The Malik Report

Red Wings state that Steve Yzerman will play in the Alumni Showdown

Wow. The man's barely skated since he retired, but the Red Wings are reporting that Steve Yzerman will play in the Alumni Showdown:

Timing!

Here comes a press release:

STEVE YZERMAN COMMITS TO 2013 MAPLE LEAFS VS. RED WINGS ALUMNI SHOWDOWN™
… ‘The Captain’ to Reunite with Former Teammates at Comerica Park on Dec. 31 …

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today announced that former captain Steve Yzerman has committed to the team’s alumni roster for the 2013 Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings Alumni Showdown™ on Tuesday, Dec. 31, at Comerica Park as part of the 2013 SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival™.

“Steve is one of the greatest Red Wings players ever,” said Red Wings general manager Ken Holland. “His presence at the Alumni Showdown makes a great day even better.”

The longest-serving captain in NHL history, Yzerman first donned his iconic ‘C’ on Oct. 7, 1986, making him the youngest captain in franchise history. Originally drafted with the fourth choice of the 1983 NHL Entry Draft, Yzerman jumped immediately to the NHL the following season and led the Red Wings in scoring as a rookie, becoming the first 18-year-old in NHL history to make the All-Star Game. His early career was defined by his offensive ability, when he posted six straight 100-point seasons from 1987-93, including a career-high 155 points (65-90-155) in 80 games in 1988-89.

After helping Detroit to deep playoff runs on several occasions, Yzerman first raised the Stanley Cup in 1997 and ended a 42-year championship drought for the Red Wings – a feat he would repeat with the team in 1998. While still pacing the team offensively, Yzerman continued to develop as a leader and a two-way player, capturing the Frank J. Selke Trophy as the league’s best defensive forward in 2000. The Cranbrook, British Columbia, native would lead Detroit to a third Stanley Cup in 2002 and the team’s fifth President’s Trophy under his captaincy as the NHL’s top regular-season club in 2005-06, his final season in the NHL.

Yzerman retired as the sixth all-time leading scorer in NHL history and still ranks among the Red Wings’ all-time greats with 1,514 games played (4th), 692 goals (2nd), 1,063 assists (1st) and 1,755 points (2nd). A 10-time NHL All-Star, Yzerman was also honored with the Lester B. Pearson Award (1989), Conn Smythe Trophy (1998), Selke Trophy (2000), NHL First Team All-Star (2000), Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (2003) and the Lester Patrick Trophy (2006). His No. 19 jersey was retired by Detroit on Jan. 2, 2007, and he was inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2009.

The latest Red Wings’ alumni roster can be found at  http://www.DetroitRedWings.com/AlumniShowdownRosters Fans .can secure their chance to see Yzerman and his former teammates in action by purchasing tickets at http://www.DetroitRedWings.com/2014WinterClassic or by calling 313-471-7575. Each ticket is good for both games of the New Year’s Eve doubleheader (1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.). The contests are the final events of the 2013 SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival™ before the 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich., on Jan. 1, 2014.

And now a video:

Yes, yes indeed:

Update: The Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness duly notes that Yzerman has officially commited to playing in the game per se, and the Tampa Bay Times' Damian Cristodero noted that he hasn't skated save 2 or 3 times since he retired.

Something tells me that Tomas Holmstrom's going to hook Yzerman up with some Synvisc--synthetic knee joint fluid--to help cushion Yzerman's lack of any real ligature, but I would expect his participation to be limited. And medicated.

Update #2: The Free Press added the Wings' roster, and again, the games will air on Fox Sports Detroit, the CBC and the NHL Network:

Red Wings Alumni Showdown roster

29 Mike Vernon 1994-97

30 Chris Osgood 1993-01

34 Manny Legace 1999-06

35 Ken Holland 1983-84

41 Eddie Mio 1983-86

Update #2.5: From the Free Press's Helene St. James:

Kris Draper on Steve Yzerman joining WC alumni roster: "Great to have a teammate who meant so much to all of us on and off the ice."

added 3:58pm, via Helene St. James tweets,

Steve Yzerman on WC Alumni Showdown: "This event is an opportunity to celebrate the history of the Red Wings and I"m happy to be involved."

"I really look forward to seeing a lot of very good friends."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

I can’t believe it.  Maybe it’s just for a shift or two, but this is pretty cool.  Very happy to see this happening.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/10/13 at 02:41 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Holy shit, I wish I could be there!

Btw, does anyone know if the alumni games will be televised? If so, will they show on Gamecenter live?
I know its a long shot, but I would rather see it on gamecenter live than on pirate streamings…

Posted by Zqto on 12/10/13 at 02:57 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Games will be televised via Fox Sports Detroit in Metro Detroit, on the NHL Network U.S. and in the CBC in Canada.

I don’t anticipate Yzerman to skate very much given that his knee’s not really a working joint, but any shift would be welcome.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/10/13 at 03:02 PM ET

Now, I cannot wait to see the Alumni game.  I wanted to see the Alumni game, but his presence just clinches it for me.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 12/10/13 at 03:06 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Got to love our Stevie!!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/10/13 at 03:18 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Whoa…I…I…feel all funny inside like…um…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/10/13 at 03:20 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Meh.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 12/10/13 at 03:21 PM ET

YouTube uber-user, awood40, uploaded a vintage Yzerman five-point game against the Laffs.

Thanks so much, awood.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 12/10/13 at 03:26 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Ken Daniels totally knew

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 12/10/13 at 03:33 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Ken Daniels totally knew

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand

Yup. He’s been saying all along that he had a “feeling” that Yzerman would play.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/10/13 at 03:42 PM ET

I can’t believe anyone didn’t have that same feeling.

Posted by Garth on 12/10/13 at 03:44 PM ET

perfection's avatar

and he’s been saying it with that I-Know-Something-You-Don’t-Know tone…

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 12/10/13 at 03:50 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

21 Paul Ysebaert 1990-93

Well Samuelsson should be all excited. (Thanks, Tyler)...

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/10/13 at 03:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added a few comments from Yzerman to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/10/13 at 04:00 PM ET

hiero4life's avatar

I need to have a smoke after watching that video. Yzerman is the reason for the season.  The Captain Returns

Posted by hiero4life from anywhere i am on 12/10/13 at 04:51 PM ET

Speaking of Ken Daniels.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 12/10/13 at 04:58 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

O’ Captain, My Captain.

man im all choked up watching that vid.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 12/10/13 at 05:19 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I do not think that G.  Howe can skate any longer, or it would be great to have Howe, Delvecchio and Stevie start the game up front.

I am absolutely thrilled that this is happening.  The alums may overshadow the “real” game, you know!

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 12/10/13 at 05:45 PM ET

This needs 19 comments.

Posted by maltby18 on 12/10/13 at 07:40 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I didn’t have a feeling The Captain would play, I knew he would.  I’ve got my tickets sitting in my fire safe and I’m just waiting for my plane to show up to take me to Detroit!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/10/13 at 08:24 PM ET