The Malik Report

Red Wings-Hawks quick take: sloppy execution dooms Wings

Updated at 10:56 PM with stats and highlights: The Detroit Red Wings are most certainly a team in search of an identity that they have yet to find. The Wings looked downright scared throughout the first and second periods of their 2-1 overtime loss to the Chicago Blackhawks--giving the Hawks a 6-and-0 start--but the Wings played with so much guts, gusto and grit in the third period, tying the game and sending it to OT thanks to some spectacular puck possession (the Wings ended up looking like they could indeed keep up with the Hawks, just as they skated circles around the Wild once they played the system they've been taught to play, regardless of the personnel they have) and wonderful goaltending from Jimmy Howard...

But in OT, and perhaps in no small part due to the fact that the Wings appeared afraid to shoot on a power play that went 0-for-6 in a remarkable 11:17 of PP time, a team that out-hit, out-shot and eventually out-worked and out-competed the Blackhawks ended up losing because Justin Abdelkader chugged off the ice after Henrik Zetterberg won a faceoff in his own zone, as Zetterberg chugged up ice, the Blackhawks went the other way, Viktor Stalberg drew both Niklas Kronwall and Jonathan Ericsson to the left side of the ice in the Wings' end (why Babcock chose to take Lashoff off the Kronwall pairing late in the game is beyond me), and Damien Brunner, who'd gotten onto the ice late, ended up kinda sorta intercepting Stalberg's pass to pinching defenseman Nick Leddy...By tipping it past Jimmy Howard.

The Wings may have deserved much better, but they also seemed to earn their unfortunate break in this instance.

I'll add some stats and highlights in a bit, but I want to know what you think about this one. I'm pissed off given that the Wings' identity quest was marred by a terrible power play and a sense of indecisiveness that has cost the Wings too many points already.

Update: MLive's Ansar Khan already has a text recap up, as does the Free Press's Helene St. James (edit: and the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan, too)..

Stats:

Shots 30-27 Detroit overall.

The Wings and Hawks tied in shots in the 1st, going 11-and-11; the Wings out-shot Chicago 9-6 in the 2nd; the Wings out-shot Chicago 9-8 in the 3rd; and they were out-shot in OT 2-1.

The Wings went a hideous 0-for-6 in 11:17 of PP time, including 0-for-1 in 43 seconds of 5 on 3 time; the Hawks went 1-for-3 in 4:39 of PP time.

Jimmy Howard stopped 25 of 27 shots; Corey Crawford stopped 29 of 30.

The three stars, per the "Chicago Media," were Marcus Kruger (3), Pavel Datsyuk (2) and Corey Crawford (1).

The Wings' goal: Franzen (1) from Brunner (1) and Zetterberg (4).

Faceoffs 33-31 Detroit (Detroit won 52%);

Blocked shots 20-14 Chicago;

Missed shots 8-7 Detroit (total attempts 58-48 Detroit);

Hits 19-14 Detroit;

Giveaways supposedly 12-3 Chicago;

Takeaways supposedly 13-5 Chicago.

Update # whatever: Oh joy, even the Red Wings website's highlights are provided by and narrated by Comcast Sportsnet Chicago:

Oh joy, part 2: Via RedWingsFeed, NHL Tonight's Mark Roe and Mike Johnson blathered on about the game...

This Jimmy Howard save was pretty amazing, though:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

perfection's avatar

I was at the game and feel very fortunate to walk away with one point. While I hear you that it appeared we could keep up with the Hawks in the 3rd, I think it’s also important to keep in mind the Hawks played last night and we didn’t. Their energy level definitely faded as the game went on. I honestly don’t think we were as better as it seemed in the third.

Either way, it was a good game at least. Definitely kind of sloppy but I’m happy to get a point out of it. we could have easily been down 3-0 after the first. For the money I paid for my nosebleed seat, I just didn’t want us to get blown out… and we didn’t. So I actually felt pretty good about it. We also held one of the most dynamic teams in the league to 1 goal in regulation, all while playing kind of crappy, so I guess that’s a positive.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/27/13 at 10:12 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

All I see is 7 points back with 1 game in hand right now. Nothing more, nothing less. Time to put the pedal down while the teams below us sputter so we can get some room.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/27/13 at 11:00 PM ET

calquake's avatar

That was a very fair and accurate assessment of the game George.

Posted by calquake on 01/28/13 at 12:34 AM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

If this were game 10, I’d agree completely. But compared to the first 4 games, they improved in nearly every aspect except power plays. So I’ll take it as a hopeful sign of improvement and be happy that they got one point and hope Franzen starts/keeps scoring.

Posted by bleep bloop on 01/28/13 at 12:51 AM ET

Chet's avatar

WHEN CAN WE EXPECT THE SUBBAN OFFER SHEET, HOLLAND?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 01/28/13 at 01:21 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/27/13 at 11:00 PM ET

Yeah, looking at the standings today was eye-opening.  But really I just wanted to comment how awesome your new hot-dog-eatingm,-hipste-Murphy avatar is.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 01/28/13 at 01:27 AM ET

perfection's avatar

WHEN CAN WE EXPECT THE SUBBAN OFFER SHEET, HOLLAND?

I don’t think offer sheet is the way to go but a trade on the other hand could be. Trading assets we have a lot of is much better in the long run than signing Subban to the kind of absurd contract it would take for Montreal to not match the offer sheet. Plus, with that amount, if and when they don’t match, we’re giving them a first rounder or something on top of taking on a bad contract.

It’s funny because I’m guessing in negotiating with Subban’s agent, they are adamant that, at his age, for the next couple of years he’s nothing more than a $3mil per player, yet I bet they want the value in trade of a $6+ mil player (even higher than Subban apparently is asking for), because if they actually trade a 23 year old, fan favorite, top 2 dman, they likely want the value of what he’d be worth in the future.

The fact is, Holland and the vast majority of NHL GM’s are pretty good at what they do. They know the game. If Subban was simply “getable”, he would have been got. If he’s even on the trade block, it’ll take a LOT and it would take just an absurd offer sheet. Overpaying for people is how most of the crappy teams get crappy. The way you win with a cap is through player value. While we definitely NEED a top 2 dman, that’s just not that easy to get.

Assuming you don’t sign an UFA (and 80whatever year old Illitch went to the Suter residence himself to try and make that happen… definitely would be the preferred route). You either trade away precious assets (like Nyquist AND Filppula or something), you sign him to an absurd offer sheet (5 years at $7.5 per or something), you lose big time and try and get a top 5 pick (the Blackhawk/Penguin strategy… something tells me Wings’ fans won’t go for this, though this shortened season would sure be the least painless time to do it… just sayin), and that’s about it. Except of course the Red Wing model of drafting a guy 53rd overall and having him develop into one of the top 3 dmen of all time. Maybe Brendan Smith becomes a HOFamer. Who knows? Won’t help us much this season, though he had some incredibly sick moves tonight at the blue line, one drawing a penalty.

I think of the choices, trade is the most realistic and probably the least painless in the longterm, because we sure seem to have a lot more NHL ready forward prospects than defensive prospects. Supposedly Yandle is available for trade. He’d take a lot too, but he’s 26 and just entering his prime. He also plays in Pheonix, a place that could ship off a number one d-man and not have too much to worry about. Montreal on the other hand could have a riot on their hands if they trade away Subban. But I’d sure take either of them.

I know people here have mentioned in the past about dangling Franzen in a trade for one of these guys, but the problem is, Franzen either plays so good you’d never trade him (like playoff goal records) or he doesn’t play good at all and suddenly has a horrible contract, something no team is going to take in exchange for a young, #1 d-man. It would probably take trading players we wouldn’t want to see traded (Nyquist, Helm, Filps, etc.).

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/28/13 at 02:03 AM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Subban is not worth more than 3.5-4 Mil /yr.  7.5 is talking Lidstrom money and he will never ever approach TPH status. I think Subban would become a cancer in the dressing room on a struggling to make the playoffs team. There are better deals for Kenny to make.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 01/28/13 at 09:35 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Subban is talented but a huge douche rocket.  No thanks.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 01/28/13 at 12:06 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

also, the rec specs on murph are legendary.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 01/28/13 at 12:06 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Can we please get a power play and a penalty kill that works? Please?

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/28/13 at 03:20 PM ET