The Malik Report

Red Wings coach Babcock tells Keating that Jimmy Howard’s hurt hip flexor; Howard says he’s fine

I have no clue what it means, but Red Wings coach Mike Babcock told Fox Sports Detroit's John Keating that Jimmy Howard "hurt himself" at the end of the Wings' 3-1 win over Los Angeles, and Babcock declared that Howard would be "out for a while." As such, Petr Mrazek will start against the Ducks on Sunday.

Fox Sports Detroit's Darren Eliot reports that it's a hip flexor injury, and as hip flexors aren't exactly groins, "out for a while" could mean one game. We'll have to wait and see.

The Wings' beat writers are confirming that Howard has a sore hip flexor, and if I may be frank, if Howard's going to be able to back up Mrazek, he's probably not going to be out for a couple of weeks here. Hip flexors are tricky--Pavel Datsyuk and I deal with hip flexor soreness of the significant variety--but when they're not chronic, a tweak is a tweak. Again, we'll have to wait and see. Which sucks, but it's the truth.

I'm not a prognosticator type, but as Howard hasn't had a history of hip flexor trouble, I'm guessing that this isn't major.

Update: Well who the *#$%@& knows:

Update #2: Well okay then, per NHL.com's Curtis Zupke:

Howard injured his hip during a 44-save win against the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday night and won't be available Sunday against the Anaheim Ducks and possibly for longer, coach Mike Babcock said.

"Hurt his hip flexor," Babcock said. "He's out."

Asked during a television interview if Howard is out for a while, Babcock replied, "I don't know. You know how it is here."

Petr Mrazek will start in goal Sunday for Detroit, and Babcock wasn't sure if Jonas Gustavsson was fit to be the backup.

"I don't know how any of this works," he said. "I just know that Mrazek's starting [Sunday]."

Howard is one of three goalies selected for the U.S. roster for the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

Detroit is already without forwards Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, Darren Helm and Daniel Alfredsson, who was a late scratch Saturday with back spasms.

Asked if Alfredsson's injury was unexpected, Babcock responded, "I'm getting to expect it, right? I come in every day and someone's not playing. Bottom line is, the guys that dressed played hard."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Down River Dan's avatar

Man!!

Babcock doesn’t hold post game press conferences…he holds post game triage reports.
downer

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/12/14 at 01:47 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Howard says he’s fine of course.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/12/14 at 01:58 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I don’t want to believe there’s another injury. I just can’t.

In Mrazek we trust.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/12/14 at 02:07 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Jimmy Howard said he’s fine, hip flexor is fine, everything is fine

All i could think of was this:

/nerd

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/12/14 at 02:31 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Geez, I was so happy to read that Jimmy had such a great performance against the Kings, and now this…

WHAT is up with all the injuries?...

ohh

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/12/14 at 09:10 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

After an amazing team effort , Howie stealing a game, Tatar playing with the death of his father, all the team sucked it up and played with heart and character   THEN Howard is hurt sort of maybe…

They play the Ducks who are 18-0-1 at Home.

No idea what is going on internally with players/trainers with getting and staying in shape.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/12/14 at 10:06 AM ET

The need to put someone on the IR and bring up Jurco. And… Callahan? That would be good against the Ducks I think.

Posted by teldar on 01/12/14 at 10:17 AM ET

I wondered about howard’s left flexor. After he made a save in the third and his left leg was extended a King fell on him and it looked like really tweaked his flexor, but Howard didn’t seem to have any problems moving back across the crease to follow the puck.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s just a little sore. Hopefully.

Posted by teldar on 01/12/14 at 10:21 AM ET

Wings were letting him see so many shots, no wonder the Kings had 40+ SOGs.

Razer needs to be one mean SOB tonight as the Duhucks are gonna try to run him and intimidate him.  This is his challenge.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 01/12/14 at 12:39 PM ET

It’s one thing that players keep getting hurt, but why do I feel like we keep getting conflicting information from multiple people within the organization?

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 01/12/14 at 01:50 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 01/12/14 at 01:50 PM ET

Coach says, “He tweaked something and won’t start tomorrow.”

Player says, “I’m fine, leave me alone ... (stupid reporter).”

Not exactly newsworthy.