The Malik Report

Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard’s new mask channels the Spirit of Detroit

Goalie mask-painting maestro Ray Bishop revealed Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard's 2013-2014 season goalie mask this morning, and Howard's lid has a very specifically Detroit-related theme:

So the Shelby Mustang's gone, and instead, the Spirit of Detroit's raising Detroit's skyline. Very, very cool stuff, especially given what the city's going through and the rest of his gallery's available on Facebook (and yes, I know that SI's Allan Muir posted the mask art at the same time, but I had the thing bookmarked after an inadvertent quick-look leak last night).

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

journohoff's avatar

Jared Coreau’s new mask also looks awesome.

Posted by journohoff from Detroit, MI on 08/30/13 at 11:23 AM ET

Crater's avatar

Jared Coreau’s new mask also looks awesome.

Posted by journohoff from Detroit, MI on 08/30/13 at 11:23 AM ET

Actually like it more. But I drive a Hemi Challenger too, so I would.

I’m sorry to see the Retired numbers gone from Jimmy’s mask. I really liked that homage.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 08/30/13 at 12:21 PM ET

moocat's avatar

Bishop’s masks just don’t much for me on the average. His work aside from the odd mask (Miller) is just below par these days. I wish the Wings would let the goalies use some other painters like DaveArt.

Posted by moocat on 08/30/13 at 02:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I still say that looks like Kyle Quincey

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/30/13 at 03:21 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

All I see are man nipples.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/30/13 at 04:34 PM ET

Very tasteful.

Jared Coreau’s new mask also looks awesome.

Posted by journohoff from Detroit, MI on 08/30/13 at 11:23 AM ET

I’m an LS7 fan, but that HEMI design is totally badass.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/30/13 at 04:35 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/30/13 at 03:21 PM ET

My initial assessment was, “Hmm…Helm?  I’ll be damned; he has Darren Helm painted on his helmet.”

(Insert obligatory Helm/back/supporting Detroit joke here)

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/31/13 at 03:59 PM ET