The Malik Report

Red Wings evening quickies regarding one Daniel Alfredsson

The Detroit Free Press has posited a pair of "emptying the notebook"-style articles regarding Red Wings GM Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock's appearances on Detroit Sports 105.1 FM this past Tuesday. On Friday, Brian Manzullo noted that Holland is unconcerned about the Wings' relative lack of size as they move East, and today, Manzullo notes that Babcock was plain old floored by Daniel Alfredsson's desire to come to Detroit--mostly because Babcock got involved in the "wining and dining" process after Alfredsson had already made up his mind:

“He was telling us he was coming,” Babcock told ‘Ryan and Rico’ on Detroit Sports 105.1 FM last week. “It was unbelievable how it worked out. Great for us.”

Babcock unloaded plenty of praise on Alfredsson, who joined the Wings along with center Stephen Weiss earlier this off-season. Alfredsson, from Sweden along with Zetterberg, played his previous 17 NHL seasons with the Ottawa Senators and, as captain, led them to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2007.

“We are so lucky and thrilled to have him, it’s not even funny,” Babcock said. “Three things jump out at me right away. No. 1, an ultra competitve guy. Just unbelievable how he raises his game, he’s been a captain in the league for a long time. An elite competitor who brings it every day.

“No. 2, a high, high hockey IQ. Very, very smart. Smart like (Pavel) Datsyuk and Zetterberg. That kind of elite mind in the game which you can never have enough of.

“And then the third thing, for me, is the right-hand shot. We haven’t had a bomb like that on the power play since (Brendan) Shanahan left, from the right side. He’ll make us way better.”

Manzullo also notes that Babcock plans on tapping Alfredsson's knowledge to help both those on the bench and behind it:

“He’s been around a long time, he’s going to have theories on how things should be done, he’ll be comfortable enough to share them with you, and I think that makes your staff better and, therefore, makes your team better.”

If you want to hear the interviews with Holland and Babcock, here they are:

Otherwise, the Toronto Sun's Steve Simmons made sure to get his digs in on the Alfredsson situation, suggesting that Bill Daly and the NHL shouldn't have backed off of punishing the Senators for attempting to circumvent the CBA and salary cap by giving Alfredsson a final year on his 4-year contract that he didn't plan on fulfilling...

There is absolutely no doubt now, as if there was ever doubt, that the last contract Daniel Alfredsson signed with the Senators was not intended to be fulfilled. In the he-said, he-said finger-pointing press conference of Thursday, Alfredsson said he had no intention of playing the final year of his contract for $1 million and the Senators knew that as well.

These were the kind of deals Brian Burke screamed so loudly — and rightly — about.

The kind of deal that cost the New Jersey Devils a first-round draft pick next season for signing a player who was later allowed to bolt his contract and return to Russia.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the NHL wants to look forward, not back, at salary cap management. But something seems wrong when New Jersey gets penalized for a similar crime while the NHL looks the other way on the Ottawa misstep.

But fear not, Simmons made sure to mock Alfredsson for suggesting that the was "owed" a better contract for playing out that final year at a below-market-value amount, too:

So I find this annoying: Alfredsson agrees to sign a contract that circumvents the cap, knowing he won’t play the final year for $1 million, but will instead retire. And when he changes his mind on a contract he agreed to, he wants to be further compensated for changing his mind and in fact living up to the terms of the deal he signed. Kid, you sign a smelly deal, the stink sometimes follows everybody around .

Otherwise....Good on ya if you can spot Kirk Maltby, Jiri Fischer and Dallas Drake in this picture...

And in Belarus, Championat's Paul Panyshev reports that Spartak Moscow and Amur Khabarovsk will battle it out to win the Ruslan Salei Memorial Tournament tomorrow in Minsk.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I love that people are crying foul because of the inconsistency of the NHL.  As if it’s surprising.  Do they not remember that there were a dozen ‘cap circumventing’ contracts that were signed yet ther was only one that was rejected, with the team being penalized?  Or that only one other one was even investigated?  Have they not been paying attention to the way the NHL deals with head shots?  Suspensions in general?  The selective dishing out of ‘mandatory’ punishment?  Why is something as unimportant as this (especially because he fulfilled the contract)  being harped on while the NHL is allowing future brain damaged retirees to be created and nobody gives a flying fuch?

Fuch you, Simmons and fuch anyone who is whining about this.

Posted by Garth on 08/17/13 at 09:13 PM ET

“Senators owner Eugene Melnyk gives his side of the…Oh, enough already!”

Or not.  I was hoping that entry was the last time we would both devote to this embarrassment of an owner/franchise/situation, at least until Oct 23 or Dec 1.  I can only speak for myself, but at this point, it’s become beyond tiresome and trite.  George, your abundant skills are best used for Red Wings news, not some podunk-capital-with-a-massive-inferiority-complex’s sniveling about their beloved/hated ex-captain.

He’s ours now; can we just focus on Daniel Alfredsson, the Red Wing?

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/17/13 at 10:07 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Unfortunately, this is the slow news season for hockey.  Thus, the continued dragging out of this saga.  Personally, I think this whole sage simply reflects badly on Melnyk.  The more he attempts to justify, the more like a yawksch he looks.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 08/17/13 at 11:01 PM ET

Bradley97's avatar

“Senators owner Eugene Melnyk gives his side of the…Oh, enough already!”

He’s ours now; can we just focus on Daniel Alfredsson, the Red Wing?

Posted by Mistercristo on 08/17/13 at 10:07 PM ET

Did you read George’s article? He explained clearly why he wrote the article, and then made it clear at the end that he was done following the story. It’s actually a very good read.

Posted by Bradley97 on 08/17/13 at 11:05 PM ET

I hear ya, Doc, but at this point, I’d rather read nothing than this regurgitated, bitter tripe (I’m looking at you, Ottawa).  Gives me heartburn.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/17/13 at 11:11 PM ET

Bradley97:

Yes, I read his (very good) article, and every other article that’s been posted about this for the past six weeks.  Granted, there was a deluge of things to cover at first, but now, it’s just Ottawa being butthurt.  This horse is not only dead, it’s already been used to make a macaroni picture frame by my daughter.  Screw them, and let’s look forward to seeing what an even-more-motivated Alfredsson does while wearing the Winged Wheel.

grin

Cheers!

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/17/13 at 11:32 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

“And then the third thing, for me, is the right-hand shot. We haven’t had a bomb like that on the power play since (Brendan) Shanahan left, from the right side. He’ll make us way better…. He’s been around a long time, he’s going to have theories on how things should be done, he’ll be comfortable enough to share them with you, and I think that makes your staff better and, therefore, makes your team better.”

This is why a team brings in “old, over the hill” players like the Wings do, and keeps on winning.

Posted by Bugsy on 08/17/13 at 11:37 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I had to toss Simmons off as “news,” but stupid news. He irritates me to no end.

I do not WANT to post any more Alfredsson-Ottawa crap. It’s painful to read and uncomfortable to post. But when somebody who has Simmons’ gravitas—even if he is an *#$%@&—posts something like that, I have to *note* it. I probably should have made my eye-rolling and head-shaking at the, “Hey, let’s go for the low-hanging fruit and whine about it for a Sunday column in August” distaste for what he did more clear.

I’m sorry.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/18/13 at 01:42 AM ET

George, you don’t owe an apology to anyone.  You’re the most thorough Red Wings blogger that I’ve ever had the pleasure to read.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 08/18/13 at 03:31 AM ET