The Malik Report
by George Malik on 06/25/14 at 03:25 PM ET
Updated 3x at 6:17 PM: Some of this might be repetitious for KK readers, but here's what I've found in terms of Red Wings-related "wining and dining" news today.
First, the Free Press's Helene St. James reported this about Dan Boyle...
Second, if you didn't read ESPN's Pierre LeBrun's Rumblings, here's what he found from speaking to both Boyle and his agent, George Bazos:
Getting a two-year deal is very important and Bazos is confident he can make it happen for Boyle, who turns 38 on July 12. Contracts signed by players who are 35 and over count against the salary cap regardless of whether the players complete them or not. That’s why there’s risk involved.
"I still think he can really help a team, he’s still a great skater and a terrific character guy," said one Eastern Conference team executive Wednesday.
Boyle indeed remains a terrific skater and puck mover, so two years doesn’t seem like that much of a stretch.
"It’s not to say that I can’t play any longer than that, but mentally and physically I’ve committed myself to two years. I feel great right now," Boyle said. "The only thing I know for sure is that I have two very good years left in me and then I can see after that."
While neither Boyle nor Bazos would divulge which teams had already shown interest, other sources around the league confirmed Toronto, Detroit and the New York Rangers were among the several teams that have shown interest in Boyle.
One source described the Maple Leafs' interest as "serious." And the Rangers are also very interested, especially pending the outcome of talks with UFA D-man Anton Stralman.
LeBrun continues with other news...
And third, a reader asked me a question on Twitter last night that I had to consider seriously: would the Wings possibly go after Jarome Iginla--assuming that the Boston Bruins don't re-sign the 36-year-old forward--and then, if Daniel Alfredsson is, as Mike Babcock suggested and Ken Holland intimated, going to continue to evaluate whether he wants to return after July 1st...
Could the team end up signing Iginla to a moderate-salary-plus-next-year-bonuses deal, and bring Daniel Alfredsson into camp on a pro try-out?
Yes, I could see that happening. I'd also be okay with that, especially if it's Alfredsson over Cleary.
Iginla and Alfredsson Drawn Together: Jarome Iginla and Daniel Alfredsson could have an impact on each other's future, depending on whether they both get what they want, which is to sign where they played last year. Iginla wants to stay with the Boston Bruins and there's talk they're negotiating on both a two-year deal and perhaps a one-year deal maybe very similar to the contract he signed with the Bruins last year with a cap hit of $1.8 million with a bonus structure that deeply impacted the Bruins. If they can't get a deal done in Boston, then the Detroit Red Wings are among the teams that are keenly interested in Iginla as well. The Red Wings also have interest in Alfredsson, who is believed to be coming back but he hasn't made it 100 per cent certain yet. He works on his own timeframe, similar to Teemu Selanne but I'm also told he's willing to be flexible.
Quick update: Also:
1. Kyle Woodlief's draft chat on USA Today is available in digested form;
2. The Globe and Mail's James Mirtle profiled 10 free agent-to-be defensemen, and the Wings are probably interested in four of them:
1. Matt Niskanen: It was a breakout year for the 27-year-old in Pittsburgh, as with Kris Letang out for long stretches, he logged 21 minutes a night and put up 46 points, both highs among available D this off-season. Colorado could be one fit here, but the reality is his asking price is going to skyrocket: If Nikita Nikitin is getting $4.5-million in this market, Niskanen’s looking at $6-million plus and plenty of term.
2. Dan Boyle: Part of the Sharks housecleaning, Boyle still has some game left, but teams are going to have to be wary of his age (he turns 38 shortly after free agency opens) and price tag (mainly on the term side). Boyle’s a right shot that can quarterback a power play so some contending team is going to be interested.
3. Tom Gilbert: Left on the free agent bargain heap last season before eventually signing in Florida for just $900,000, Gilbert is due a raise after helping anchor the Panthers top pairing all season. There aren’t many solid possession D available for what he’ll cost, and his work very well may be overlooked given how much Florida struggled to win games.
4. Anton Stralman: One of the playoffs big time beneficiaries when it comes to July 1. GMs around the league saw Stralman could play top four minutes on a contending team given that’s what he did with the Rangers, pairing with Marc Staal to shutdown Sidney Crosby and other top lines. Not much of a point producer, Stralman is a smooth skating puck mover and after all the uncertainty in his career, he’s looking for security. Could be a shocking number here.
3. The Sporting News's Dimitri Filipovic Corsi'd the Eastern Conference's teams. Here are his results for the Wings:
DETROIT RED WINGS
Suffice to say, the Red Wings could be an absolute nightmare next season. With David Legwand, Mikael Samuelsson, Todd Bertuzzi and Dan Cleary (a combined 135 years old) coming off of the books, all of the cultivating of young talent that Ken Holland, the Red Wings and “Gutalytics” have done in recent years could reach full bloom next season.
Here are the zone-adjusted rates of those under-25 forwards: Tomas Tatar (56.3%), Gustav Nyquist (56.1%), Riley Sheahan (55.7%), Tomas Jurco (54.2%). Those four, in comparison, are a combined 90 years old. The future is pretty, pretty, pretty bright in Detroit. Especially if they can get more than 45 games out of either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. They’re aspiring to greater things.
Update #2: For what it's worth, USA Today's Kevin Allen's Mock Draft has the Wings taking the following player...
15. Detroit Red Wings: Center Dylan Larkin (U.S. under-18). The dependable two-way forward would fit perfectly into Detroit's puck-possession offense. He's a good skater.
Update #3: Ken Holland the good, discussing the wining and dining period, from the Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness...
“I like it,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said in a phone interview. “It’s excellent for the players.”
The time to “wine and dine” free agents began Wednesday. Teams can begin signing players on July 1.
“Before you’d get to signing day and the player and team would have to make a decision in like an hour or two,” Holland said. “Now teams have the opportunity to let players know they have interest and to tell them how they would fit in on our team.
“It’s an opportunity to see what’s out there, to talk to players we got some interest in, let them know what we’re thinking,” Holland added. “It’s an opportunity to sell your program.”
And Ken Holland the bad:
“Ideally, we’ll make a move on the back end and add one more forward,” Holland said. “We’re going to wait until June 30 to see if we’re going to do anything with our guys.”
Defenseman Kyle Quincey, who’s unrestricted, is expected to hit the open market. Alfredsson and Daniel Cleary, who was promised a possible extension after signing a one-year deal on the first day of training camp, could both re-signed as well.
“Dan Cleary is a guy that when he signed here last year for a one-year deal, we had conversations beyond one year because he had contract offers or three years from a couple of teams,” Holland said.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Malik Report
The Malik Report is a destination for all things Red Wings-related. I offer biased, perhaps unprofessional-at-times and verbose coverage of my favorite team, their prospects and developmental affiliates. I've joined the Kukla's Korner family with five years of blogging under my belt, and I hope you'll find almost everything you need to follow your Red Wings at a place where all opinions are created equal and we're all friends, talking about hockey and the team we love to follow.