The Malik Report

Red Wings pick Tyler Bertuzzi 58th overall

Updated 6x at 8:50 PM: The Detroit Red Wings have picked Todd Bertuzzi's nephew, Tyler Bertuzzi, with the 58th overall pick. And Bob McKenzie stated, "He makes David Bolland look like a Lady Byng Trophy winner."

6 feet tall, 178 pounds, unranked by Central Scouting, 17 points and 117 PIM in 61 games with Guelph.

Update #1:

Quoting the Guelph Mercury:

TYLER BERTUZZI: Call it the Andrew Shaw Factor in honour of the undrafted former Owen Sound Attack player who played a key role in the Chicago Black Hawks' Stanley Cup run.

Teams love to uncover the kid that brings intangibles to winning teams that don't show up on stat sheets: grit, toughness, heart and intestinal fortitude. Bertuzzi brings that and despite an injury-plagued season, several teams have taken a look at him.

He also continues to grow to NHL size.

Prediction: Sixth round.

Update #2:

RedWingsCentral on Bertuzzi:

2-58. LW Tyler Bertuzzi, 6-0, 176, Guelph (OHL), 43-13-9-22-68. The nephew of Red Wings winger Todd Bertuzzi is an agitating forward who was ranked 207th among North Americans by Central Scouting. But Bertuzzi has the tools to develop into a niche role player in the NHL. “He makes Andrew Shaw look like a Lady Byng winner,” said TSN analyst Bob McKenzie. “He’s a really aggravating guy to play against and has a really good feel for the game.”

From the Sudbury Star's Ben Leeson:

And after establishing himself as a willing combatant as a rookie last year, the youngster displayed the skill side of his game during the second half of this season, returning from a concussion to push his regular-season totals to 13 goals and nine assists in 43 games. That was enough to convince NHL Central Scouting to rank him 205th on their final list of the top 210 players eligible for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, released last week.

He had previously been listed in the limited viewing category in mid-term rankings released in January.

"It's exciting," Bertuzzi said. "Especially after missing almost half of the season, to be in there is an honour. Now I just have to train hard over the summer and look to move forward, no matter what."

Guelph's fourth-round pick in the 2011 OHL Priority Selection, Bertuzzi was a long shot to make the team at his first training camp that fall, but his high-energy game turned the head of Storm head coach Scott Walker.

"He was always a player I liked," Walker said. "He made the team out of camp last year and we almost sent him back, but he plays a style of game that I like. He works hard, he skates well and he has some skill and he deserves that ranking."

He showed that to his hometown fans during a rare visit to the Nickel City last month, scoring two goals in a 4-2 win over the Sudbury Wolves -- one of his four two-goal games this season.

"I have a skilled side," Bertuzzi said. "And I was able to show that I can make plays and score goals. Before, I showed I can play tough, that I can play hard and be physical, but then I showed that I can stickhandle, that I can carry to puck into the zone, not just dump it in, and that I can shoot and score."

Update #3:

Update #4: Khan on Bort (yes, Bort):

The Detroit Wings selected left wing Tyler Bertuzzi of Guelph (OHL) with their third pick, 58th overall in the second round, at Sunday's NHL entry draft at the Prudential Center.

Tyler is the nephew of Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi.

Tyler plays an abrasive game despite his modest size (6-foot, 178). He appeared in 43 games this season, picking up 13 goals and nine assists to go along with 68 penalty minutes.

In two seasons with the Storm, Bertuzzi has 19 goals, 20 assists and 185 penalty minutes in 104 games.

Update #5:

Update #6:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RWBill's avatar

Tyler Bertuzzi LOL LOL ha ha

Wonder if this is a payoff for going to buy out Todd Bertuzzi

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/30/13 at 07:22 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/30/13 at 07:23 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Ranked maybe number 300, the Red Wings pick him up at 58 LOL

Bugsy's avatar

Wings have a sense of humor.
ESPN said he wasn’t in their top 50, but his gut feeling is among those who could surprise in a few years.

Posted by Bugsy on 06/30/13 at 07:26 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Ranked maybe number 300, the Red Wings pick him up at 58 LOL

I think I will sit on the fence for awhile with this pick.  I can see a sleeper in some unknown rink in Europe, etc. but Guelph is near the center of the Hockey Universe, LOL

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/30/13 at 07:34 PM ET

I just watched about 10 fights with this kid on Youtube…dude lost ALL of them. Heh. He’s like another Tootoo.

Posted by godblender on 06/30/13 at 07:36 PM ET

Tyler Bertuzzi LOL LOL ha ha

Wonder if this is a payoff for going to buy out Todd Bertuzzi

Ranked maybe number 300, the Red Wings pick him up at 58 LOL

The best things about Wings fans is how much they know about the draft.  I mean, most people allow, like, years before they assess a draft class.  Wings fans?

Three minutes.

That’s skill, that is.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 06/30/13 at 07:38 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Three minutes.

That’s skill, that is.

It’s the offseason, and the Tigers just got caught for first place by Cleveland. Gives the fans another thing to rant about, keeps them off the streets,.... wink

Posted by Bugsy on 06/30/13 at 07:41 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 06/30/13 at 07:38 PM ET

Thank goodness we have you around to post long winded, condescending diatribes to keep us on the straight and narrow.

Posted by Hootinani on 06/30/13 at 07:54 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

HA!!!!! Fantastic!

But how are his shoot-out moves?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/30/13 at 08:23 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

The Detroit Red Wings have picked Todd Bertuzzi’s nephew, Tyler Bertuzzi, with the 58th overall pick. And Bob McKenzie stated, “He makes David Bolland look like a Lady Byng Trophy winner.”

WOW

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 06/30/13 at 10:09 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I wonder why he changed from Shaw to Bolland in his comp.  That’s amusing.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/30/13 at 11:53 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Three minutes.

That’s skill, that is.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 06/30/13 at 07:38 PM ET

Posted by Hootinani on 06/30/13 at 07:54 PM ET

Condescending? Sure. But that is no long winded diatribe.

I’m not going to judge Tyler Bertuzzi as a player, but I do think he was picked way too high. I highly doubt anyone would have taken him in the top three or four rounds and that second pick could have been used on a more skilled or bigger player. If you pick him at 58, that means that you like him more than anyone else picked after him or you think that any players you like better are less likely to get picked.

Posted by EDJ on 07/01/13 at 01:10 AM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

HEY EVERYBODY, GarthinHD IS BEING A WHINY BITCH AGAIN!!!  HOORAY FOR MISANTHROPES EVERYWHERE

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 07/01/13 at 01:14 AM ET

Yeah, longwinded?  You must have emphysema.  That was a positive drive-by.

Well, don’t go too far down that road.  I mean, I see the ‘pick x sucked because look at all of the players taken after pick x who were better than pick x’ thing trotted out all the time.  The problem there is that around 90% of all draft picks are sub-optimal when that standard is applied to it.

What Detroit was doing, as I think we saw playing out, was addressing specific organizational needs.  Yeah, Holland always says ‘best player’, but come on.  The people who believe what GMs say in public also likely spend a lot of time bailing out African Princes who just need 500 bucks to buy their visa, then they’ll pay you back 20 grand.  Just send a check.

Detroit’s prospect pool got a whole bunch bigger and meaner.  That’s… what pretty much everyone wanted, right?

And, also, he was the ‘free’ player Detroit picked up for the swap of 1’s with the Sharks.  I bet he was mostly an off-board selection for the team.  A guy they kept an eye on and wanted to take but who they thought it would be unlikely they’d get based on where their picks fell.  If Detroit took him at 58 I would tend to think it’s because they suspected he wouldn’t have been around at 79.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/01/13 at 04:25 AM ET

HOORAY FOR MISANTHROPES EVERYWHERE

See, I prefer ‘satirist’, but I totally dig you taking a celebratory attitude.  That’s the way to do it.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/01/13 at 04:27 AM ET

Three peat!

Looked at the draft board.  Check out the guy Philly picked 72 overall.

Tyrell Goulbourne
Left Wing
Born Jan 26 1994—Edmonton, ALTA
[19 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11—Weight 195—Shoots L

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2009-10 Kelowna Rockets WHL 5 0 1 1 0 -1—————
2010-11 Kelowna Rockets WHL 13 1 0 1 27 2 6 0 0 0 6
2011-12 Kelowna Rockets WHL 63 6 8 14 109 -8 4 0 0 0 2
2012-13 Kelowna Rockets WHL 64 14 13 27 135 7 11 1 2 3 15

That’s where Bertuzzi would have gone, I’d bet.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/01/13 at 04:33 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

I like these type players though Kenny and Babs seem not to ( see Tootoo rot on bench in playoffs).
No idea why they would waste such a high draft pick on pest/rat but hey Rychel and Hartman were already drafted at this point, my other favorites in the sandpaper category.
If they can’t trade for my boy Steve Ott then little Bert is welcome in my book.
Wish him well.