The Malik Report

Red Wings GM Ken Holland on ‘After Hours’

From We All Bleed Red on YouTube, Red Wings GM Ken Holland spoke to the CBC's Scott Oake and Craig Simpson on After Hours, and the interview's worth watching:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Bugsy's avatar

My disclaimer is that I certainly haven’t agreed with everything Ken Holland has done, and therefore not going to defend everything he does/says (Did he really imply that Samuelsson and Bertuzzi might be back next year??? I hope I’m reading too much into that. Is 1-2 free agents really the limit?)
That being said, I really want to believe him on the rebuilding and holding onto the draft picks.. I can put up with even missing the playoffs this year (and next year?!) if I knew that the next few years after, the Wings fans can celebrate a top 3 or 4 club for several years after. I am NOT saying Holland doesn’t make mistakes (I’m not saying that criticisms from more knowledgable people like Garth and George aren’t correct), but after tonight, I wonder (in the big picture) if the rest of the NHL appreciates Holland more than we do.

It’s one thing to aim for the best, year in and year out, and that should be the goal. However, any GM that can bring a championship, let alone multiple championships to a city I think deserves the benefit of the doubt for the overall plan and for getting the team back on track. The argument is similar (although shakier) for Joe Dumars in basketball, again not because he hasn’t screwed up at times, but because a championship (or 4) is a lot better resume than most other GM’s out there. In danger of firing up the S word (spoiled), no recent team in any sport has come close to this playoff streak. It’s possible Holland is on the decline and he’ll be fired in several years/bumped up to let Jim Nill take over (if he’sstill here), but I think there’s enough reason to grin and bear it and see what Holland does the next few years in rebuilding more from within it appears.

Thank you George, for linking this and get well.

Posted by Bugsy on 04/21/13 at 05:47 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Did he really say he likes the salary cap? I’m going to puke.
Oake saying players used to want to sign with the Wings but now as Holland answers about every team in the league has a good chance at signing those top free agents every summer.

For his sake and more importantly us fans sake I hope the prospects he insisted on not trading away at the deadline the last two seasons pan out for the team eventually.

Ah bettman’s parity is so much fun.

Maybe Columbus will win the SC this year!

shock

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 04/21/13 at 06:24 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

If Sammy and Bert are back next year I’m officially off the Holland band-wagon.

I’d rather let our kids play and rebuild - even at a slow pace.
Guys like Tatar and Nyquist need to be full-time NHLers next year. And I’d like to see what Ferraro can do at the NHL-level as well.

I really do believe we should have been sellers at the deadline. Even if we do squeak into the playoffs, this team isn’t even remotely close to winning a Cup. Maybe not even one round of the playoffs.

Posted by Hank1974 on 04/21/13 at 08:31 AM ET

gt500x's avatar

Holland is misguided unfortunately.  He’s become enamored with the great stories of vets playing beyond their years and—to quote him from last year—giving them “good hockey” at the expense of the future of our team.  Now I’m not advocating playing “all” the kids as someone will try and twist it; I’m saying that the league has changed to one that allows teams playing their youth to remain competitive.  Our “core” may have a lot of hockey left in them as Holland says but unless your.name is Datsyuk it’s not “good hockey”

Posted by gt500x on 04/21/13 at 09:36 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Thanks for posting this George. I am away from home working, and they don’t get the CBC in louisville.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/21/13 at 11:38 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Bertuzzi better be back if healthy. This team has missed his presence. He’s still good for 40 points, does a decent job of keeping most opposing players honest when playing on Pav’s wing, and I think he’s good with the kids.

Better yet, would the Wings be in the playoffs right now if Bertuzzi was healthy all year?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/21/13 at 12:37 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

Big Bird certainly would be a weapon in the skills competition. His health is a major concern for me though.  I don’t believe he’ll go long before his back problem recurs.

Posted by gt500x on 04/21/13 at 12:50 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Did he really say he likes the salary cap? I’m going to puke.
Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 04/21/13 at 06:24 AM ET

I kinda had a “Wow, he’s towing the line” moment there.  I’m sorry, but those days where you could throw nearly $90 million at your payroll were GM gold right there.  But I’m happy to see him take a positive take on the situation that is just reality now and do his best to pragmatically move forward.  It’s a tough spot right now, and I’m sure Ken & Co. will handle it with aplomb.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 04/22/13 at 03:14 AM ET