The Malik Report

Red Wings: Nicklas Lidstrom retirement ceremony will begin at 6:30 PM next Thursday

As an FYI--albeit a belated one--from the Wings:

NICK LIDSTROM JERSEY RETIREMENT NIGHT DETAILS ANNOUNCED FOR MARCH 6 GAME

… Puck Drop vs. Colorado Avalanche Moved to 8:00 p.m., Pre-game Ceremony Set for 6:30 p.m. …

DETROIT– The Detroit Red Wings announced today a game time change for Nick Lidstrom Jersey Retirement Night, presented by Flagstar Bank, on Thursday, March 6. The club’s 133rd consecutive sellout, originally posted as a 7:30 p.m. start, has been pushed back to 8:00 p.m. to accommodate the pre-game ceremony retiring No. 5 in honor of defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom.

Doors to Joe Louis Arena will open at 5:30 p.m. and fans are encouraged to arrive early for the game, as the pre-game ceremony will begin promptly at 6:30 p.m. The ceremony will conclude by 7:20 p.m., and the game against the visiting Colorado Avalanche will begin at 8:00 p.m.

The pre-game ceremony will be carried live by Fox Sports Detroit beginning at 6:30 p.m., and will be available for viewing in its entirety on DetroitRedWings.com shortly after the start of the game.

The ceremony will be hosted by Fox Sports Detroit Broadcaster Ken Daniels and will feature speeches by Mike Babcock, Ken Holland, Christopher Ilitch and Nick Lidstrom. Attending the ceremony will be Red Wings legends Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay, Alex Delvecchio, Steve Yzerman and members of the Abel and Sawchuck families. Lidstrom’s former coaches Scotty Bowman, Dave Lewis and Barry Smith, as well as Lidstrom’s former teammates; Chris Chelios, Igor Larionov, Brendan Shanahan, Robert Lang, Bob Rouse, Yves Racine, Mathieu Schneider, Manny Legace, Tomas Holmstrom, Anders Eriksson, Kris Draper and Vladimir Konstantinov will all be seated on the ice for the ceremony.

Although the game is sold out, fans without a ticket can still join in on the celebration by attending the exclusive viewing party, presented by Miller Lite, at Detroit’s 400-person City Theatre. The ticketed event at City Theatre, located within Hockeytown Café, will show the retirement ceremony in its entirety and will feature an in-person intermission appearance by Nick Lidstrom. Fans can enjoy enter-to-wins, interactive games, trivia contests and drink specials throughout the night. For more information on the viewing party and to buy tickets, visit DetroitRedWings.com.

All fans in attendance at Joe Louis Arena and the official viewing party will receive a replica mini-banner courtesy of Flagstar Bank. The limited edition book, Five: A Salute to Nick Lidstrom by Bill Roose, will also be on sale at the game and can be purchased at the viewing party, Hockeytown Authentics in Troy and DetroitRedWings.com.

Per Joe Louis Arena policy, professional grade cameras and recording devices are not allowed inside the arena. Guests entering Joe Louis Arena with these items may be asked to return them to their vehicle or check them at the information booth.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Something going on at the same time at the Fox Theatre that they can’t have there as well?

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/28/14 at 03:50 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I really hope NHL Network is able to air the ceremony live.  I’m biased, but he is one of the top 2 defenseman, if not the best, to ever play the game - that should be good enough a justification to air it!

Posted by TreKronor on 02/28/14 at 03:50 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I am sure that FSD will re-air it but I don’t know about NHL Net.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/28/14 at 03:58 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Ugh don’t get FSD out here in Chicago!!!

I miss Ken and Micky so much.  When I go to bars all I ever hear is Eddie O.  All. the. time.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/28/14 at 04:03 PM ET

Ugh don’t get FSD out here in Chicago!!!

Posted by TreKronor on 02/28/14 at 03:03 PM ET

All my Blackhawk loving friends can’t get enough of Olczyk and Foley.  It makes me question at times why I consider some of them friends.  tongue rolleye

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/28/14 at 04:21 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

All my Blackhawk loving friends can’t get enough of Olczyk and Foley.

REALLY?!  I know many a Hawks fan who can’t stand either of them.  Honestly, I dislike Foley “tree tirty tree left in da tird” more than Olczyk.

I hate to tell ya, but you need new friends wink

Posted by TreKronor on 02/28/14 at 04:26 PM ET

I hate to tell ya, but you need new friends

I’d probably have to agree on Foley.  I really dislike the way he tries to make every play, even a simple dump in for a line change sound like a tie-breaking goal in the last minute of game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Also, my friends probably only say they like Olcyzk and Foley so much because they know how much that irritates me.  So yes, I need new friends.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/28/14 at 04:34 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Attending the ceremony will be Red Wings legends Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay, Alex Delvecchio, Steve Yzerman and 19 members of the Abel Abel to Yzerman family.

Any of the 19 going to be there?

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 02/28/14 at 05:18 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Tons of ‘em. I believe the people who didn’t attend H2H3 at the Winter Classic, and some who did, got in on tix. Me not so lucky :(

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/28/14 at 05:31 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I will be there, and looking forward to it.

Posted by bigfrog on 02/28/14 at 09:47 PM ET

I will be there, and looking forward to it.

Posted by bigfrog on 02/28/14 at 08:47 PM ET