The Malik Report

Red Wings-Bruins post-game quickies: on Howard’s hand, Bertuzzi’s face and a framed scoresheet

Updated with more news about Howard at 6:32 PM: Amongst the post-game gnus, notes and other stuff from the Red Wings' 3-2 win over the Boston Bruins in a Columbus Day matinee (fear not, Wings fans, the game re-airs at 8 PM on FSD), mostly on a Twitter basis as it appears that the Wings' beat writers took mid-afternoon flights back to Detroit (which is a good idea given that it costs a crapton of money to stay in a hotel in Boston):

This is good news...

This is painful news...

As noted by CBS Sports' Brian Stubits, and per WorldofIsaac, a.k.a. A. Isaac of Guyism, it's REALLY painful...

And this made me laugh, especially given the reaction of the Bruins' press corps:

So yes, Babcock may have to frame the scoresheet given that the Bruins clutched and grabbed their way to 5 power plays (I can't say I blame him, though Brad Watson and whatever-his-name-is-that-isn't-Ghislan Hebert let a TON of crap go on both sides--what a difference a week makes in terms of the "crackdown," eh?)...

And it sounds like Howard's "blood in his hand" bruise (technically, that's what a bruise is, a pooling of blood) is going to keep him out for a couple of games (i.e. perhaps until the weekend):

Even in this day and age, it is possible to get a "stinger" in your hand and suffer a bruise, though I'm starting to wonder whether he got hacked on the back of the hand as that's generally a more vulnerable area (and while I haven't caught up on Saturday's game yet, the Flyers were hackin' and whackin' everybody).

Update: Here's more on Howard from MLive's Ansar Khan:

Jonas Gustavsson learned 15 minutes before the opening faceoff that his first start in nearly seven months was coming against one of the best teams in the league, in a building where his club was soundly beaten nine days earlier.

Gustavsson seized the moment. After a disappointing injury-riddled 2013 season, the Detroit Red Wings backup goaltender got off to a terrific start in 2013-14, making 28 saves to lead the Red Wings to a 3-2 victory over the Boston Bruins in a Columbus Day matinee at TD Garden.

...

“Got to give Gus a ton of credit,’’ coach Mike Babcock said “In the end, it was a real good start for us and for Gus because he gets confidence and we need to get 20 games or 20-plus games out of him. If he feels good about himself and our team feels good about him, he can play more and it keeps Howie fresher, so real positive for us.’’

It was determined in the pregame warmup that Jimmy Howard couldn’t play due to the bruised left (catching) hand he sustained during the second period of Saturday’s 5-2 win over Philadelphia. Howard said it is doubtful he will play Tuesday at home against Columbus.

“Tried to get through it (warmups) and just not happening,’’ Howard said. “I took three shots in the area where I got injured and it was extremely painful, so decided to rest it and get the swelling out of the area. It’s probably just day-today. The Monster did a great. He really played a great game for us. He deserves a lot of credit.’’

Said Babcock: “He practiced (Sunday) and was all right but he’s got some blood in the hand and they’re trying to keep (the swelling) down, but maybe it’s swollen too much now, so I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow. We’ll monitor the situation and decide who goes tomorrow.’’

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

And I was all like, “Yeah, man. So does everyone in this world.”

Look out, Dater, Jesse Connolly is comin’ for your snark crown.  Oh man, Babcock’s got to feel the sting of that righteous burn!

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/14/13 at 05:56 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

You know, this might not be a popular opinion here, but I’m not all that freaked out about Boston not getting a penalty. I watched the entire game, and cannot remember a moment where I thought, ‘wow, how did they miss that call?’

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/14/13 at 06:25 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I thought that they didn’t do anything blatant, but some of the hooks and holds the Wings were called for were let go on Boston’s side.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/14/13 at 06:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I nominate Jesse Connolly for jibrone of the year.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/14/13 at 06:40 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/14/13 at 06:34 PM ET

I tend to go with Mickey Redmond that there are way too many penalties these days.  That said, its more or less public knowledge that the refs try to “even it up,” so… what gives?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 10/14/13 at 06:42 PM ET

At least Bert got ice on his injury right away.

Posted by MJW on 10/14/13 at 07:17 PM ET

perfection's avatar

“If he feels good about himself and our team feels good about him, he can play more and it keeps Howie fresher, so real positive for us.’’

so I don’t think this quote from Babs can be understated. This is probably the biggest thing to come out of todays win. The points are nice and against Boston even better, but how far we go this year could very much come down to limiting Howard. We got away with it last year because it was a half a season, but Jimmy cannot simply play every game this year.

And regarding the refs, I agree there definitely was nothing too blatant that I thought should have been called, but the calls on the Wings, particularly the Kronwall call to start that 5-3 was total BS. I also think the double minor to end the 2nd was kind of crap and should have been a Boston player alone. They were starting stuff at the Wings goal just about every stoppage of play at that point. Granted they did stop after that, but it still was a chance for the ref to actually punish the act and not also the response.

While they didn’t play a ton, I thought the fourth line showed up when we needed them. They brought a lot of energy the first period and frankly I thought they outplayed Boston’s heralded fourth line. Obviously they rode the pine the last third of the game, but they definitely contributed to the win by helping to set the tone.

Nice to see Franzen, Weiss, Alfie, and Cleary all contribute. They are really the four guys that we need to get going the most. With the way Dats and Z are playing, if we can get the kind of secondary scoring we expect out of at least Franzen, Weiss, and Alfie, we will be in great shape this year.

And just a friendly reminder to everyone to really stop and treasure every game you get to watch Pavel Datsyuk. Holy crap it’s simply jawdropping. It’s the kind of stuff that we will miss so much when it’s gone and seeing him night in and night out is truly a privilege. I have to remind myself this just about every game. It’s funny because I notice Mickey and Ken doing the same thing in their broadcasts. If you are a hockey fan, there’s just no player on the planet who is more FUN to watch. He can make a simple stick lift a marvel. The Bergeron one today with the reaction was just priceless. Even a player who is supposedly about as good of a defensive forward as Pav simply couldn’t understand it. Amazing stuff.

And then of course his play on the Z goal… just incredible. can you imagine the LENGTH his complete highlight reel will be at the end of his career!? hours and hours and hours and hours….

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/14/13 at 07:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m watching on my DVR right now and there was a pretty bad slew-foot by Chara on Abdelkader about 5:30 into the game that probably should have been called.

Other than that, just a few hooks and obstructions here and there gone uncalled for both sides.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/14/13 at 07:31 PM ET

perfection's avatar

good call. that slew foot actually looked pretty dangerous now that you mention it.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 10/14/13 at 08:20 PM ET

Primis's avatar

No complaints here.

Wings won, even with the ridiculous PP disparity.  That’s got to eat at Boston all the more.  2 pts against a divisional rival, in their building, at a time when their fans were on a high, one of their traditional “special” days.  And they got almost a full 2 min. of a late 2-man advantage even that DET calmly killed off.  Good stuff.

Also, Boston got a good second look at Datsyuk and man…. they can’t like what they see.  I was mildly impressed that Edwards and Brickley praised the Pav-Z goal like they did.  It really *is* going to see how TOR, BOS, MTL, etc react to seeing Datsyuk a lot more.  I’m betting he starts to get a lot more cred around the league as people realize Crosby isn’t even in his league and yet they’ve been claiming otherwise all this time.

I definitely think it was right:  the East is going to need to adjust to the Wings, the Wings don’t need to adjust to the East.  And that’s amusing for so many reasons.

Posted by Primis on 10/14/13 at 11:09 PM ET

LiteWork's avatar

Crosby is so much better than Datsyuk its not even funny.

Posted by LiteWork on 10/15/13 at 06:12 AM ET

wedge56's avatar

Hey is Crosby one of Pittsburgh’s best penalty killers?  Never mind.  Rhetorical question because everyone knows the answer.

Posted by wedge56 on 10/15/13 at 09:06 AM ET