The Malik Report

Red Wings-Blackhawks live blog: Is it about message sending? Yeah, from Detroit, to Detroit

Amidst near-calculus level equations and talk of Chris Osgood’s desire to continue playing, hype, Henrik Zetterberg panic-mongering and Mike Modano reiterating his wavering toward retiring, at least if the Wings go on a long playoff run, the Detroit Red Wings face off against the Chicago Blackhawks shortly (7:30 PM, FSD/CSN Chicago/Versus) knowing that they can either eliminate a potential playoff opponent or give the defending Stanley Cup champs all sorts of momentum while definitively losing home-ice advantage for the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Given the Wings’ very mediocre record since, um, January, the Red Wings can’t catch themselves worrying too much about their opponents or the implications of wins or losses for anyone but themselves as a team that still can’t shake the injury bug plays in its final two dress rehearsals before the playoffs begin.

Forget the hype, forget the pundits’ pre-playoff panic-mongering and make the Hawks’ playoff hopes a memory, Wings. That’s your job tonight and on Sunday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›      Next »

ITDeuce's avatar

This team does not deserve my loyalty…

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 09:08 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Screw you Mule. Just screw you and you’re loafing, lazy, heartless ass.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 09:08 PM ET

Wingfan191's avatar

I get the feeling they’re playing to just not get hurt.  No physical play at all.  Not reaching for pucks or skating at full speed through the zone.

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 09:09 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Ken sounds like he’s expecting a goal every time the puck comes in front of the Wings’ net. As disillusioned as we are.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 09:10 PM ET

monkey's avatar

They better be able to throw the switch when it really matters.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 09:10 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Is Edzo a dick? Yes. But he made a good point: The Wings are unwilling to pay the price when they dump the puck in the offensive zone.

It’s hard to pay the price if, by the time the puck gets out of the Wings zone and deep into the Hawks zone you have to make a line change.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/08/11 at 09:10 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 04/08/11 at 08:09 PM ET

That would be pathetic.  The season isn’t over yet.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 09:11 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Wait…did I just see Kopecky stand in front of the Wings net, and move the Wings defenseman as if he was the guy that should be moved??

The respect factor for this team in the NHL is dropping every day.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/11 at 09:11 PM ET

monkey's avatar

The puck has been deep in the Hawks zone?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 09:11 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I guess this is possible.  Nothing else I can think of makes sense.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 09:11 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Beauty Fil. To bad Crawford stuck with it.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 09:12 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Stop making Corey Crawford look like an NHL golatender, he’s not. He’s an AHL level scrub.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 09:12 PM ET

bobinalaska's avatar

I guess this is possible.  Nothing else I can think of makes sense.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 04/08/11 at 08:11 PM ET

How does that make sense? It’s fraking gutless, and frankly unacceptable.

Posted by bobinalaska from Fairbanks, Palinistan on 04/08/11 at 09:12 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Yep.  I’m seeing the exact same thing.  The only other thing I can think of is that this is Detroit’s way of saying FU to Dallas.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 09:12 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I was actually expecting playoff level intensity.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 09:13 PM ET

bobinalaska's avatar

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 08:12 PM ET

See, THAT would make sense. Because, you know… screw Dallas.

Posted by bobinalaska from Fairbanks, Palinistan on 04/08/11 at 09:13 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

For the last 5 months?

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 04/08/11 at 09:14 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

And it makes you wonder why they would even take the risk? Why waste all of our collective time and energy? If they want to be gutless cowards, just forefit the two games to avoid injury.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 09:15 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Again, I’m really not just trying to be all eyore here.  I’m truly not, but I hope Babs bag skates them every day until their season is over.  Seriously, they’re aren’t going to win the cup this year, and maybe that would get their attention.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/08/11 at 09:15 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

All I have to say is…

When a monkey nibbles on a weenies, it’s funny in any language.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/08/11 at 09:16 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I was actually expecting playoff level intensity.

Posted by monkey from bat country on 04/08/11 at 08:13 PM ET

And I’m expecting a unicorn to bring me a million dollars at midnight.

I win.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/11 at 09:17 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Evening Ya ALL!  I think I failed the test, you all left me behind on A2Y - Thanks, I think!

Lets Go Red WINGS!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/08/11 at 09:17 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Can’t do that.  Teams would have to refund ticket prices, no beer sales, no food sales…  MONEY.  Why.  We play.  The Game.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 09:17 PM ET

monkey's avatar

And I’m expecting a unicorn to bring me a million dollars at midnight.

I win.

Unicorn burgers for everyone!

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 04/08/11 at 09:18 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Little Redhead - glad you found us over here.  We did post at A to Y to come over here.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 09:18 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Mike Keenan: “The worst I’ve ever seen the Wings play in this era”

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/11 at 09:19 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Posted by monkey from bat country on 04/08/11 at 08:17 PM ET

They don’t deserve our hard-earned money playing this steaming pile of shit known as Red wings hockey.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 09:19 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

WTF just happened here? 1970?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/08/11 at 09:20 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Mike Keenan: “The worst I’ve ever seen the Wings play in this era”

Anyone disagree?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 09:21 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Thanks ms redwinger!  Running behind, glazing over comments, trying to catch up and missed it. Alls Good ~ still love the 19+ and the WINGS, desite tonights performance…...nuff said

Lets Go Red WINGS!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/08/11 at 09:21 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

It’s so easy to beat Chicago’s system too. They forecheck aggresively? You make quick crisp passes, maybe as many as five, but you make them all lightning fast, tape-to-tape, and get out with a 2-on-2 or 3-on-2 going the other way. It’s not rocket science Detroit, you did it regularly in 07/08, do it again.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/08/11 at 09:22 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Anyone disagree?

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 08:21 PM ET

Just talking aboot that with my lucky half. Sad but true.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/08/11 at 09:22 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Not - I repeat NOT - giving up.  40 minutes of hockey to go.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/08/11 at 09:23 PM ET

bobinalaska's avatar

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/08/11 at 08:21 PM ET

As a member of the reality-based community, I’m not inclined to disagree with facts.

Posted by bobinalaska from Fairbanks, Palinistan on 04/08/11 at 09:23 PM ET

If I remember right Draper was scratched during the 10 goal game as well, and I found myself wondering who else would have the cojones/respect of teammates to ream them in the room during intermission.

Posted by herschel c. wollmack on 04/08/11 at 09:24 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I think we will win tonight ,,.Go Red wings…..

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/08/11 at 09:27 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I will always love the Red Wings, too…that’s why I want these FUCHING FRAUDS in the legendary Winged Wheel tonight to take those jerseys off and give them to someone that understands what a privilege it is to be a Red Wing.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/08/11 at 09:27 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Is there anything about the scratch rules that prevents him from going down there and flipping a table or two?

Not plannin to shut this game off, but it’s getting very close to being put in ignore mode. 2nd period had better have some tempo.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/08/11 at 09:28 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

First day posting on this thing, and I’ve followed for a little bit, but I guess with Z being out, there’s a big difference with the team. Well, least there’s the National Championship Game to watch tomorrow. GO BLUE!

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 04/08/11 at 09:28 PM ET