The Malik Report

Red Wings’ Kyle Quincey makes a boneheaded hit, booted for boarding Getzlaf

Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey received a major penalty for this hit on Ryan Getzlaf, and every Red Wings fan agreed that this was stupid and unnecessary:

NHL.com describes the hit as follows:

Anaheim Ducks center Ryan Getzlaf left the ice with a facial injury at 14:20 of the first period of a game against the Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena on Tuesday night.

Getzlaf was hit from behind by Detroit defenseman Kyle Quincey as the two prepared for a puck battle in the corner. Getzlaf appeared to catch his skates in the ice and hit the boards face-first.

Bleeding from his mouth, Getzlaf left the ice and headed to the dressing room. Quincey was assessed a boarding major and game misconduct.

Getzlaf entered Tuesday with a point in the past 14 games he's played in. He leads the Ducks with 39 points (16 goals, 23 assists).

Update:

Update:

It's still on Quincey to not make the hit when he "sees the numbers."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

The onus is on Getzlaf for toe picking.  At least a little bit?

The check Quincey gives is one which happens throughout each game, sometimes that close to the boards. What’s Quincey to do?  Lay off the guy playing the pick anytime he’s 3 feet off the boards

Legal or suspendable is up to everyone’s perspective, but to me this is a play which shows the value of the Bear Hug rule.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/17/13 at 10:13 PM ET

I’d rather have Quincey suspended. 6 losses in a row, I fully expect it to reach 8 to 10 games. UNLESS Quincey gets suspended… Then we might have a chance.

Quincey didn’t hit him particularly hard so it’ll probably be a game or three, it was an ill advised hot but… The longer the better I say

Posted by Robert on 12/17/13 at 11:02 PM ET

Kudos to Anaheim for not kicking Quincey’s ass for that move.

Posted by timbits on 12/18/13 at 02:36 AM ET

Lay off the guy playing the pick anytime he’s 3 feet off the boards

Or lay off any guy doing anything when you can see his numbers.

Posted by Garth on 12/18/13 at 09:54 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

The NHL could adopt the mite approach and sew STOP signs on the back of jerseys…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/18/13 at 10:40 AM ET

John's avatar

Quincey should be suspended.  He and Getzlaf are both lucky he didn’t get seriously hurt.

It’s not a matter of laying off or hitting, you can approach a player and tie up his stick or skate him into the boards and pin him in that situation. You don’t need to throw a check on him.

Getzlaf may have put himself in a bad spot, but Quincey has to make a better decision there.  And it’s not like Quincey doesn’t have a history of poor decision making.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 12/18/13 at 10:57 AM ET

Paging Mr Oullette, I hope.

Posted by Garth on 12/18/13 at 11:40 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Yep, but the new rules don’t allow you to wrap a guy up and ride him into the boards either. There’s a lot of these hits in a year that are far more dangerous than the outcome has been to date. I don’t want the clutch-grab-hold game back… but until the players show enough respect to not make these hits, Shanny will just keep dropping the hammer on them.
Hits to the head have been pushed to the top of the no-no list, but these types of hits are equally dangerous if not more.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 12/18/13 at 12:02 PM ET

Just when you think you’ve seen every one of his stupid moves…....

Posted by leftwing on 12/18/13 at 02:26 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I don’t understand how Getzlaf fell there. Toe-pick I guess. I almost thought he dove…but after watching it on replay there’s no way he had time to.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/18/13 at 02:52 PM ET

To me, it looked like he was just starting to lean forward a bit just as Quincy pushed him.  His skate might have caught a rut too.  The combination of all that happening means a faceplant into the boards.

I was very surprised to see no fighting when it happened, though.  Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

Posted by Canucklehead from Ottawa, Ontario on 12/18/13 at 03:38 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Carlyle is the Leaf’s coach now.  They aren’t the Fighty Ducks anymore.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/18/13 at 08:29 PM ET

Carlyle is the Leaf’s coach now.  They aren’t the Fighty Ducks anymore.

Still, considering you regularly see the gloves dropped for a big, clean hit, not seeing a single glove dropped or even a shove or something for that boarding call is a surprise.

Posted by Canucklehead from Ottawa, Ontario on 12/18/13 at 09:16 PM ET