The Malik Report

Red Wings-Blackhawks live blog: Is it about message sending? Yeah, from Detroit, to Detroit

Amidst near-calculus level equations and talk of Chris Osgood’s desire to continue playing, hype, Henrik Zetterberg panic-mongering and Mike Modano reiterating his wavering toward retiring, at least if the Wings go on a long playoff run, the Detroit Red Wings face off against the Chicago Blackhawks shortly (7:30 PM, FSD/CSN Chicago/Versus) knowing that they can either eliminate a potential playoff opponent or give the defending Stanley Cup champs all sorts of momentum while definitively losing home-ice advantage for the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Given the Wings’ very mediocre record since, um, January, the Red Wings can’t catch themselves worrying too much about their opponents or the implications of wins or losses for anyone but themselves as a team that still can’t shake the injury bug plays in its final two dress rehearsals before the playoffs begin.

Forget the hype, forget the pundits’ pre-playoff panic-mongering and make the Hawks’ playoff hopes a memory, Wings. That’s your job tonight and on Sunday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >       Next »

RWBill's avatar

Posted by jennyquarx on 04/08/11 at 09:29 PM ET

I recognize that avatar.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:34 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/08/11 at 09:33 PM ET

I know, they’re terrible.  Beer commercials in general are pretty bad, but these set a whole new standard.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:34 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

These Miller Lite commercials actually make me want to never drink Miller Lite.

Miller Lite makes me want to never drink Miller Lite. Their commercials make me want to not watch TV.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 10:34 PM ET

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan & hometown of Justin Abdelkader on 04/08/11 at 09:30 PM ET

I hate to break it to you and chet (and myself), but Bert is signed through the end of next season. And he has a partial NTC.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/08/11 at 10:35 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Posted by monkey from bat country on 04/08/11 at 09:33 PM ET

TPH and Eaves. I like MillerTime, but I’d rather some fresh blood from GR get a chance.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 10:35 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

It’s not a takeaway if the pass was never going to make it to the other guy.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 10:36 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Even Mick is sounding forlorn…...

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 04/08/11 at 10:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Salei building his case to be #8 defenseman

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:36 PM ET

Chet's avatar

another salei gaffe!

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 10:36 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 09:34 PM ET

aLol.  Good shit Gabe… good shit.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:36 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I don’t want to talk about next year until after the playoffs.  We have to rely on the team we have until it’s over this season.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:36 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!! SHUT UP EDZO !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 04/08/11 at 09:24 PM ET

haha you sound like me cept I’m usually saying shut up LARRY lately

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/08/11 at 10:37 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Zero engagement.  Zero.\

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:37 PM ET

Chet's avatar

luckily 52 found an opportunity to give one away there, too. WHO ARE THESE GUYS?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 10:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

More taste or less taste?

I don’t really care.

WTF is that?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:37 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Posted by jennyquarx on 04/08/11 at 09:29 PM ET

ah, we have missed you too!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/08/11 at 10:38 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

I like that #52 is so confident that he gives the puck right back to the other team.  Tigerblood.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 10:38 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

Dallas is winning too…  Sigh, we could’ve ended the Hawks and instead we’re just letting them get on a roll heading into the playoffs.

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 10:38 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 04/08/11 at 09:36 PM ET

I wish I could have this attitude.  I really do.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:38 PM ET

Chet's avatar

13 laboring for sure.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 10:39 PM ET

monkey's avatar

More taste or less taste?

I don’t really care.

WTF is that?

Isn’t Miller Lite the beer you would get if you said “I don’t care about taste”?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:39 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

this game is an em-bare-ass-ment

i wonder if the wings will skate around afterwards and salute the fans with a raised stick?

i wonder if there’ll be anyone in the stands to salute?

l.g.r.w.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/08/11 at 10:40 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

yes it is, exactly.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:40 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Two chances to end a season…  0-2, outscored 7-1.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:42 PM ET

Chet's avatar

look on the bright side. chi has a way better shot to eliminate van than dallas, so if they’re in at #8, not so bad.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 10:42 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

Am I a bad person for laughing at that?

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 10:42 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

this game is an em-bare-ass-ment

i wonder if there’ll be anyone in the stands to salute?

l.g.r.w.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/08/11 at 09:40 PM ET

thats sad but PROBABLY true :-(

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/08/11 at 10:43 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Man the Blackhawks just hate that guy.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:43 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

When did Sammy join the Hawks?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 10:43 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Ouch.  Is that the side of Koppy’s face that had the surgery?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:43 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Okay.  Old request: Wings try to show a little pride.

New Request:  Chief uses his infamous “Post from 1 day in the future” to let us know yesterday to not watch this game today.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 10:43 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

80% of the Wings’ “passes” aren’t really passes, they’re just whacking at the puck or throwing it in the general direction of a teammate.  absolutely no precision.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/08/11 at 10:44 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

johnny cash it burns burns burns that ring of fire

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:44 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I wish I could go back in time and start drinking sooner.  I like me some rum.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:45 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Hey, at least we know Mike Modano is not going to retire.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 10:46 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Don’t look now but the Wings are turning it on a bit here.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:46 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Hey, at least we know Mike Modano is not going to retire.

Is that a positive thing? I’m not even sure.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 10:46 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

Is it “hang jimmy out to dry” night at the joe?

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 04/08/11 at 10:47 PM ET

Chet's avatar

det showing no interest in this game now. this would be another refund demand game if i had paid for a ticket.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/08/11 at 10:47 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

boy i’m glad i had an alternative to blackhawks tv

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 04/08/11 at 10:48 PM ET

« Previous       ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >       Next »