The Malik Report

Red Wings send Carlo Colaiacovo to Grand Rapids for conditioning

This is not the news regarding a Red Wings defenseman that I was expecting this morning:

Update:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

So much for Der Kaiser’s decision before noon, eh?

Posted by Hootinani on 03/29/13 at 12:04 PM ET

Now all they have to do is waive him.

Posted by teldar on 03/29/13 at 12:09 PM ET

Who do they have in Grand Rapids that they can pay to injure Colaiacovo again?

Actually, nevermind.  If they let him practice with the Griffins I’m sure he can find a way to injure himself…

Posted by Garth on 03/29/13 at 12:26 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Can somebody remind me again why Holland signed this guy? Sorry, but I keep forgetting.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/29/13 at 12:35 PM ET

CMthe4th's avatar

George, I’ve been following the Dekeyser-watch for the past few days and I’ve realized that I don’t fully understand how the NHL draft-system works.

I know that the entry draft is restricted to 18-20 year-olds, but how do they determine which 18-20 year-olds are available to be drafted? How does a player skirt the entry draft to become a free-agent like Dekeyser? If Dekeyser is a free-agent, why is he limited to an entry-level contract? Also, why is his contract limited to 2 years when most entry-level contracts are 3 years? How did Brunner get a 1-year contract?

Sorry for the barrage of questions; I kind of got on a roll there… and sorry if you’ve gone over this before.

Posted by CMthe4th on 03/29/13 at 12:35 PM ET

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/29/13 at 12:35 PM ET

To replace Lidstrom and Stuart, duh!

Posted by Garth on 03/29/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/29/13 at 12:35 PM ET

He was brought in to push and challenge the team doctors and trainers and make sure they are at the top of their game come the playoffs

Posted by lancer on 03/29/13 at 12:47 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Not sure they needed the extra work load this year.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/29/13 at 12:54 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Posted by

CMthe4th

on 03/29/13 at 12:35 PM ET

From how I’ve always understood it, if you want to play in the NHL at that age, you have to declare for the draft.  If you declare for the draft and you’re not drafted, you’re not required to declare again; if you develop or someone decides you’re good enough, YOU get to decide where you’ll play as no one owns your rights.  The situation must have been that DeKeyser declared for the draft once or several times and was never drafted; therefore he is a free agent today.  But I would guess that his age is what ties him to the entry level contract - I don’t have any footnotes from the CBA at the moment..

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 03/29/13 at 01:07 PM ET

CMthe4th's avatar

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 03/29/13 at 01:07 PM ET

Okay, that makes sense about declaring for the draft. Thanks for the explanation. I ended up finding a page on capgeek that pretty much answers the second half of my question:

18-21 year-olds (most drafted players) get 3 years