The Malik Report

Red Wings VP Jimmy Devellano preaches hardline stance regarding owners’ lockout

Well, Red Wings fans, if you ever wondered whether the team's ownership or front office supports the lockout, VP Jimmy Devellano sprung to Gary Bettman's defense while speaking to the (Victoria, British Columbia) Island News's Scott Harrigan--before suggesting that the players' rejection of the owners' CBA proposal is nothing less than an "ungrateful" gesture, and mocking the NHLPA's solidarity given that players have headed to Europe to continue playing hockey.

It's a shocking interview if you aren't familiar with Devellano's rather militant anti-labor/player leanings, and my goodness, does he ever issue warm fuzzies regarding the Chairman (and the bolding/italics are Harrigan's)...

"I think it should be clear up front that Gary Bettman works for the owners, not the players, and he is now entering his 20th year doing this. The owners direct him on what to do. I was at the meetings last week and I'm here to tell you when there was a call to vote for the lockout, it was 30 to NONE in favour by the owners. So I ask you Scott, why is that Gary Bettman's fault and not the owners?"

"I don't hear people saying bad things about Ed Snider in Philadelphia, or Mike Illitch in Detroit. It is always people jumping on Bettman and to be honest he doesn't care. Maybe that's what irks the fans is that he comes away looking like it doesn't bother him in the least. But I will tell you this Scott, it does bother him, he has said as much to me many times. He has said he wished he wasn't booed wherever he goes, or that every time he reads the papers he is slammed. It does bother him greatly. However he knows what his job is and he does it well."

"Another reason people come down hard on him is that a lot of folks truly believe he is the driving force behind all the decisions on how owners proceed. Some of this is true, but I can tell you he is directed by 30 separate business owners who all give him advice and he has to take all of this and come back to all of them with what makes the most sense as a group. Not an easy thing to do, but he does it and does it well."

"Don't forget too that these owners aren't dumb guys and they are very aggressive men who run multi-million and multi-billion dollar companies. They want results and don't want to hear excuses and complaints as to what their employees may want. When you have Jeremy Jacobs (Boston) or Illitch (Detroit) calling him looking for advice, he has to have an answer forthwith."

That's just part of an incredibly spirited defense of Bettman, including suggestions that the media treats him patently unfairly, and that Bettman is in fact a good guy and not the...well, person you and I tend to believe him to be...

And, well, wow:

ISN: So what do you think is the solution?

"I'll make a suggestion Scott. Let the players take 43% and let the owners take 57%. Just reverse it from where it is now and let the owners run the rest of their business and manage their expenses. Now keep in mind this time around it's not just revenue sharing that is the issue. There are many, many more components at play here, from entry level contracts, years of service, insurance, etc. I mean a whole bucket load of disputes that are just as important for the owners to need to get a fair deal done."

"Yes, they are billionaires. Good on them, they deserve it, but they also make their employees millionaires. Not a bad trade off for a guy like Lucic getting what, 6 million dollars a year? I mean good on him too, but he should be grateful. Understand though that these players want for nothing...its first class this, first class that, meal allowances, travel money on the road, the whole shebang. Offer sheets don't hurt the players one bit."

ISN: Last thing Jimmy, any thoughts on players moving on and playing for the KHL or other European Leagues during the lockout?

"The players are doing what they have to do, but it's funny, you talk about solidarity and a handful have already bolted. You know who they are...like they need the money...yeah right! But I would caution them to be very careful not to get hurt because as of two days ago, we pulled all their league insurance (dental, medical, player) and all the benefits for each player, so if they get hurt, the NHL will not pay them one dime until they are cleared by league doctors and to the owner's satisfaction that the player is 100% fit and able to perform."

ISN: Do you think the fans will miss the NHL if it is suspended for any length of time?

"Remember it is just the NHL that is on strike, not any other league. Fans of the game should go see their AHL, ECHL or other minor pro team, or more importantly, to the best of your ability, support your local junior and minor hockey teams. Show these kids how much you really care for hockey. The NHL situation will get sorted out, but its complicated - I'm in the middle of it and its complicated for me too - and may take some time. Until then, go out and enjoy the game at the grass roots level and have some fun."

Devellano continues, and does so at some length, claiming that Donald Fehr wants to get rid of the salary cap, and openly calling players "cattle" grazing at the owners' "ranches."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

creasemonkey's avatar

Why does my mind read this as if it were said by Jack Adams?

Posted by creasemonkey from sweet home san diego on 09/21/12 at 02:53 AM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Just WOW!! ... I’ve never seen this side of Jimmy D. before.  If I didn’t know any better I’d swear someone slipped something into his drink before the interview.

The only part that sounded like the real Jimmy D. was the last bit about supporting the other hockey leagues.

This is going to take some time to digest.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 09/21/12 at 03:23 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

All I can say is that the owners’ public arrogance, disdain for the “talent” that brings the walking dollar signs, a.k.a. fans, to the “trough,” and their mocking attitude regarding fans’ abilities to understand what’s going on, never mind their over-estimations of fan loyalty, are all…Terrifying. They do not bode well in terms of the possibility of any NHL hockey being played this season.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/21/12 at 03:47 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Doesn’t surprise me. Typical corporate contemptuous and dismissive attitude.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 09/21/12 at 04:26 AM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Agreed .... I think we’ve got ourselves another lost season, and thats a shame because the Winter Classic and all of the games/activities leading up to it were going to absolutely kick major ass.  If the owners think there will be the same excitement and revenue generated after a full season lockout then they need their heads examined.

The part that worries me most is, the owners are billionaires because they own other businesses. Owning a hockey team is their ‘hobby’ ... something to occupy their time when they want to get away from the other business crap.  For hockey players, this is their only source of income.

Most owners use their hockey losses as a tax write-off so I’d imagine they could care less if an entire season is lost ... again.

On Dec. 24th, I’d like to see all of the players open a class action suit against the NHL for breech of contract.  Nice way to say ‘Merry Christmas’ to your boss ... baaaahahahaha

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 09/21/12 at 04:38 AM ET

“I don’t hear people saying bad things about Ed Snider in Philadelphia, or Mike Illitch in Detroit. It is always people jumping on Bettman and to be honest he doesn’t care.

Can someone be half right? The fact that Bettamn doesn’t care about the fans seems to be accurate.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 09/21/12 at 08:15 AM ET

Will we see a $1 million dollar fine for this rant as well?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 09/21/12 at 08:17 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

looking forward for the wc in helsinki this year, will be awesome like 2005 in austria!
thank you jimmy d. and the rest of you heartless arrogant owners.
the nhl is dead for me, good players will always find a place to play, i can finally watch every game with datsyuk during primetime. no more staying up until 1 or 2 am. i have no problem with 3 years of lockout, please go for it. european teams will welcome the talent level.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 09/21/12 at 09:47 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Pretty disgusting side of Jimmy D to be honest, agree with everything you said George.  Definitely a chink in the Red Wing’s armor.  You always thought as good as the club treats it’s players they couldn’t possibly think what Jimmy D does, but clearly we do have a Bettman friendly attitude in our front office and it’s not reluctant at all, it seems welcomed.  I wonder if Kenny feels the same way or Nill.  I think it’s telling about Mr. I unfortunately, as well.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/21/12 at 10:41 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I think JD might forget just how blue-collar Detroit is.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/21/12 at 10:45 AM ET