, will i cry in my beer if he leaves? no.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 02/28/11 at 06:39 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Hmmm…sounds like Tick Tock’s disappointed with E52.

I’m sure he is.  And saying he’s not going to talk contract until after the playoffs is probably another way of saying, “Get it going, kid, or you may be gone.”

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/28/11 at 08:43 PM ET

Exactly what I was thinking Ms.RedWinger.  The Wings have been patient enough with him to let him grow out his bad habits.  Obviously, we ain’t seeing it.  I’m reluctant to do this but I’m beginning to believe what Gramps has been quietly impying all along:  Todd McLellan is the reason for the Wings’ formidable defense in the ‘08 Cup win.  Turnovers were not as messy and boneheaded when he headed up the defense corps under Uncle Mike.  We won a lot of one-goal games during the ‘07-‘08 season but it felt “safe” that the Wings were never going to let up defensive.

That quality’s missing since then.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/28/11 at 08:53 PM ET