The Malik Report

Red Wings will still have to earn a point in Dallas to make the playoffs

FYI: The Columbus Blue Jackets defeated the Dallas Stars 3-1 on Thursday night, so the Detroit Red Wings (23-16-and-8, 54 points, 21 regulation-or-OT wins) will have to at least earn one point in Saturday's road game against the Stars--because Columbus (23-17-and-7, 53 points, 18 ROWs) can max out at 55 points if they defeat Nashville at home.

In such a situation, Columbus would have 24 wins and a maximum of 19 regulation-or-OT wins, but even with an OT or shootout loss in Dallas, the Wings would have 21 ROWs, so they'd win the tiebreaker.

The Blue Jackets asked the Stars for a favor...

And the Wings may ask the Predators to do the same, but no matter what, if the Wings earn a point, they're in. The Wings could still theoretically surpass the Minnesota Wild to take 7th place, too, but the Wild (25-18-and-3, 53 points, 21 ROWs) have 2 games remaining, so that's unlikely.

Update: This much is good:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Red Wings will still have to earn a point in Dallas to make the playoffs

not if Columbus loses their last game, right?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/25/13 at 10:25 PM ET

Looks like I’m gonna be shitting my pants for the next two days.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 04/25/13 at 10:27 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Let’s win on Saturday just in case.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/25/13 at 10:27 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I don’t know if this is any simpler, but the maximum/minimum points for the three teams
and seed range:
Wild 57/53 Seeds 6-9 (they still could catch San Jose)
Red Wings 56/54 Seeds 7-9
Blue Jackets 55/53 Seeds 7-9
The Blue Jackets lose all tiebreakers
The Wild win all tie breakers

Posted by Bugsy on 04/25/13 at 10:54 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

One correction: I meant to say the Wild win the tie breaker vs. the Wings or Blue Jackets.

Posted by Bugsy on 04/25/13 at 10:57 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

in case anyone cares wings have beaten lehtonen in dallas last 2 times.

Posted by DAN M on 04/25/13 at 11:15 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

giving up 11 goals in those 2 games too

Posted by DAN M on 04/25/13 at 11:18 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

how’d we do the last time facing a finn goalie on the road with nothing to play for though

Posted by DAN M on 04/25/13 at 11:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Does Mule have some wicked hands in close or what?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/25/13 at 11:51 PM ET

Let’s win on Saturday just in case.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/25/13 at 11:27 PM ET

+19.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 04/26/13 at 12:21 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Ken Daniels was annoying the H out of me last night saying several times that the Wings could finish 7th seed then added they probably wouldn’t want that, lol, uh what? Yeah because playing Chicago the President Trophy winners and a team that is MUCH better than the anaheim ducks would be preferable, haha.
Minny has the Oil and the Avs left to play. Something tells me they don’t want to lose out and have to play Chicago.
Rumored a drunken Eddie “The Eagle” Belfour will be in net for dallas on Saturday night!

shock

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 04/26/13 at 06:48 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 04/26/13 at 07:48 AM ET

Ken Daniels is a good play by play guy but he can be a real annoying little twerp. Yeah, I still miss Dave Strader downer

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/26/13 at 07:11 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Nevertheless, that’s what I’m pulling for, and I bet you 9 of 10 Wings want that too.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/26/13 at 07:54 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

You know what, should we make the Play-Offs (and we’d better, gosh darn in!) I’m more than happy to face Chicago.  Sure we lost all 4 in the Regular Season, but 3 of them were of the OT/Shoot-out variety. Yeah, we got blown out on Easter, but that was all the chocolate bunnies and Pre-game Peeps weighing us down. So we can play with Chicago.

Plus, I really want us to upset the ‘Hawks in the Play-offs, so that all my suddenly Super-smug Blackhawk “fan” friends will have to shut up and jump back off the bandwagon.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/26/13 at 08:59 AM ET

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 04/26/13 at 07:48 AM ET

I’d pay a billion dollars to see that.

Posted by mc keeper on 04/26/13 at 09:15 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

It would be nice to beat Chicago in the last postseason matchup of this era. That series victory would be much sweeter than beating the (formerly) Disney Ducks.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/26/13 at 09:30 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I’m thinking Chicago is the better matchup simply because of the ease of travel.  Anaheim?  ugh.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/26/13 at 09:58 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Yeah, but the only downside is dealing with Eddie Ice Patch rooting for his home team from the broadcast booth.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/26/13 at 10:37 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/26/13 at 11:37 AM ET

Easy solution: Don’t listen.
Why people listen to those NBC tools is beyond me

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/26/13 at 10:58 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Because Doc Emerick is a legendary broadcaster…he just keeps getting drawn down to the level of Pierre McGwhiney and Subtle Interference.

Seriously, drop those two dead weights and bring in Darren Pang and Billy Clement to work with Doc.  Or even Darryl Reagh (sp?). I do love the occasional spout out of “A Mastadonic Glove Grab!”

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/26/13 at 11:02 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Not everyone like Emerick either.  For me it isn’t just by association.  However, I would at least be willing to give him a shot with a different team, as I don’t think it can be any worse.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 04/26/13 at 11:10 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/26/13 at 12:02 PM ET

I actually like Emrick, not so much for his content, but his cadence.  He’s good behind the mic.  My only real knock on him is that he seems to be getting lost more and more.  Sometimes its like he forgets what game he is calling.  I honestly wonder if senility is setting in on him.

You know who I miss though?  Gary Thorne.  Loved that guy.

I’m sick of Pierre and I’m sick of Olcyzk.  I don’t think Pierre is all that biased but damn that dude is annoying.  Olcyzk is a whole different story though.  Fuch that guy.  I think your suggestions of Pang, Reagh, or Clement are good ones too.  How awesome would it be if Mickey still did national broadcasts?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/26/13 at 12:43 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I would just be happy if they got a couple guys who actually CALL THE GAME instead of just chit chatting the whole time.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/26/13 at 12:46 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

It’s safe to say I will never put money on whatever horse Edzo tells me to.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/26/13 at 12:53 PM ET

harken23's avatar

My two beefs with Emerick are 1> He ALWAYS uses the passive voice in all his calls (“The puck is foisted in by “, “He’s hammered by <other player>”, etc). Just say that somebody shot the darn puck once! and 2> His “IT WOULDN’T GO!!!!” call that he yells on seemingly every shot at the net that doesn’t result in a goal. WHY didn’t it go? Did it hit somebody at the D, or did the goalie make a save, or did it miss entirely, or hit the post? He sounds like a little kid whose toy train is broken… </rant>

Posted by harken23 on 04/26/13 at 04:37 PM ET