The Malik Report

Red Wings-Blackhawks live blog: Is it about message sending? Yeah, from Detroit, to Detroit

Amidst near-calculus level equations and talk of Chris Osgood’s desire to continue playing, hype, Henrik Zetterberg panic-mongering and Mike Modano reiterating his wavering toward retiring, at least if the Wings go on a long playoff run, the Detroit Red Wings face off against the Chicago Blackhawks shortly (7:30 PM, FSD/CSN Chicago/Versus) knowing that they can either eliminate a potential playoff opponent or give the defending Stanley Cup champs all sorts of momentum while definitively losing home-ice advantage for the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Given the Wings’ very mediocre record since, um, January, the Red Wings can’t catch themselves worrying too much about their opponents or the implications of wins or losses for anyone but themselves as a team that still can’t shake the injury bug plays in its final two dress rehearsals before the playoffs begin.

Forget the hype, forget the pundits’ pre-playoff panic-mongering and make the Hawks’ playoff hopes a memory, Wings. That’s your job tonight and on Sunday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›      Next »

Alzy's avatar

If the Mule wants to get out of my own personal doghouse, he better get a natural hat-trick, right god damn now.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 10:29 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Period 2 - GO WINGS!!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/08/11 at 10:31 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

C mon wings..lets rock the house

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/08/11 at 10:31 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Geez, WTF is going on???

LGRW

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 04/08/11 at 10:31 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

There’s been a lot of conjecture the past few days about which western conference team would be the most favorable matchup.

From the perspective of fans of the other teams in the west though, I think the one team that everyone has to be licking their chops over playing right now would be the one in red and white.  When was the last time we could say that?

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/08/11 at 10:32 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

This is not happening.  I’m out of beer.  I think I"m hyperventalating….of all games…

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 10:33 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

OK, we’ve had a few chances there.  Keep it going, Wings!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:33 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

You know what’s almost as bad as they pathetic efforts the Wings have put forth way too often this season? The BS we hear after the game. The same old drivel about more attention to detail, working hard, blah, blah, blah. If I have to listen to one more indifferent Zetterberg interview after an embarrassing loss I think I will be sick. Kenny Holland will be put to the test this summer, some big changes need to be made….

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 04/08/11 at 10:33 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

This is the first Wings team of the last twenty seasons where I have no faith that they can make it past the first round.

And that sucks because I love me my Red Wings.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/08/11 at 10:33 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 04/08/11 at 08:32 PM ET

1992

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/11 at 10:35 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Funny how the perspective of a non-sports-fan can differ from ours.  My husband keeps saying: “They’re in the playoffs.  Why should they care about this game?”

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:35 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Somebody tell the dickbag in the cowboy hat along the glass who keeps stading up to keep his ass planted.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 10:35 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 04/08/11 at 08:33 PM ET

I hate to think about this because there is so much fuching talent on the team.  But it simply isn’t working.

Nice, Rusty.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:37 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Another giveaway and the Hawks get a PP.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:37 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 08:35 PM ET

you mean Murph?!!!

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/08/11 at 10:37 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Not helping Sally.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 10:37 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Nice turnover. Jeebus

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/08/11 at 10:37 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I for one, am hoping for a change of personal on the back end next year. This D has been horrible.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 04/08/11 at 10:38 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

...there is so much fuching talent on the team.  But it simply isn’t working.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/08/11 at 08:37 PM ET

That’s what has been so fuching confounding and frustrating this season.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:39 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Alright God. How about a shortie?

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 10:39 PM ET

bobinalaska's avatar

Posted by ITDeuce from The Land of Ice and Snow on 04/08/11 at 08:37 PM ET

HWBTWTDWH.

Posted by bobinalaska from Fairbanks, Palinistan on 04/08/11 at 10:40 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 04/08/11 at 08:35 PM ET

Bless his innocence.

As someone that’s been around hockey for over thirty years, however, I can tell you (him), without reservation, this is a team imploding.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/11 at 10:40 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Fuch.  Hossa.  4-0.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:40 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

Count it, game over bitches.  This team has all but given up till next Wed/Thurs.

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 10:41 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

next 5 goal must be the red wings

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/08/11 at 10:41 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Okay, I think I’m about done watching this game. It’s just to brutal.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 04/08/11 at 10:41 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

How the hell did we allow a breakaway on the PK?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 10:41 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Pull Jimmah.  He’s suffered enough.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:41 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

UGH

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/08/11 at 10:41 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

PS - I haven’t seen this much cherry picking by a team since I was playing pee-wee hockey.

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

He kicked that in.

I’m jumping out of the LB but absolutely have to watch this train wreck.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/08/11 at 10:42 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Bad break off Stu’s skate or not, there’s no reason Hossa should’ve been that far behind the D.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 10:42 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I’ll never give up..C mon Wings you can do it…Lets rock the house..

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/08/11 at 10:42 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

um, .... right

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/08/11 at 10:43 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

every single action by every single Red Wings is flat out lazy.

anybody notice Rafalski just sit there when he got knocked down?

no heart.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/08/11 at 10:43 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Bless his innocence.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste. Marie on 04/08/11 at 08:40 PM ET

Oh, I know.  I agree with you.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 10:43 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 08:41 PM ET

The thing is, I don’t think that’s enough.  Hard work and winning puck battles needs to be a habit.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:43 PM ET

bobinalaska's avatar

I don’t honestly think this team has that extra gear left in them - if they can’t be bothered to turn it on at all in the last month of the season, how can they expect to turn it on during the playoffs? I desperately want to be proven wrong, but I don’t see any signs of life from this team.

Posted by bobinalaska from Fairbanks, Palinistan on 04/08/11 at 10:44 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Screw that fugly frat-boy uberdouche. I think his face, that smug expression he always has, is the one I hate the most in the league.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 10:44 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

OK, was is just me or did the Mule just stop skating after the puck?

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 10:44 PM ET