The Malik Report

Red Wings’ Teemu Pulkkinen gets four games for hit on Kostka

This is...An interesting way to announce a suspesion. Per RedWingsFeed and Detroit Sports Nation's Jeff Deacon:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

shanetx's avatar

That seems pretty fair to me.  He’s young, clearly wasn’t trying to hurt the guy (that angle really showed how much he let up), but you still can’t make that hit.  Sit for four, enjoy your trip to the AHL and we’ll see you next year.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 09/19/13 at 06:14 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Only problem I have is where were the Suspensions during the Stanley Cup Playoffs for worse hits than this. Different Rule books for Pre Season, Regular season and Playoffs??  Just be consistent, PLEASE!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 09/19/13 at 07:07 PM ET

perfection's avatar

While I do agree that they should be consistent in calling what’s legal and what’s not, I think they probably should weigh regular and post season games differently in terms of suspensions. Missing a playoff game is already inherently a huge penalty for player and team. Every game just means so much.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/19/13 at 07:32 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/19/13 at 08:32 PM ET

I understand your view.  BUT Weber trying to make Z’s head part of the Glass is a Penalty, suspension in any game, any league.

One rule book, IMO. Many interpretations by Refs make it a Joke and dangerous and can change outcomes of game.  It will never change just frustrates me! Fine , suspend the officials. Sigh!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 09/19/13 at 07:50 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/19/13 at 08:32 PM ET

Bollocks.

If anything the suspensions should be longer in the playoffs. Why? How the hell else will anyone learn?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/19/13 at 09:11 PM ET

perfection's avatar

i don’t really think there’s many lessons to be learned. how many of these suspensions are coming on purposeful acts? The Weber example is perhaps one, but for the most part they look like this Pulkkinen hit where split second decisions are made at extremely high speeds with very small margins of errors. Sometimes mistakes are made. I really don’t think whether someone gets 2 games or 10 games it makes that much of a difference with a lot of these infractions. It’s not like Pulkkinen needs to learn that boarding is illegal. He just got too excited and screwed up, nothing more.

Still, I think even a one or two game suspension in the playoffs is massive and sends a really strong message that would make most guys learn. I’d bet most players would rather be suspended 10 games in the regular season than miss one or two playoff games.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/19/13 at 11:52 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Whew. Fair call. Team didn’t get hammered for a bad decision by a young kid looking to make his mark.

That being said….Kostka should have known a hammer was about to hit him. He was in the ugly place.

Note for young players: always always always be aware of line changes….someone rested with a head full of steam is ALWAYS about to go for the puck.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/20/13 at 12:48 AM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

If the rules are in place for player safety then there should be no difference between regular season and playoff games.  Do certain hits become less dangerous because it is the playoffs?  The playoffs are the best time to send a statement on player safety because the suspensions would be that much more detrimental.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 09/20/13 at 08:11 AM ET