The Malik Report

Red Wings-Blackhawks live blog: Is it about message sending? Yeah, from Detroit, to Detroit

Amidst near-calculus level equations and talk of Chris Osgood’s desire to continue playing, hype, Henrik Zetterberg panic-mongering and Mike Modano reiterating his wavering toward retiring, at least if the Wings go on a long playoff run, the Detroit Red Wings face off against the Chicago Blackhawks shortly (7:30 PM, FSD/CSN Chicago/Versus) knowing that they can either eliminate a potential playoff opponent or give the defending Stanley Cup champs all sorts of momentum while definitively losing home-ice advantage for the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Given the Wings’ very mediocre record since, um, January, the Red Wings can’t catch themselves worrying too much about their opponents or the implications of wins or losses for anyone but themselves as a team that still can’t shake the injury bug plays in its final two dress rehearsals before the playoffs begin.

Forget the hype, forget the pundits’ pre-playoff panic-mongering and make the Hawks’ playoff hopes a memory, Wings. That’s your job tonight and on Sunday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 9 10 11

ITDeuce's avatar

Maybe Jimmah is the one who should kick some tables over in the locker room after the game.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 04/08/11 at 09:53 PM ET

I couldn’t possibly agree with this more.  Storm into the room and say fuch you assholes.  Hang me out to dry like that again and I’ll quit stopping them.

Way too little, way too late.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:58 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Homer never gives up!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:59 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Corey Crawford for the Hartzina!

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 11:00 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Well, faux that. I think tonite should be media-free dressing room.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 11:00 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

Please show up on Sunday, Detroit.  Oh wait, it’s an afternoon game against the Hawks on NBC, what am I thinking? Hahahahahahha.

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 11:00 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Well, not a shutout at least, but a big disappointment for sure.  Thanks for being there everybody.  Good nite.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 11:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Sunday wings sit lidstrom and datsyuk, and send filppula to grand rapids with his brother.

seriously, does walter filppula even play here anymore?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 11:01 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Whatever happened to Jiri Hudler?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 11:02 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Does anyone recall us winning a game on versus?  seriously

Posted by Trish from Tampa/Clearwater FL on 04/08/11 at 11:03 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

does filppula get the ray sheppard “floater” award?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 11:03 PM ET

Chet's avatar

we totally won the last 22 minutes of this one, baby! break out the bubbly!

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 11:03 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

This night got off to a shitty start when I turned on the HD feed, and it was CSN. I don’t think I’ve been able to watch a Wings HD feed for the past like 10 games. Every time the Wings are on the road i’m stuck with the home team feed for HD, but now even when the Wings are at home I don’t get Ken and Mick. Thankfully tonight the SD feed was FSD, but I’m definitely putting in a comment to my satellite provider at the end of the season. There is no logical reason why I can’t watch an HD broadcast of FSD every single game they have.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 11:03 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

it’s difficult to think of a western conference team that I am confident playing against in the first round.  how about dallas…

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 11:04 PM ET

Chet's avatar

hang the plastic in the locker room!

franzen seemed the floatiest to me tonight, but flip and bert were equally invisible.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 11:05 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Airplane!  reference on VS.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 11:05 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Mick “it went bingo balls”

bingo balls.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 11:05 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

does filppula get the ray sheppard “floater” award?
Posted by RWBill from The Hasek. All Aboard! on 04/08/11 at 10:03 PM ET

He floated, but he doesn’t comepare to the floatermule. He’s making sure nobody takes the Robert Lang award from him ever again.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 11:06 PM ET

Chet's avatar

oh. and hudler, but that’s automatic.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 11:06 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

So the comeback never got off the launch pad.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 04/08/11 at 11:06 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Airplane!  reference on VS.

Posted by monkey from bat country on 04/08/11 at 10:05 PM ET

No thanks.  I take it black.  Like my men.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 11:06 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I share your frustration.  It’s the FSD feed about 25%.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 11:07 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

good grief
and
g’nite

L.G.R.W.

AND

GO BLUE!!!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/08/11 at 11:07 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

These guys are the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 11:07 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Bingo balls.  Please god let me remember the phrase “bingo balls” in the morning.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 11:08 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

ITDeuce, I think you have a really good point.  I have had similar thoughts.  But I just want to wait and see how the playoffs go.  Don’t know if that’s “optimism,” just willing to wait and see.

And there’s our second goal!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 04/08/11 at 09:57 PM ET

I hear what you’re saying, I really do.

But I’m being a big negative nancy, and and flat out sick and tired of this shit.  I don’t expect them to win every game, but I damn well expect them to try.  I don’t care what the circumstances are.  I don’t care if they’re just “trying to not get hurt”.  I don’t care about the injuries they’ve had.  I don’t care.  There is no acceptable excuse for not trying.  None.  They owe me more than that.  Yes me.  I’m the reason that they all get to play a fuching game for a living.  For an amazing living.  Me, and all of you crazy motherfuchers here that are just as crazy as me for living and breathing the Red Wings.  You wanna mail in an effort like the last couple month?  Kiss my ass, and make your tee times.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 11:09 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

BELIEVE !!!!    Good Night Y’All

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/08/11 at 11:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Float, float on.

some cynical red wing fan s.o.b. with mad photoshop skillz could have a field day with this.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 11:11 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Abdelkader was +2.  He showed up.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 11:12 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

G’night bitches.  I’ve had enough abuse…

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 11:14 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

redwingslive.net still on.  babcock post game coming up.  should i keep this on and watch babcock or just go ahead and start playing my recording of “the killing”.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 11:15 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by RWBill from The Hasek. All Aboard! on 04/08/11 at 10:11 PM ET

Bingo Balls.  LeBron looked exactly the same.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 11:15 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Abdelkader was +2.  He showed up.

Posted by monkey from bat country on 04/08/11 at 10:12 PM ET

i would have thought that would be impossible in a game like this.  He and Helm give Babcock ammunition to throw a bunch of older folks on the “bring out your dead” wagon and replace them with emmerton and mursak and tatar and brendan smith.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 11:18 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

“we got to get our brain in gear.”  -  mike babcock

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 11:19 PM ET

Anyone has a link to Babcock’s comments after the game? Thanks..

Posted by Meg on 04/08/11 at 11:27 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Anyone has a link to Babcock’s comments after the game? Thanks..

Just look at his quotes from the last few losses.  You’re going to hear the same bullshit.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/08/11 at 11:35 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand : Yep..you are right….why the hell do I bother? Why get depressed even more….

Posted by Meg on 04/08/11 at 11:40 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/08/11 at 10:09 PM ET

Word.

Give me a roster of Darren Helms, and I’d be a happy camper.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/08/11 at 11:45 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Ok so I didn’t get to watch the game too close because I was at bowling league, but from the bit I saw it seems that the wings are playing, either unknowingly or directed, to avoid contact.  Backing off all the time, and just generally being a step behind.  Does anyone else get this impression?  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like it either, the wings tend to have issues when they take the last few weeks off at the end of the season.  But it does seem to me they are trying not to get hurt almost too much.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 04/09/11 at 01:18 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Now we are comparing players to Lang-the ultimate insult.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/09/11 at 10:02 AM ET