The Malik Report

Red Wings land David Legwand for Eaves, 3rd round pick, prospect

Update: Compensation:

The Wings ended up adding a center after all, and he's a local--33-year-old David Legwand, who carries a $4.5 million cap hit, in the last year of his contract:

Quoth TSN sans compensation:

The Nashville Predators have traded forward David Legwand to the Detroit Red Wings.

Legwand, 33, has appeared in 62 games with the Predators this season, scoring 10 goals and 30 assists.

In the final year of a six-year, $27 million deal ($4.5 million AAV), he is eligible to become an unrestricted free-agent on July 1.

Legwand was selected second overall at the 1998 NHL Entry Draft by the Predators and has spent his entire 16-year NHL career in Nashville.

In 956 career games with the Predators, Legwand has scored 210 goals and added 356 assists.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

TreKronor's avatar

FOR WHAT?!?!?!

Posted by TreKronor on 03/05/14 at 04:19 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Meaning, what did we give up?!  The anticipation…it kills.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/05/14 at 04:19 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

What is he, like 46?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/05/14 at 04:20 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Red Wings land David Legwand

unless they traded tootoo, sammy, cleary and emmerton for this guy, this will likely end up hurting.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 03/05/14 at 04:20 PM ET

Hopefully a couple of mid round picks.

I can wish at least.

Posted by lancer on 03/05/14 at 04:23 PM ET

FranzensMouthguard's avatar

2ND ROUND PICK AND A PROSPECT FOR VANEK

we better not have given anything over that

Posted by FranzensMouthguard from Chicago, IL on 03/05/14 at 04:25 PM ET

Legwand will immediately make the wings better. Defensively better, offensively better, tougher checking even. Please say we gave up quincy for him.

Posted by 1996mybestyear on 03/05/14 at 04:27 PM ET

He’s better all-around than a healthy Weiss.

Posted by jkm2011 on 03/05/14 at 04:28 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’m concerned that picking up Legwand may mean Pavel is out for perhaps the rest of the season.

Posted by calquake on 03/05/14 at 04:28 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

The suspense is killer.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 03/05/14 at 04:29 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I thought he was a hundred years old. But only 33, and he’s got 40 pts in 60 games this year.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/05/14 at 04:30 PM ET

Primis's avatar

This has Bad Deal written all over it unless Kenny got him for something like Tootoo and a mid-rounder.

Posted by Primis on 03/05/14 at 04:30 PM ET

Good to see even holland agrees Andersson as a 1st line center is not a pretty picture… Lets hope he didn’t give away that first..

Posted by Robert on 03/05/14 at 04:31 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Cal, I don’t think it was meant for more of Pavel, but Z. I think Pavel will be fine. Give him a week or or two. Z is not anytime soon. But. Just my .02

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 03/05/14 at 04:31 PM ET

I have always liked him. Wonder where they will put him. Second line center? Will he center say dats and mule?

Posted by 1996mybestyear on 03/05/14 at 04:31 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by Primis on 03/05/14 at 03:30 PM ET

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m thinking too.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 03/05/14 at 04:32 PM ET

My guess: a 2nd rounder and a guy in GR who is waiver-exempt next year…

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/05/14 at 04:33 PM ET

Helm replacement/insurance.

Posted by Munnster9 on 03/05/14 at 04:33 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Anyone think we gave up Ferraro?

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 03/05/14 at 04:34 PM ET

perfection's avatar

the guy has 40 pts this year, has played most games most of the past several years (meaning he stays HEALTHY! not to be underrated), is just past his prime but not too old, is a natural center, and plays with Babcockian grit.

I’m curious to see what we gave up, but seeing that it seems like we weren’t prepared to give up much of anything of substance, I’m not sure how this could be seen as a bad deal. After Helm going back down, we need a center way more than anything else… unfortunately

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/05/14 at 04:34 PM ET

Really wish we could have gotten a puck moving dman. We needed a veteran centerman and I like it as long as we gave up no youth. He isnt zetty but he is better than wiess and anderson.

Posted by 1996mybestyear on 03/05/14 at 04:34 PM ET

calquake's avatar

My guess: a 2nd rounder and a guy in GR who is waiver-exempt next year…

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/05/14 at 03:33 PM ET

Perhaps Landon Ferraro?  He did not appear to be fitting into Detroit’s long range plans anyway.

Posted by calquake on 03/05/14 at 04:35 PM ET

My guess: a 2nd rounder and a guy in GR who is waiver-exempt next year

Agreed, they are at the 50-man roster limit, I believe, so someone had to go.  That forward and a 3rd is more likely.

Posted by jkm2011 on 03/05/14 at 04:35 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Word is Eaves and Jarnkrok that I just read. Though it’s not final. And I hope it’s pure BS.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 03/05/14 at 04:36 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Eaves

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 03/05/14 at 04:36 PM ET

scsgoal31's avatar

Eaves, Jarnkrok, and a third rounder.  Yikes.

Posted by scsgoal31 from Huntington Woods, MI on 03/05/14 at 04:36 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Per Lebrun:

Preds get Patrick Eaves, a prospect and a 3rd-round pick for Legwand

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/05/14 at 04:36 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

According to @GMillerTSN, Preds get Patrick Eaves, a prospect and a 3rd-round pick for Legwand

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/05/14 at 04:37 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Preds get Patrick Eaves, a prospect and a 3rd-round pick for Legwand” - Pierre Lebrun

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 03/05/14 at 04:37 PM ET

Jarnkrok? Fuuuuuuck.

Posted by lancer on 03/05/14 at 04:37 PM ET

heard trade is for eaves and a third rounder and a prospect?

Posted by 1996mybestyear on 03/05/14 at 04:37 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I guess someone likes Jarnkrok.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/05/14 at 04:37 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Wings must not have been sold on JarnKrok. Or Sheahan is better then what they thought.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 03/05/14 at 04:38 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Gotta see what they gave up… I know injuries are killing them right now, but the thing that concerns me is that even if they gave up something relatively small, they gave it up for a guy that doesn’t seem to fit into the long-term plans for this team. Despite injuries, your centers for the foreseeable future include Datsyuk, Weiss, and Helm, no doubt. Sheahan has proven he is likely to be a scoring line center ready to contribute meaningful offense very very soon. Andersson hasn’t had a great year, but still looks to be a solid bottom-six contributor. Then you have Jarnkrok, who has been the forward prospect (before Mantha) that has been the most buzzworthy since Pav and Z came in.

Something has to give. Legwand as a rental doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. This isn’t a Cup team. I wouldn’t pay much more than a late-round pick for a Legwand rental for this team. So is the plan to re-sign Legwand, and try to turn some of the remaining center depth into the D-man they really truly need? We can dream, but I’m not holding my breath. This just feels like an odd move to try and grasp at the mostly meaningless playoff streak.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/05/14 at 04:38 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I just read Eaves and a 3rd… I hope Jarnkrok’s not in there

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/05/14 at 04:39 PM ET

No way its Jarnkrok. Someone please confirm its not.

Posted by 1996mybestyear on 03/05/14 at 04:39 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 03/05/14 at 04:39 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Eaves, Jarnkrok, and a third rounder.  Yikes.

Posted by scsgoal31 from Huntington Woods, MI on 03/05/14 at 03:36 PM ET

If it’s Jarnkrok I’m shocked.  He was considered one of our best prospects.  If it’s Eaves, a 3rd rounder and Jarnkrok… the Wings lost on that deal.

Posted by calquake on 03/05/14 at 04:39 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Ray Ferraro laughed and said he’s sleeping, leading me to think its his son.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/05/14 at 04:39 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

So the Wings gave up more for Legwand than MTL did for Vanek.

Nice.