The Malik Report

Red Wings’ Pavel Datsyuk named a finalist for the Selke Trophy

In what has become an almost-annual tradition, the NHL just announced that Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk's been named a finalist for the Selke Trophy as the league's best defensive forward--and Datsyuk's made history by being named a finalist for six straight years, the most in Selke Trophy history!

ERGERON, DATSYUK AND TOEWS NAMED SELKE TROPHY FINALISTS

NEW YORK (May 15, 2013) -- Centers Patrice Bergeron of the BostonBruins, Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings and Jonathan Toews of the Chicago Blackhawks are the three finalists for the 2012-13 Frank J. Selke Trophy, which is awarded "to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game," the National Hockey League announced today.

Members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association submitted ballots for the Selke Trophy at the conclusion of the regular season, with the top three vote-getters designated as finalists. The winner will be announced during the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, with more detail on format to be released at a later date.

Following are the finalists for the Selke Trophy, in alphabetical order:

Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins

Bergeron was the NHL's top face-off man in 2012-13, winning 62.1% of his draws, as the Bruins ranked third League-wide in team defense (2.21 goals-against per game). He ranked sixth overall and led the Bruins in plus-minus with a +24 rating and played an average of 2:12 per game with his team shorthanded, slightly more than his per-game average on the Boston power-play (2:10). Bergeron is in quest of a repeat Selke win, having claimed the trophy last season in his first appearance as a finalist.

Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings

Datsyuk's all-around game helped the Red Wings place fifth in the NHL in team defense (2.29 goals-against per game) -- their stingiest performance since the 2007-08 Stanley Cup championship season. Datsyuk tied for the League lead in takeaways (56), topped the Red Wings in plus-minus (+21) and posted a 55.0% face-off winning percentage (488-399). The three-time Selke winner is a finalist for the sixth consecutive year, surpassing the streaks of Montreal's Guy Carbonneau (1986 through 1990) and Bob Gainey (1978 through 1982) as the longest since the award was introduced in 1978.

Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks

Toews played a leading role in helping the runaway Presidents' Trophy winners rank first overall in team defense (2.02 goals-against per game). He finished third in the NHL in plus-minus with a career-high +28 rating, including a League-leading +21 away from home; shared the overall lead in takeaways with fellow Selke finalist Pavel Datsyuk (56); placed second in the NHL in face-off winning percentage (59.9%, 559-374); and played anaverage of 1:25 per game on the NHL's third-ranked penalty-killing unit (87.2%). The Blackhawks captain is a Selke finalist for second time, having finished runner-up to Vancouver's Ryan Kesler in 2011. History

The trophy was presented in 1977 by the National Hockey League Board of Governors in honor of Frank J. Selke, one of the great architects of Montreal and Toronto championship teams.

Update: The NHL Network quickly posted a video version of its announcement:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

redxblack's avatar

He’s the best two way player of his generation, if not ever. I feel lucky to have seen him play so often.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/15/13 at 10:37 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

I NOW consider that NHL award nomination rational

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/15/13 at 11:03 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Regardless of his numbers, which are phenominal, nobody does what Datsyuk does.  I watch a ton of hockey, and nobody has the shift-to-shift consistency that Pav has when it comes to defensive prowess.  Bergeron, Toews, and even Kesler can only dream of the things that Pav does on a nightly basis.

And to top it off, he did it this year on a defensively challenged team, unlike the other 2 candidates.

So in short, suck it Frenchy and Doll Eyes.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/15/13 at 11:07 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

So in short, suck it Frenchy and Doll Eyes.

Yes, but dolly missed out on the hart, so you know they will give him the selke.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/15/13 at 11:22 AM ET

klank's avatar

enjoy every game we can.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/15/13 at 11:30 AM ET

I just wish we could have seen him play as he grew up as a kid not just grew up as a Red Wing.

I really don’t think there’s ever been anyone near his talent, ever.

Posted by bobbo on 05/15/13 at 11:53 AM ET

klank's avatar

2011 SI article

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/15/13 at 12:20 PM ET

“When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, ‘Have I recovered so I can play the violin?’ The doctor says, ‘But of course you can play the violin.’ I say, ‘Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.’”

Posted by selke13 on 05/15/13 at 12:39 PM ET

I NOW consider that NHL award nomination rational

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 05/15/13 at 11:03 AM ET

+13.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/15/13 at 01:57 PM ET

2011 SI article

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/15/13 at 12:20 PM ET

He reminds me so much of impresarios Stevie Ray Vaughan and Louis Armstrong.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/15/13 at 02:04 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I wonder if they’ll have the same players’ polls as in 2012, when Datsyuk did well. As a reminder:
#2 behind you know who: