The Malik Report

Red Wings-Bolts quick take: Wings have lost seven of ten…And that’s scary

I'm running a fever so I'm going to keep this brief, but...

I'm *#$%@& baffled. The Red Wings continue to waste strong performances by Jimmy Howard, and thanks to a litany of turnovers, unforced errors and plain-old poor decision-making, the Wings have dropped 3 straight (taking 2 out of a possible 6 points) and have lost 5 straight at Joe Louis Arena, for the first time in 26 years.

This one came in the form of a 3-2 OT loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning, a team the Wings will play 4 more times this season, and it came thanks to some really dumb mistakes--whether it was the complete and total lack of coverage on Ryan Malone, the team's baffling inability to cover Steven Stamkos after coming off of over 4 minutes of power play time, or Kyle Quincey's doofy give-it-to-the-game-winner pass to Teddy Purcell under pressure from Richard Panik.

Henrik Zetterberg (2 goals), Pavel Datsyuk, Danny DeKeyser, Niklas Kronwall, Todd Bertuzzi and Howard did their best to take the team on their backs, but the Wings have an error-prone cast behind them (with perhaps the exception of Daniel Alfredsson), and...They look awful. Truly awful.

It shouldn't even surprise you that the Wings were out-shot 4-0 in OT and 34-27 overall, because that's become commonplace.

Now I feel awful, so I'm going to try to take a nap, and if I feel well enough to write a recap, I will most certainly try, but if this is all I can give you, then I'll suggest that the Wings look rudderless and like Tomas Tatar did in the 3rd and OT--indecisive, trying to deke and dangle their way through something they simply need to put their shoulder down and grind through.

This team needs to stop getting cute and start getting deliberate in a hurry, because it's playing with absolutely zero confidence, little impetus or urgency and just no poise or resolve. They continue to waste fantastic efforts from their goaltender, and I think it's officially time to admit that the Wings are in trouble after having dropped 7 of their past 10 games.

Whether that means that it's finally time to do what's necessary to bring up Gustav Nyquist or whether that means that this team somehow needs to bolster its defense via trade, I do not know, but I am grateful that the Wings have 2 days between now and their next game against Winnipeg on Tuesday, and 2 more between Tuesday's game and Friday's home tilt against Washington...

Because this team needs as much practice time--after taking tomorrow off--as it can possibly get to try and sort itself out.

Sorry I can't give you more for now. I'm sniffly and boogery and have a bad case of the chills. I'll do stats (the game summary and event summary are yours to dissect as you wish) when I am able...

All I can say is that Jimmy Howard deserves better than this, the players who're leading this team deserve better from those who are supposed to be backing them up, and for f***'s sake, the Red Wings fans who've paid good money to watch the team drop a 1-0 loss to San Jose, a 6-1 loss to Ottawa, a 3-2 OT loss to the Rangers, a 4-3 OT loss to the Stars and now a 3-2 OT loss to Tampa Bay deserve to watch a better paid-for product.

Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom have been to the rink recently, and they serve as a reminder that the standards of excellence for this team remain sky-high--and they should be. The Detroit Red Wings have the talent, grit, heart and will to win games when they put their collective and individual hearts and minds and asses to the task. They aren't living up to the standard to which they MUST ascribe.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Red Winger's avatar

The Wings aren’t very good.

No, they are not.

A friend and I were watching the game last night, and even he admitted the Wings are a below-average team, and he is a guy who will make excuses for the team until the cows come home.

This organization is in as bad a shape as it was in the mid-80s, of that there is little question. What is a question is how long we as fans will accept this. I hope to God we are not the Lions fans and accept below-mediocrity for decades, but who knows.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/10/13 at 02:26 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

... absolutely stupid standard of watching him play hockey.

He’s strong defensively, borderline dominant in the face off circle, is good on the puck and off the puck and can put the puck where it needs to go when making plays.

Then we see two different players, Weiss is so-so on Faceoffs, had two good games in the circle and before that he was like most average faceoff-men up and down. Far away from borderline dominant. I guess his 51% speak for it.

He is good on the puck? Where and when? All I see is watching him try enter the zone, D stepping up, Weiss ends up losing the puck or dumps it in, which is good as a giveaway.

Yeah and his linemates are surely responsible for his -3, that’s why all of them were on the ice for more goals-for than against…

Since I have Game Center live I’d like you to name me a game or period where Weiss is the top 6 player you claim he is (especially his “good on the puck” skills). Just because he was a top 6 player in FLA doesn’t mean he is in Detroit.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 11/10/13 at 02:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This organization is in as bad a shape as it was in the mid-80s

Hahahahaha wow.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/10/13 at 02:39 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

Hahahahaha wow.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/10/13 at 01:39 PM ET

I know. That may be one of the most ridiculous comments ever made on this board, which is really saying something.

Posted by PDXWing on 11/10/13 at 03:02 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by PDXWing on 11/10/13 at 02:02 PM ET

Especially considering the Weiss posts several above.

There are apparently a LOT of very delusional Wings fans right now.

I’m sorry JJ, you were right.  I had suggested a Stupid Wings Fan Opinions/Comments feature for the next WIIM Radio podcast but my God… there are just so many now how would you choose?  The idea goes from Amusing to Depressing rather quickly.  I’d like to think that some people are just panicking and grabbing the first random opinion they can to rationalize, but…

Every time I think I’ve read the dumbest thing, someone else posts something and proves me wrong.

I know that’s not what George wants to read on here, and sorry George.  But seriously, some of you get a freaking grip on yourselves.

What happened last season was an outlier.  It was a happy thing.  The Wings overachieved.  For our own standards of what we are used to, maybe not.  But given what they had, they overachieved.  I know some fans recognized it and appreciated it for what it was.  A team that should not have been in the playoffs nearly made the Conference Finals.  That’s the reality.

This, right now?  This is what the Wings were LAST year.  They’re not really a playoff team I guess.  It just had a better ending last year than they’re probably going to have this time around.

What you guys see as “maddening” and frustrating right now?  THEY’RE OVERACHIEVING RIGHT NOW PROBABLY TOO.  They’re stealing 1 point when they should probably have none.  Really THINK about that.

Posted by Primis on 11/10/13 at 03:43 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I do my best Primis. smile

Posted by calquake on 11/10/13 at 04:01 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Posted by Primis on 11/10/13 at 02:43 PM ET

So your conclusion is the wings overachieved? Are you an economist or something?
By what standards you measure over-achievement? And what’s wrong with overachieving anyway, especially in sports?

Just when you started talking about ridiculous comments…

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 11/10/13 at 04:13 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

And what’s wrong with overachieving anyway, especially in sports?

There’s obviously nothing wrong with overachieving.  The problem comes when you (either as a member of the team, management, or as a fan) fail to realize you overachieved and expect that level of performance to continue.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 11/10/13 at 05:11 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 11/10/13 at 04:11 PM ET

+13.

Posted by Primis on 11/10/13 at 05:54 PM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

They’re underachieving when they’re sticking with the other team the whole time, often holding a lead for around 40 minutes, and just giving it away in a handful of (usually noncontiguous) minutes of crappier than normal play. Either this team is not as bad as people think or most other teams are worse than people think.

The constant turnovers are terrible and are costing points. Without those, the offense works for more than one out of every ten shifts and this team looks like it can beat anyone. With the turnovers, they look like crap, but are usually pretty good at covering up enough to avoid giving up goals (if they weren’t, the scores would be lopsided a lot more often than they are). That kills the offense and saps the energy from play all around.

Posted by bleep bloop on 11/10/13 at 08:13 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Are the Wings the best team in the league?  No.  However, we’re still 9-5-4 for 22 points and we’re sitting 4th in the East.  The sky is not falling people.  Also, SixDFive has all of 29 games under his belt.  He’s going to strengthen our D every game he plays.  We’d all love Kenny to make a move to strengthen our D, but 20 of the 30 teams are all in the same boat we are so we’re pretty much stuck with this team.  And right now, we’re maddening, but we’re an OK team.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 11/10/13 at 11:18 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 11/10/13 at 10:18 PM ET

And they would only be 10th in the West currently with those numbers.  And I don’t need to tell you 9-5-4 is actually 9-9, or .500 hockey.

Their goal differential is now -3.

Posted by Primis on 11/11/13 at 12:40 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

We’re not in the West.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 11/11/13 at 01:05 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

9-5-4 is actually 9-9, or .500 hockey.
Their goal differential is now -3.

bingo!