The Malik Report

Dreger: Red Wings ink Jakub Kindl to 4-year extension

Updated 3x at 8:53 PM: Per TSN's Darren Dreger, the Red Wings have signed Jakub Kindl to a 4-year contract extension:

That translates to $2.4 million per season.

And this one, we already knew about (as of June 14th):

Update: FYI:

Update #2: More gnus:

And, via RedWingsFeed, here's TSN's report:

The Detroit Red Wings have locked up a pair of their own players heading into this weekend's NHL Entry Draft.

The team signed restricted free agent defenceman Jakub Kindl to a four-year $9.6 million deal, and left-winger Drew Miller to a three-year, $4.05 million contract extension.

The 26-year-old Kindl played in 41 games with the Red Wings last season, posting four goals and nine assists.  He also had a plus-minus ranking of +15.

Miller, 29, dressed for 44 games and scored four goals and four assists.

Update #3: MLive's Ansar Khan is confirming:

The Detroit Red Wings have signed defenseman Jakub Kindl to a four-year contract worth $9.6 million.

Kindl, 26, was a restricted free agent. He played in 41 games this season, picking up four goals and nine assists. He had a plus-15 rating.

More details shortly.

Update #4: The Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness confirms, too:

Each and every season defenseman Jakub Kindl somehow works his way out of the lineup.

Those days seem to be over.

The Wings have inked the soon-to-be restricted free agent to a four-year extension worth $9.6 million.

Kindl, 26, had four goals and nine assists in 41 games last season and was a plus-15.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Nice.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 06/28/13 at 07:59 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Kindl really ramped his game this year.
He had lots of shots on goal, and his defensive game improved.
He kept his head up and moved the puck.
He is not a big stay-at-home hitter, but Lashoff can play that role.
Good signing.

Posted by w2j2 on 06/28/13 at 08:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

A little eye-opening at first but when I think about it…that’s not too bad at all…especially considering how he did improve over the course of year, similar to Ericsson last year.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/28/13 at 08:15 PM ET

Cool. If Jakub keeps improving this could look like a bit of a bargain in a few years.

Off topic but was wondering: Does anyone know if we’re getting that conditional from the Flyers for Huskins?

Posted by Diggler from Marquette, MI on 06/28/13 at 08:21 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Flyers didn’t re-sign him, so no.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/28/13 at 08:26 PM ET

I like it.  Kindl doesn’t even need to make huge strides the next few years to make this contract worth while.  A slow steady improvement each year, and assuming the cap goes up after next year like everyone expects and I think this contract will look like a bargain real quick.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 06/28/13 at 08:42 PM ET

I love it, no need to doubt the players, only need to encourage with love. Good job Kindl, you deserve it, and good job Holland, here is to more success!

Posted by Extreme Monky on 06/28/13 at 08:48 PM ET

This is a steal for a guy with his skill set who’s still got some room to grow. Now he just needs to cut way down on his obstruction penalties in his own end.

Posted by godblender on 06/28/13 at 08:49 PM ET

Remember when Ericsson signed that 3.25 mil deal under a larger cap and everybody howled about what an overpay it was?

Good times.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 06/28/13 at 09:31 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Good times.

I DEFINITELY remember that.

Posted by Bugsy on 06/28/13 at 09:38 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Like the length. Okay with the cap hit.

Attention Smith: here is your framework for your next deal. You should make a little less given your Coffey/Schneider like habit of turning the puck over.

Posted by d ca on 06/28/13 at 09:42 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by d ca on 06/28/13 at 09:42 PM ET

And Smith could also see 4 years for $12M if he does some Kindl-esque development and turns his bad habits into smart passes and good offensive pinches.

Posted by SK77 on 06/28/13 at 09:48 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I’ve liked Kindls improving play for some time now. Happy to have him here for 4 more years. Time to cut ties with Brunner and Fil and sign Ryder and lecavlier.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 06/28/13 at 09:51 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t hate the AAV.  I was afraid both Kindl and Smith would get over $3m.  Below 3 is a good number I guess.

Now to do something about the 5 or 6 d-men on roster which are only 2nd or 3rd pairing at best.

Posted by Primis on 06/28/13 at 10:01 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I like this signing too. Something finally just clicked with Kindl. It was like he was spinning in mud and Babs was just leaning into the back of him pushing and pushing and one day - POP - out he came and all of a sudden he looked like the potential top-4 talent we drafted him in the first round to be. Who knows what his upside might be? This is a good contract even at how he played last season, if he improves at all, this will in fact be a bargain in a few years.

I’m not so confident that we will land Brunner, but I also don’t know if he’s a huge loss… assuming we do add another piece. With our young forwards coming up, if we have to sacrifice Brunner in order to bring in Levavlier, it’s definitely worth it to me. Tatar can slot right in for Brunner with Andy and Gus anyway so it wouldn’t be a huge loss… especially when it seems like Brunner’s chasing the dough. And no criticism of Brunner here, he was everything he was advertised to be and more. I like him a ton this season overall and he definitely took the long road to get where he is at. He deserves a good contract as it could potentially be his last one in the NHL. But if it’s between signing Brunner for $3 mil or Lecavlier for $5, there’s no question Brunner seems expendable.

It also seems like Kenny doesn’t really like to pay market value. To play for the Wings (those making over a mil at least), you pretty much need to take a half a mil to a mil less than you’re worth on the open market - and that includes Datsyuk, Jimmy and this Kindl contract… though Jimmy and Ericsson seem the closest to market value, but I still think another team would have paid both of them more than we are. If Brunner wants us to top his best offer, it’s just not going to happen. He will get a lovely four year, $3.5 mil contract from Calgary or Buffalo or Florida and we probably won’t ever hear him mentioned again. Oh well. He and his family will eat nicely that’s for sure.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/28/13 at 10:12 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I would be happy for Brunner, seems like a good dude and is looking to get paid, I would too.  On another note, what about going after mr. Vanek in buffalo? Last year in a contract and already looking to get out of buffalo. Cmonkenny!

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 06/28/13 at 10:29 PM ET

I just want to bring in a player that I can’t wait to see play next year. I want to feel excited.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/28/13 at 10:49 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I want to feel excited.

If you can’t get excited for Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyquist, Henrik Zetterberg, Jimmie Howard and Pavel freaking Datsyuk then there’s no answer for you.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/28/13 at 10:52 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/28/13 at 10:49 PM ET

Last time I had that feeling the Wings ended up with Mike Freakin’ Modano.

Posted by SK77 on 06/28/13 at 10:54 PM ET

wedge56's avatar

So what is the cutoff number for Brunner?  I don’t think he is nearly as bad defensively as some seem to think.  I’d go up to $4 mil per year for 3-4 years based on what I have seen.

I will just sit here and be prepared to get flamed as some folks seem to think that $4 mil per years should be an instant 30 goal scorer with size, speed, and defensive acumen.

Y’know…like Hudler.

Posted by wedge56 on 06/28/13 at 11:29 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

This guy will be bought out,traded or released before 4 years is over. He can skate very well and shoot but as far as playing his natural position which is defenseman he is as soft as a marshmallow and dumb as a box of rocks. Pure giveaway machine, overpowered easlily.

Pray for improvement I guess.

Four year far to long.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 06/29/13 at 01:18 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Y’know…like Hudler.

Posted by wedge56 on 06/28/13 at 11:29 PM ET

You know guys around here are usually unrealistic, they freak out on a guy that can rack up 66 points just because he had one sub-par shortened season.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 06/29/13 at 05:26 AM ET

Burner - Leino.  I’m glad we didn’t sign him after one good year.  Thank you Buffalo.

Posted by guy on 06/29/13 at 07:28 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Good value for Kindl .  Even with a shrinking Cap, many players will expect that their salary go up.  And it will for many.

Without hauling out the names and listing all my projected salaries for each Wing player, because there is no way in Hell I would 1) ever do that and, 2) then subject you to it,  I really would like to make a serious effort at Vinny Lecavalier for up to $6M, a former team captain in his prime who was being paid over $7M, very good two way player and probably excellent compliment with many of our forwards, and then I think we could still fit under the Cap by filling in the youngsters and Griffins that it looks like they were going to consider doing anyway.

We may lose significant offense from a team that was offensively challenged, with Filppula and Brunner going.  Such as they were, they were two of the more offensively capable.  Andersson is not that type of player.

Between now and Free Agency someone else may pop up, but we haven’t really got a star quality UFA in what, 5 years?

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/29/13 at 10:34 AM ET

I like it. I like it A LOT.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/29/13 at 01:09 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Me likey the Kindl signing. Didn’t cost much and he will get better as time goes on.

I loved the E-52 signing.(So did Gramps)

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!