The Malik Report

Red Wings-Blackhawks live blog: Is it about message sending? Yeah, from Detroit, to Detroit

Amidst near-calculus level equations and talk of Chris Osgood’s desire to continue playing, hype, Henrik Zetterberg panic-mongering and Mike Modano reiterating his wavering toward retiring, at least if the Wings go on a long playoff run, the Detroit Red Wings face off against the Chicago Blackhawks shortly (7:30 PM, FSD/CSN Chicago/Versus) knowing that they can either eliminate a potential playoff opponent or give the defending Stanley Cup champs all sorts of momentum while definitively losing home-ice advantage for the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Given the Wings’ very mediocre record since, um, January, the Red Wings can’t catch themselves worrying too much about their opponents or the implications of wins or losses for anyone but themselves as a team that still can’t shake the injury bug plays in its final two dress rehearsals before the playoffs begin.

Forget the hype, forget the pundits’ pre-playoff panic-mongering and make the Hawks’ playoff hopes a memory, Wings. That’s your job tonight and on Sunday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›      Next »

MsRedWinger's avatar

At least JIMMAH showed up.

Posted by Alzy from Innisfail, Alberta, Canada on 04/08/11 at 07:53 PM ET

Did you mean at “last”?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 08:55 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Can we pretty much admit half this team has tuned Babcock out now?

Big, big time changes in the summer, or we become just another ‘decent’ franchise real quick.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/11 at 08:55 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Howabout fuel for the “burn every single Belle Tire location to the ground” campaign? or the “never ever drink Miller Light” movement?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 08:55 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

I’m a very faithful fan, but someone needs to give me a reason to keep watching tonight.

G’night…. I got nothing.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 08:55 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

to prepare you for the playoffs?

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 04/08/11 at 08:56 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

There’s probably only 5 games left in the 2010-11 season after this.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 08:56 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

that a’boy, jimmy.

show ‘em some reason to play hard, smart and with some self respect.

Lids? kick some butts. you’re the C.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/08/11 at 08:56 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 07:56 PM ET

I really hope I’m wrong, but right now, I agree with you.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 04/08/11 at 08:57 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

Only way Wings can win this game is if they don’t allow another goal the rest of the way and can get one a period and try to finish it in OT or the shootout.  There is no way they’re scoring 4 goals in regulation against this team.  Of course, I don’t see them shutting down the door the rest of the way either, I’m expecting at least 2 more allowed.

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 08:57 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Times like these I wish we had like 20 million in room. I would absolutely love it if somehow Uncle Mike could bench the entire team and let the Griffins play a game. Let them be reminded that it’s not a right to wear that winged wheel, it’s a privilege, one that all those assholes masquerading as the Detroit Red Wings are abusing.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 08:57 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I Believe we really Suck ....and that sucks….L.G.R.W.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/08/11 at 08:57 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Helm and Abby will save this game.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 08:57 PM ET

bobinalaska's avatar

Maybe it’s the promise of free beer tonight, or maybe it’s the fact that it’s finally warm and the snows are melting (6 C and sunny today!), but I’m feeling a Wings comeback tonight. Mostly because a friend of mine from Chicago who only discovered hockey 3 years ago is giving me shit right now, and such an epic deflating of his sails would bring me so, so much joy this evening, and if I don’t have hope, then what do I have?

Posted by bobinalaska from Fairbanks, Palinistan on 04/08/11 at 08:58 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

The Wings have no answer for a relentless forecheck.  First round sweep and Nick retires.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/08/11 at 08:58 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

One more game like this and you might just see a lineup of black aces next week.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 08:59 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Eight turnovers already.

Eight.

That is how many the Wings would have in two games a few years ago.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/11 at 08:59 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

wings have 1 shot on goal to 10 for the hawks.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 04/08/11 at 09:00 PM ET

WTF we need to start scoring some goals!

Posted by ajwooster on 04/08/11 at 09:00 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Assless Chaps fart fart fart-fart-fart
Assless Chaps fart fart fart-fart-fart
Assless Chaps fart fart fart-fart-fart

GO CHAPS GO
GO CHAPS GO
GO CHAPS GO

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 09:00 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from pens fan in baltimore’s sandy vag on 04/08/11 at 07:58 PM ET

Noticed the same thing.  Hawks are just always in the zone and dictating the play, intercepting every pass and just has constant pressure.  Wings look like they’re standing around and forgot how to move the puck up the ice safely.

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 09:00 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

That is how many the Wings would have in two games a few years ago.

Seven.  Seven times I’ve screamed at the TV already.  That’s more than I did during the 07-08 season.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 09:01 PM ET

sjketcheson's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 04/08/11 at 07:54 PM ET

Because it gives you reason to drink?

Posted by sjketcheson from the floor of the Hasek on 04/08/11 at 09:01 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

the next Wings to miss the fuching god damn net should forefit one year’s salary. YOU’RE PROFESSIONAL *#$%@& HOCKEY PLAYERS!! HIT THE *#$%@& NET YOU DUMBASSES!

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 09:02 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

This has been true for several years.

Yay free whiskey.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 09:02 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’m starting to develop a hatred for Hossa.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 09:02 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

A power play goal here sure would help.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 09:03 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Looks like Modano retired already.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/08/11 at 09:03 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Wow….we’re doing pretty good on the PK.

Wait….we are on the PK, right?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 09:03 PM ET

bobinalaska's avatar

Because it gives you reason to drink?

Posted by sjketcheson from Ottawa on 04/08/11 at 08:01 PM ET

I have plenty of other reasons to drink. For example, beer is delicious, therefore I drink it. I don’t need the Wings to add to that.

Posted by bobinalaska from Fairbanks, Palinistan on 04/08/11 at 09:04 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

BOO THEM LOUDER.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 09:04 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I blame George for posting the live blog in the wrong place.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 09:04 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Please pull Jimmy, he doesn’t deserve this

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 04/08/11 at 09:04 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Jimmy can only roll his eyes.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 09:04 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

WTF this is just embarrassing!!!!  START SKATING YOU STUPID MOTHER F#*KERS!!!!

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 09:05 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

I hope the fans at the Joe boo the hell out of them if they score a goal. This is pathetic

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 09:05 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Drinking isn’t helping.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 09:05 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Is Edzo a dick? Yes. But he made a good point: The Wings are unwilling to pay the price when they dump the puck in the offensive zone.

“Unwilling” = no heart.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/11 at 09:05 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Golfing reservations anyone? You realize back to back drubbings by the Hawks probably means a first round drubbing by the hawks. no evidence to the contrary on the horizon.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/08/11 at 09:05 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

No offense to the homosexuals out there but this shit is fuching gay.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/08/11 at 09:06 PM ET

Alzy's avatar