The Malik Report
by George Malik on 03/04/12 at 05:56 PM ET
Update #2: According to FSD’s Trevor Thompson, Bertuzzi will play today, and FSD’s Dana Wakiji is confirming.
Update: Per the Detroit News’s David Guralnick, good news:
Pavel Datsyuk skated around by himself for about 15 minutes earlier today.
As the Detroit Red Wings prepare to face off against the Chicago Blackhawks this afternoon (4 PM EST, FSD with Justin Abdelkader “mic’ed up” for the game/WGN/NHL Network U.S.—i.e. Center Ice/GameCenter Live are gonna be blacked out/97.1 the Ticket), we have a spartan but no less important slate of pre-game updates. Neither team took a morning skate due to the mid-afternoon start, but MLive’s Ansar Khan clarified Todd Bertuzzi’s situation (groin issues) as it applies to Chris Conner possibly replacing #44 if the Wings choose to sit him out for precautionary reasons…
@Wings_Power Bertuzzi will take pregame warmup and then decide if he can play. That was the last I heard.
• The Red Wings’ website both reminded us that the team’s “Wives and Girlfriends” will be holding a puck draw to benefit the family of Brad McCrimmon and posted a game-day preview in which Ken Kal speaks to Henrik Zetterberg and Brad Stuart about today’s match-up…
• MLive’s Brendan Savage is asking fans to weigh in—and so I’ll ask the same question—as to whether Henrik Zetterberg or Pavel Datsyuk will succeed Nicklas Lidstrom as the team’s captain two years from now, wink wink nudge nudge;
Detroit (89 points) will again be without defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom (ankle) and center Pavel Datsyuk (knee) when Chicago comes to Joe Louis Arena on Sunday (4 p.m. ET; NHL Network-US). A win will move the Wings into the top spot in the West.
Kreiser also gave Henrik Zetterberg a pat on the back in his fantasy hockey column:
Henrik Zetterberg—With Pavel Datsyuk out following knee surgery, Detroit needs more production from Zetterberg, and lately he’s been producing. Zetterberg had a goal and two assists on Friday and is 2-6-8 in his last three games.
• Rotoworld.com reminds us that Ray Emery will oppose Jimmy Howard in today’s goaltending match-up;
• The Monroe News’s Paul Wethington reports that all went well when Darren McCarty signed autographs at a Walmart in Frenchtown Township…
• According to the Red Wings’ Twitter account, today is Dresden, Ontario native Trevor Thompson’s birthday;
• As a reminder, the full recap of today’s game won’t be posted until alter this evening: the Hawks’ press won’t fully update their stories till around 11 PM EST, and the last of the Wings press’s stories will roll in around 2 AM, so I’ll post a “quick take” and keep my eyes peeled for gnus and gnotes of note…
• And here’s hoping that the Wings, who tend not to show up before 7:30 PM EST, “Get started on time” and take out the Hawks today.
Update: The Chief duly noted that Sharks GM Doug Wilson offered some Red Wings comparisons, past and present, while talking about Patrick Marleau versus Pavel Datsyuk and Joe Thornton versus Steve Yzerman.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Malik Report
The Malik Report is a destination for all things Red Wings-related. I offer biased, perhaps unprofessional-at-times and verbose coverage of my favorite team, their prospects and developmental affiliates. I've joined the Kukla's Korner family with five years of blogging under my belt, and I hope you'll find almost everything you need to follow your Red Wings at a place where all opinions are created equal and we're all friends, talking about hockey and the team we love to follow.