The Malik Report

Red Wings did indeed send Calle Jarnkrok to Nashville w/ Eaves, and 3rd, for Legwand

Update:

TSN Bob confirms that Jarnkrok MAY HAVE a deal Sweden and MAY be playing in the SEL next season.

That's either the Wings knowing something about Jarnkrok that we don't or a massive, massive overpayment for David Legwand.

More:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

The Meal's avatar

You send us Jarnkrok and Eaves?  Not good enough.  We want your third rounder as well.

UGH. :(

Posted by The Meal on 03/05/14 at 04:13 PM ET

Wow, giving up on Jankrok for a rental is highly questionable.  All we’ve heard for the last few years is CJ will grow up to be like Zetterberg.  Holland has lost his way.  KH not getting out of the way for Yzerman is turning out to be a very bad move for the Wings.

Posted by Uncle Rico on 03/05/14 at 04:14 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

I think KH is just getting tired with his job.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 03/05/14 at 04:14 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Un *#$%@& real

This is as bad as the Oates for Bernie Federko.

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 03/05/14 at 04:15 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I had more than a few people telling me that Jarnkrok wanted to go back to Sweden.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/05/14 at 04:16 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I don’t know what to say.

how about “shit trade”

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 03/05/14 at 04:17 PM ET

Yes George this seems like a brutal trade.  Giving up on Jankrok for Legwand who is a pending UFA is a crappy deal.  KH says Legwand is good for 50-60 pts.yet Legwand only once has broken the 50 pts. barrier and the Wings are only getting him for 20 games guaranteed.  WTF?!

Posted by Uncle Rico on 03/05/14 at 04:17 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

We know Legwand. We don’t know how CJ will turn out at the NHL level. Eaves, well, good luck.
Win for Detroit

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 03/05/14 at 04:19 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Time will tell, I suppose. But unless Jarnkrok bolts for Sweden, this deal is easily the one that converts me from an unashamed Holland apologist to saying, “Too bad the Wings let Jim Nill leave for Dallas…”

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/05/14 at 04:19 PM ET

George, what about these rumors of Jankrok wanting to go back to Sweden?  I can’t believe that Detroit let this kid force their hand?

Posted by Uncle Rico on 03/05/14 at 04:19 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

This is as bad as the Oates for Bernie Federko

gawd you had to remind me. Maybe klima, graves and murphy for carson trade rates in this group too,eh

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 03/05/14 at 04:20 PM ET

perfection's avatar

George, while I agree this trade is horrible, especially when Kenny made a point of not wanting to give up a high end prospect, for a rental no less, I don’t think adding Eaves into it makes it any worse. He has already cleared waivers this season and his contract is up. His value is next to nothing. But trading Jarnkrok is really suspicious… I have to think there’s some sort of red flag there. Or Holland really was desperate.

Then again, I think this also shows what the market looks like. A lot of guys that were supposed to get moved weren’t. A lot of teams like the Penguins and the Sharks, who were supposed to make a lot of noise did nothing. The prices were high. But really, I’m kind of speechless on giving up Jarnkrok. I’m not saying they would have taken Ferraro (in fact it’s pretty obvious they wouldn’t… people can pretend Holland is incompetent but at the end of the day, all of the yes/no power is in Nashville’s hands. I’m sure Holland gave up the least they would say yes to), but I have a feeling Ferraro gets waived next season and if Legwand also doesn’t resign… this will look terrible. Man, I don’t know what else to say. This is really a bummer.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/05/14 at 04:20 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

The only thing that makes sense is that Jarnkrok wanted out. That’s the only possible scenario.

This is a fall-off-your-chair-laughing deal. I refuse to believe there isn’t something else going on. There has to be.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/05/14 at 04:21 PM ET

Of course he did, the way this organization treats it’s prospects I’m surprised that Tatar and Nyquist are still here.  This team sacrifices prospects and youth for Cleary and Samuelsson’s and it’s biting them in the a$$.  Simple as that.  “Kids are not the answer” and “the NHL is a man’s league” are two of the biggest jokes around.  What good are prospects if you don’t play them?  If it wasn’t for injuries Nyquist would still be in Grand Rapids and Tatar would be in the KHL

Posted by bababooey on 03/05/14 at 04:21 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Even if Jarkrok is debating going to Sweden, it STILL is a shitty deal for Detroit.  Legwand is an aging mediocre center.  If it had been Eaves and a 3rd, it is close, but still probably a win for the Preds.  HORRIBLE.

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 03/05/14 at 04:21 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Brynas IF Gavle is Jarnkrok’s hometown team. It was incredibly difficult to bring him over here, and in Sweden, he can make half a million dollars playing at home.

These days he’s riding buses and making a hundred thousand bucks half a world away from home.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/05/14 at 04:22 PM ET

tekjansen's avatar

I guess the question would have been, where would Jarnkrok have gone?

Down the middle (when healthy) with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Sheahan, Weiss, Helm, Glendening (and Andersson/Emmerton), if Jarnkrok was going to fight for a job, he’d be battling Sheahan and Weiss for a top-9 spot. Otherwise, like how Tatar and Nyquist worked their way into the lineup, maybe they didn’t see enough versatility?

Ultimately, Sproul & Ouellet remain Wings, and Pulkkinen’s shot looks promising, not to mention hopefully next year’s backup, Mrazek.

If the gap between Pulkkinen and Ferraro was so large, then I’m not sure who else would have met the demands for Nashville.

Posted by tekjansen on 03/05/14 at 04:22 PM ET

If it’s true that Jarnkrok wanted out, ask yourself why?  Probably because he didn’t want to sit in Grand Rapids while the Wings re-singed guys like Cleary and Samuelsson types.  If Jarnkrok wanted out it’s been because of the way he’s been treated by the organization and saw his opportunities here limited.

Posted by bababooey on 03/05/14 at 04:23 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

So an unproven, but promising prospect, a 3rd and a “waiver-exposed-not-claimed” player for an veteran center for a team, who is missing their top-4 centers? I can live with this.

Posted by alukacs on 03/05/14 at 04:23 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Meh, I kind of think we got a decent deal. A big capable center for our second line has been a missing piece of the puzzle for years.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 03/05/14 at 04:24 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

This is possibly the worst trade I can remember the Red Wings making. Jarnkrok and Eaves for Legwand.

George, love reading your stuff, but worst trade ever???  How about the following?

1. Quincy for a 1st rounder?

2. Whatever we gave up for Uwe Krupp?

3. Robert Lang deal?

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/05/14 at 04:24 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 03/05/14 at 04:23 PM ET

So what your hockey insights are telling me is a young centre who hasn’t played well in the AHL wasn’t getting a chance to play with the Wings because two wingers were keeping them out?

McKenzie is announcing on TSN right now that Jarnkrok has a deal in Sweden already to go back to the SEL.

Posted by SK77 on 03/05/14 at 04:25 PM ET

Detroit got better today and made #23 more likely.  Instead of Joachim Andersson as our #1 center tomorrow we have a 1000-game player who is capable of producing at this level.  I’ll take it.

Jarnkrok, in case anyone forgot, had been passed on the organizational chart by Sheahan and Jurco and was looking like our #3 forward call-up for next season (behind Mantha and Pulkinnen).  While he still has upside, that’s all it is—upside, i.e., unrealized potential.

Sucks to give three assets for one, but Eaves—as big a fan as I am of the guy—is basically a throw-in who had no chance of being resigned here.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/05/14 at 04:25 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

This is one season that I would not have argued that “I like our Team” was the best way to go.
Legwand is a somewhat necessary evil all things considered, and, I’d hate missing the playoffs if Legwand is going to help get us there.

The goal every season is to win the Cup. You can’t win jack if you don’t make the playoffs.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/05/14 at 04:26 PM ET

He’s an NHL player George, or close to it, you can’t tell me he wants to go home as opposed to playing in the NHL.  This organization treats it’s prospects badly, at least if you’re going to trade them get something of value for him.  I mean did the Wings just find out he wanted out?  Why not shop for a better deal or package?

Posted by bababooey on 03/05/14 at 04:26 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Quincey trade was bad, Uwe was a free agent signing, Lang wasn’t a terrible deal compared to this.

This trade is worse than all three moves.

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 03/05/14 at 04:27 PM ET

My hockey insights are telling me that they should have gotten a better deal.  Jarnkrok was one of their top prospects, at least make a run at a better rental.

Posted by bababooey on 03/05/14 at 04:28 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I’m not usually one to tell people how to react to something, but between some of the stuff here and over at the shit-show known as HFBoards, people need to calm the *#$%@& down.

Seriously, it’s ONE PROSPECT.

Take a deep breath, get some *#$%@& perspective, and why not try waiting and seeing what happens instead of jumping to every negative conclusion possible? Is it really that *#$%@& hard?

My *#$%@& Dog.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 03/05/14 at 04:29 PM ET

SK77's avatar

My *#$%@& Dog.

Posted by RedMenace from Team Slovaskimo Fighting Snipers on 03/05/14 at 04:29 PM ET

WE WILL NOT BE HAPPY UNTIL SOMEONE PUNCHES KH IN THE BALLS.

Posted by SK77 on 03/05/14 at 04:30 PM ET

I agree. Let’s put the pitchforks away for a second. Jarnkrok is supposed to be the next Zetterberg, but probably not. We also have a bunch of centers (yes, I know they are all in the hospital).

Posted by boylioncat on 03/05/14 at 04:31 PM ET

tekjansen's avatar

This trade is worse than all three moves.

Quincey has been not what was expected, but improved enough this season that KH didn’t go out and replace him. We’ll see how Vasilevski develops. Short term it’s been alright.

Lang struggled for sure, but was leading the league in scoring at the time and it really cost the Wings the gamble of the pick on Mike Green and Fleischmann, who panned out into a decent 2nd/3rd line player. But Lang stuck around and shepherded Hudler.

This trade isn’t horrible unless Jarnkrok starts kicking ass in the NHL.

Posted by tekjansen on 03/05/14 at 04:31 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

How was he one of their best prospect? Maybe on paper, but in reality, he was passed on and wasn’t called up when 4 centers as missing (if you count #13 and #40 as centers)...
It’s one thing to hope that all of our prospects are amazing… but the reality is that he had little to no room to play if we have a healthy roster.

Now, we got a proven veteran center who can help us into the playoffs. Legwand waived his NTC, he is from Michigan. This is not a bad deal for our immediate needs…

Posted by alukacs on 03/05/14 at 04:32 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

What draft is the 3rd pick in?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/05/14 at 04:32 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 03/05/14 at 04:28 PM ET

They need a centre. The only better centre available was Kesler and we would have torn this message board down for whatever that would have cost.

Wings don’t take kindly to players or prospects not following the system. Jarnkrok getting passed on the depth chart by the likes of Sheahan and threatening to go back to Sweden is basically a one-way ticket out of town.

Posted by SK77 on 03/05/14 at 04:32 PM ET

perfection's avatar

This organization treats it’s prospects badly

such revisionist nonsense. bad trade or not (and I get it’s not apples for apples… especially if Calle’s going home), the Red Wings are the LEAGUE MODEL for prospect development. Just about every cup contender states explicitly they are trying to build their team like the Wings. If some prospects aren’t patient enough, that’s their problem. The good ones are. Yeah, we give veterans the first shot, but guess what, luring UFA’s is an entirely different art form and much more an issue of a player respecting an organization. Meanwhile, Babs said the best players would play and sure enough, he’s playing exactly who he wants. Patty Eaves has been sitting in the box while Gus, Tats, and Jurco are all playing ahead of him. This idea that prospects can’t play early (check Jurco’s age…) is a myth. You simply have to EARN it. Something that actually puts hair on these guys’ chest. I’d argue the patience we have in these prospects is EXACTLY why a guy like Sheahan can come up mature and confident. I’ve been following him since college and he looks by far the best he ever has. If Jarnkrok didn’t want to wait his turn or was afraid of the challenge, that’s really his problem.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/05/14 at 04:34 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

My *#$%@& Dog.

WE WILL NOT BE HAPPY UNTIL SOMEONE PUNCHES KH IN THE BALLS.

Posted by SK77 on 03/05/14 at 04:30 PM ET

TWICE

Seriously, though. If it was some kind of homesick/attitude problem, what are you gonna do. Maybe he just didn’t like playing in North America.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/05/14 at 04:35 PM ET

A few things:

So what if he bolts for the SEL, the Wings still own his rights.  And what happened to the headline: “Injuries won’t force the Red Wings hand at the deadline”?  I guess that was BS?  I’m all for clearing out logjam’s, but if the Wings are offering their top prospect why would they not ask for more?

Posted by bababooey on 03/05/14 at 04:36 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

So, do we really think this is a rental? With Jarnkrok going out the door as a center, and a hometown guy coming back, this doesn’t feel like a rental necessarily. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a new contract between Legwand and the Wings.

If that happens, it still asks questions about Andersson’s role on the team going forward, and the club’s comfort with Darren Helm’s long-term health. Or as yet unknown offseason trade possibilities.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/05/14 at 04:36 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

In 100 years this deal is still never gonna be as bad as the Adam Oates deal, or Klima,Murphy, and Graves for Jimmy Carson…...EVER!!

Posted by Down River Dan on 03/05/14 at 04:36 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

per HSJ tweet: If #RedWings make playoffs, pick becomes 2nd rounder to Nashville

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/05/14 at 04:36 PM ET