The Malik Report

Red Wings-Penguins pre-season live blog: the ‘B Team’ tangles with the Pens’ ‘A Team’

The Detroit Red Wings are a week away from their home opener against the Buffalo Sabres, and the Wings will ice a less-than-prime-time lineup against the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight (7:30 PM, Fox Sports Detroit Plus/NHL Network) mostly due to the fact that a combination of nagging injuries and a hype-filled pair of back-to-back games against the Toronto Maple Leafs give the team one more chance to evaluate its younger players before ramping up for this weekend's regular-season warm-ups.

The Penguins released their roster as of yesterday...

PENGUINS LINEUP

36            JUSSI JOKINEN – F
41            ROBERT BORTUZZO – D
44            BROOKS ORPIK – D
58            KRIS LETANG – D
71            EVGENI MALKIN – F
87            SIDNEY CROSBY – F

And the Wings recalled Riley Sheahan and Xavier Ouellet--as well as a suspension-serving Teemu Pulkkinen--because Daniel Alfredsson's groin is still bugging him and Jakub Kindl's hip flexor remains sore. The Wings' lineup won't include Zetterberg, Datsyuk or Kronwal...

Franzen-Weiss-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar
Miller-Emmerton-Samuelsson
Bertuzzi-Sheahan-Cleary

Ouellet-DeKeyser
Quincey-Smith
Almquist-Lashoff

And Petr Mrazek will start tonight.

The game summary, event summary and roster report are already up on the Wings' website, and if you want to follow along at home, I know the Tigers are playing tonight, bu it should be interesting to see how the Wings hold up against the Pens' NHL roster.

It also appears that Fox Sports Detroit's Wingspan's special episode from the Red Wings' prospect tournament will air tonight at 7 PM.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Thanks, George. I really like our Team. wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/25/13 at 06:57 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

excited to see what that second line does

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 09/25/13 at 07:12 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Oh look, a mysterious link popped up on my computer with streams of the game (beware pop-ups, etc.) http://firstrowus1.eu/watch/210133/1/watch-detroit-red-wings-vs-pittsburgh-penguins.html

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/25/13 at 07:22 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I’m down. The Wings got this.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 09/25/13 at 07:29 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Don’t care about the score, just want the kids to play well.

Posted by calquake on 09/25/13 at 07:32 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Cry Baby Blow Hards.. Fuch.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 09/25/13 at 07:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Please dear, sweet, 8lb 6oz Baby Jesus, all swaddled in your tiny little Red Wings blankie, give me a Ken and Mick broadcast on NHLN.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/25/13 at 07:35 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I can’t seem to find one. I’m trying.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 09/25/13 at 07:36 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

^^^^
This.  And hello Kate.

Posted by calquake on 09/25/13 at 07:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Yes, Ken and Mick.

Posted by calquake on 09/25/13 at 07:38 PM ET

Oh thank God it’s Ken and Mick on NHL Network

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 09/25/13 at 07:39 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

My prayer has been answered.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/25/13 at 07:40 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

petr.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/25/13 at 07:40 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Thanks George!

Yes, Ken & Mick!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 09/25/13 at 07:40 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

smitty?

smitty!

nice

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/25/13 at 07:41 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

ozzy ... articulate and insightful.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/25/13 at 07:45 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Like a monkey on a high wire.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/25/13 at 07:46 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

ozzy ... articulate and insightful.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/25/13 at 07:47 PM ET

calquake's avatar

My favorite Ozzie picture ever.

Posted by calquake on 09/25/13 at 07:48 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Somebody in the crowd has a whistle.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/25/13 at 07:50 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

My favorite Ozzie picture ever.

second fav?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/25/13 at 07:51 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

You know what? I’m 2.75 sheets at this point, and the Young Guns (yes, including Lashoff) are making my pants tight.

Also, ohai gaiz.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 09/25/13 at 07:52 PM ET

calquake's avatar

He looks like Ron Howard there.

Posted by calquake on 09/25/13 at 07:52 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

So, I don’t know why people rag on Lashoff so much, yet give Smith infinite passes; just because he isn’t a flashy goal-scorer doesn’t mean he’s not worth the roster spot. I mean, damn, they’ve both had roughly the same amount of NHL experience…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 09/25/13 at 07:58 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

He looks like Ron Howard there.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/25/13 at 08:00 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s that dreaded word “potential” Red.  It applies to Smith as far as his ceiling whereas Lashoff will continue to be a solid, no-frills D-man.

Posted by calquake on 09/25/13 at 08:01 PM ET

What the hell is Malkin’s problem.  It’s like Crosby rubs off on the entire team.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 09/25/13 at 08:02 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

ouch

petr, petr, petr

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/25/13 at 08:03 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

That’s what I was thinking.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/25/13 at 08:03 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Ugh!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/25/13 at 08:04 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Random notes:

- I like Ozzy as an “analyst.” They need to adjust his levels a little, but the insight is good so far.

- I like the hybrid icing.

- I like apple pie.

- I realize most people are just ignoring my inane ramblings. Whatever works.

Posted by calquake on 09/25/13 at 08:01 PM ET

... I don’t know what it actually is. I mean, I was a huge Hudler supporter. I LOVED Datsyuk before he got “awesome” (no proof, you’ll just have to take my word for it - or ask my ex-wife). I think Lashoff will be a nice, steady, solid, 2nd-pairing defenseman.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong… sigh. Whatever.

How was your off-season, Quake?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 09/25/13 at 08:05 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 09/25/13 at 08:02 PM ET

I’m sure he does.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 09/25/13 at 08:07 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

ouch

petr, petr, petr

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/25/13 at 08:09 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

FUCH!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/25/13 at 08:09 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Meh, this is basically the Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Grand Rapids Griffins (and friends).... other than bagging on Cleary, I’m not going to read too much into this game.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 09/25/13 at 08:11 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

just to let you guys know this is the Pens last Preseason Game so this is most likely the Opening game line up against your B team

Posted by Evilpens on 09/25/13 at 08:23 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Who are these people?  They certainly don’t frequent this establishment.

Posted by Hootinani on 09/25/13 at 08:27 PM ET

Fuching linesman…..good lord

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 09/25/13 at 08:32 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

...

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 09/25/13 at 08:35 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar