The Malik Report

Red Wings make playoffs for 22nd season, will face Anaheim after defeating Dallas

I'll write a quick take in a little bit, but after a nail-biting season and a nail-bed-biting last week, the Red Wings--perhaps despite themselves--earned what Ken Daniels duly noted was the team's first 4-game winning streak of the season, defeating the Dallas Stars 3-0 and setting themselves up for their 22nd consecutive playoff run.

The Wings will now fly home for the evening, pack up on Sunday and head to Anaheim to play the Ducks. The Free Press's Helene St. James reported something I've heard, and something that FSD's Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond reported:

(and yes, that would probably mean that Game 3 would be an incredibly stupid NBC matinee)

How far can the Wings go in the playoffs?

I don't know.

I wish I was arrogant enough to suggest that I knew better, but I didn't know if this team would make the playoffs--I sure as hell didn't think that'd happen after the team dropped those back-to-backs against Columbus--and at least they're not playing Chicago.

This Wings team is just starting to find its identity as the regular season concludes and the playoffs begin, and the Ducks are bigger, deeper and have been incredibly good, but who the hell knows?

Let's just be grateful for some playoff hockey for the Lidstrom-less Wings and enjoy this.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Zqto's avatar

Time to make the quacks squeal, now!

Posted by Zqto on 04/27/13 at 09:32 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Roanoke, VA on 04/27/13 at 09:34 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Mike Babcock wins the Jack Adams Trophy!

grin

Posted by w2j2 on 04/27/13 at 09:34 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I am very grateful. I was dead serious at the beginning of the week when I said I have no idea the Wings could go 4-0 or 0-4 as inconsistent as they’ve been, I don’t think anyone knew better, George, I was worried in January my nails would be gone this week (and unfortunately are). At this point, anything winning playoff rounds will be gravy. It’s just nice to see a good week out of the Wings for once, and we can only hope for more.

I hope you’re feeling better, George.

Posted by Bugsy on 04/27/13 at 09:36 PM ET

Cwix's avatar

And so the Hasek isOPEN

Posted by Cwix from Grand Rapids, now Roanoke, VA on 04/27/13 at 09:36 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Sorry for the errors in the last post, I’m just giddy (and relieved) now.

Posted by Bugsy on 04/27/13 at 09:37 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

This Wings team is just starting to find its identity as…

Btw, this made me remember a thought I had on more than a few ocasions these last few games…  Is it just me, or does it look like the wings are back playing possession hockey??
It’s been a really LONG FREAKING TIME since I saw the Wings playing like this.

Posted by Zqto on 04/27/13 at 09:39 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

I love this streak, but I’d feel better if we had some secondary scoring.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 04/27/13 at 09:47 PM ET

“I like our team”.

Pretty much everyone who said that ironically gets to suck it good and hard for a while.

Love it.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/27/13 at 09:51 PM ET

Because the Wings made it into the playoffs on the last day of the regular season?

Howzabout you suck it?

Posted by Garth on 04/27/13 at 09:56 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Fellow Redwingerians
The time of bitchering is over
Let’s focus on the quaks, pls

To the HASEK!

Posted by Zqto on 04/27/13 at 10:06 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Because for the first time in 21 years, the wings finished lower than 5th and barely scraped into the postseason while other teams improved dramatically?

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/27/13 at 10:27 PM ET

Jim Howard (4-1-1, GAA 1.17, Sv% 94.5%, 2 SO) since 4/16 needs his flonase filled.

Posted by Django on 04/27/13 at 10:39 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 04/27/13 at 09:39 PM ET

Yes, but no.  They seem to have modified the old way somewhat, perhaps out of necessity of personnel or just the way it is now.  They will play possession, and then in periods chip the puck in and chase still, if even just for a shift.

Overall they’ve been more patient though, which means hanging in to the puck a bit more…

It’s also tough judging considering they just played some teams that aren’t making the playoffs and didn’t have a ton of motivation.  NAS for example iced like 6 or 7 AHLers.  DAL just wasn’t playing like a team that could have made the playoffs and was just in the hunt still a few days ago.  Both NAS and DAL iced backup goalies too.

That’s my biggest fear: the last 2 games were fool’s gold.  I don’t think they were really though, because you could just see the difference in DET’s skating and movement.

Posted by Primis on 04/28/13 at 12:19 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

“I like our team”.

Love it.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/27/13 at 09:51 PM ET

I like our team.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 04/28/13 at 12:29 AM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

I love this streak, but I’d feel better if we had some secondary scoring.

Posted by Swank on 04/27/13 at 09:47 PM ET

Like the Eaves/Tootoo/Emmerton line that scored a couple of huge goals at huge moments in the last few games?

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 04/28/13 at 12:34 AM ET

Pretty much.

If Detroit had gone 6-2 in the SO… wink  That’s not a team composition problem, it’s a player performance, short season, and stupid system problem.

I mean, seriously, who are these teams that ‘dramatically improved’?  And do you understand that for every one of those there are 2 who went the other way?

Buckle up, pumpkin, this is how the new NHL is going to be every single year.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/28/13 at 08:44 AM ET

DrD's avatar

You know that your fan base is spoiled when you can make the playoffs in a rebuilding year and the glass still appears half-empty to some people…anyway, I think it’s great that the kids in the lineup are getting a taste of playoff hockey…and being the underdog is a better place to be, especially for this particular Wings team. Go Wings!

Posted by DrD on 04/28/13 at 08:52 AM ET