The Malik Report

Red Wings-Lightning game-day quickie: Gustavsson starts, Abdelkader to return vs. Bolts

The Red Wings and Tampa Bay Lightning aren't holdig game-day skates ahead of today's kind-of-sort-of matinee game (5 PM EDT on FSD, Sun Sports ,97.1 FM), but we know that Jonas Gustavsson will start today, per DetroitRedWings.com's Bill Roose...

And it's going to be interesting to see which player might sit to accommodate the return of a player the Free Press's Helene St. James reports will rejoin the lineup this afternoon:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

DocF's avatar

The guys to sit, in order of current incompetence:  1:  Bertuzzi - he kills whatever line he is on; 2:  Andersson - he just does not seem to be ready to play with serious intent yet; 3:  Alfredsson - he needs to rest for a game or so as he is really beat up.  There is a huge difference between #1 and #2 on my list.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 03/30/14 at 10:29 AM ET

I think Alfie may need a break here and there, although he was engaged much of last night.

Bert definitely needs to sit out for a couple of games…maybe that will ignite a fire that seems to be missing….but his lack of foot speed is glaring with all of these young speedy guys now on the team.

Posted by NewfieWing on 03/30/14 at 10:34 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Actually, I was thinking Miller looked a little mentally tired last night, too.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/30/14 at 11:39 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Bert looks really, really tired.  He’s never been super fast, but man does he look slow out there.  However; he plays in front of the net much better than anyone else currently on the team, so I think I’d have to give my vote of sitting to Andersson.

On another note, I always wondered how Tootoo would do on a line with a couple of goal scorers, clogging up the front of the net.  Ala Homer.  I have to believe he would be damn near impossible to move out there.  Probably wouldn’t put up with the abuse though.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/14 at 01:14 PM ET

Bert’s scratched, Abby’s in.

Posted by AZWinger on 03/30/14 at 03:50 PM ET

He’d probably be terrible, because he’s not a good hockey player.

Posted by Garth on 03/30/14 at 04:50 PM ET