The Malik Report

Red Wings-Blackhawks live blog: Is it about message sending? Yeah, from Detroit, to Detroit

Amidst near-calculus level equations and talk of Chris Osgood’s desire to continue playing, hype, Henrik Zetterberg panic-mongering and Mike Modano reiterating his wavering toward retiring, at least if the Wings go on a long playoff run, the Detroit Red Wings face off against the Chicago Blackhawks shortly (7:30 PM, FSD/CSN Chicago/Versus) knowing that they can either eliminate a potential playoff opponent or give the defending Stanley Cup champs all sorts of momentum while definitively losing home-ice advantage for the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Given the Wings’ very mediocre record since, um, January, the Red Wings can’t catch themselves worrying too much about their opponents or the implications of wins or losses for anyone but themselves as a team that still can’t shake the injury bug plays in its final two dress rehearsals before the playoffs begin.

Forget the hype, forget the pundits’ pre-playoff panic-mongering and make the Hawks’ playoff hopes a memory, Wings. That’s your job tonight and on Sunday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 >       Next »

Gabriel's avatar

80% of the Wings’ “passes” aren’t really passes, they’re just whacking at the puck or throwing it in the general direction of a teammate.  absolutely no precision.

Reminds me of when I was single.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 10:48 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I can’t believe I left Derek Meech off that list.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:48 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Suddenly, Wings getting chances and Crawford turning into a good goalie.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:48 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Thank you Mick for being you.  Gotta respect a man that will call it like it is.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:48 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Is it “hang jimmy out to dry” night at the joe?

He must be dry by now.  A bit chapped by now I’m sure.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:49 PM ET

At this point, the team might need Murph’s 50-year-old drunk ass on the blueline more than on the mic.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/08/11 at 10:49 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Is that a positive thing? I’m not even sure.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 09:46 PM ET

He said if they didn’t win the cup but got to the finals that he’ probably retire as long as they had a long playoff run.

That looks doubtful.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:49 PM ET

Chet's avatar

got vs. feed. what’d mick say?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 10:49 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Someone queue the waterboy video

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/08/11 at 10:49 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/08/11 at 09:48 PM ET

What did he say?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:50 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Is that a positive thing? I’m not even sure.

Right, but we know.  That’s the important thing.  Knowing is half the battle.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:50 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

player of the game:  howard.  how said is that?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:51 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

said = sad

I can’t believe I left Derek Meech off that list.

I have been going to Griffins games all season, and man, every time I went I cursed Ken Holland for stranding him in the minors while Ericsson played in Detroit. Meech is no all-star, but sadly enough, he’s probably the fifth-best defenseman in the organization right now.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/08/11 at 10:51 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

What did he say?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 04/08/11 at 09:50 PM ET

That there are going to be a lot of Red Wing fans going into the post season with some doubts after these performances.  (I’m paraphrasing)

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:51 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Yeah. But not what I meant. heh.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 10:52 PM ET

Chet's avatar

get that kid w the shovel a uni. look at that intensity!

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 10:52 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

the linesman couldn’t have just picked up that puck?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/08/11 at 10:52 PM ET

monkey's avatar

That kind of stuff always makes you wonder.  Maybe he doesn’t get along with Babbles.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:53 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

player of the game:  howard.  how said is that?

Posted by RWBill from The Hasek. All Aboard! on 04/08/11 at 09:51 PM ET

Maybe Jimmah is the one who should kick some tables over in the locker room after the game.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:53 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Alright boys and girls…I’m going to go before my #25 bursts into flames.  See you all on Sunday.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 10:53 PM ET

Chet's avatar

24!

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 10:53 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Are all the members of the Great Lakes Myth Society gay?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:53 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Time travel (unintelligible gibbering) rum rum rum galbble blabble

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:54 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Hey Gabe can you grab a minute of video off the local tv station KUSI PPR reports?

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 04/08/11 at 10:54 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Are all the members of the Great Lakes Myth Society gay?

No, I think one is a dog.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:55 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

So here’s the thing about optimism.  If they somehow manage to make a long cup run, then you couldn’t convince me that we wouldn’t have another non engaged, just play well enough to win during the regular season, next year.  I’d rather not deal with that shit again.  So if they don’t care… get bounced in the first round and make some changes.  Would really like to see a team that is frigging engaged.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:55 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Stay classy fans…

Are all the members of the Great Lakes Myth Society gay?

Put em on skates and replace our entire defense….chances are their cock blocking skills are better than our puck blocking skills.

Posted by The Hurricane on 04/08/11 at 10:56 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

the Wings are playing like the CPU-controlled players in NHL 11.  when they get the puck, it takes them so long to decide what to do with it that by the time they do something all the options are gone.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/08/11 at 10:56 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

C mon Red wings..we need a couples of goals now..

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/08/11 at 10:56 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Not that they deserve to have a tie game, but seriously, how does every goaltender have the game of his life against Detroit? Does the team leave a horseshoe in the visiting goaltender’s locker stall every game to be nice?

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 10:56 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

2:00 never never never give up

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:56 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

more please

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/08/11 at 10:57 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

ITDeuce, I think you have a really good point.  I have had similar thoughts.  But I just want to wait and see how the playoffs go.  Don’t know if that’s “optimism,” just willing to wait and see.

And there’s our second goal!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:57 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Eh, still over.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 04/08/11 at 10:57 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Homer? Good for him, but way late.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 10:57 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Ahhhhhhhhh the comeback begins!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 04/08/11 at 10:57 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Too little too late.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:58 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

why are they even bothering to pull Howard?

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 10:58 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

wow

does it count?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/08/11 at 10:58 PM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 8 9 10 11 >       Next »