The Malik Report

Red Wings-Blues quick take: a joke all the way around

I would yell and scream at the Red Wings for engaging in awfully stupid lateral passing up the ass, shooting an unbelievable number of single, un-screened shots on Brian Elliott (who had a ridiculously easy night thanks to no butts in front, no screens and no rebound attempts from the Wings, never mind sustained pressure by the Wings) and essentially playing like they didn't God-damned *#$%@& care until the last five minutes of their 1-0 loss against the Blues, but Jeebus *#$%@& Monkey, I cannot believe how ridiculously jobbed the Wings were by Dan O'Halloran during the last three minutes of the game.

Yes, the Wings played with all the energy of a wet noodle, allowing St. Louis to push, shove, grab, grope, hook, hold and intimidate a team that did all of nothing save back-passing and happiliy being steered into the God-dang boards all *#$%@& night long, as if surrendering the first goal--mostly because Jimmy Howard was shoved into the net and Danny DeKeyser didn't take Kevin Chris Porter's stick after Jakub "I can shoot from 80 feet out, look at me!" Kindl made an awful turnover and then the Wings made a worse line change--and the Wings did jack and shit with their three power plays...

But the sequence of events over the last couple minutes of the game were just charade-worthy pathetic. Cory Emmerton gets mauled behind the Blues net and held down, but there's no call. Henrik Zetterberg's stick is grabbed and held and smothered like a stripper pole by David Perron, and yet Zetterberg goes for daring to attempt to retrieve his stick. And then Niklas Kronwall's called because the NHL's "new" rules prohibit players from daring to so much as touch the puck with their hand if their fingertips cover it, Kronwall goes to the box, and while the Wings kill off the 4-on-3 and then 5-on-4 penalties, the Wings get an incredibly late faceoff with 20 seconds left, the puck's mucked to the boards, Alex Pietrangelo LAYS ON THE PUCK FOR TWELVE SECONDS and time is allowed to expire.

The Wings did a wonderful job of *#$%@& themselves over against a team that now leads Detroit by a point in the Western Conference standings and has two games in hand over the Wings, but everything they did to earn an infuriating loss was negated by the way in which Mr. I Have Refereed in 1,000 Games and I Can Call Nothing All Day Long Because I Have a Bus to Catch ensured that the Wings would have no means by which to rally over the last three minutes of play.

Awful game. Worse execution by the Wings, whose absence of levels of heart, grit, determination and competition despite spending Friday night in Denver to avoid the incredibly heavy legs and physical and mental fatigue they displayed in a nearly lifeless and half-hearted effort during a must-win first game back from a West Coast trip. And just disgusting refereeing.

I'm too angry to do stats or post updates. I have to step away from the computer because I'm just absolutely infruiated by this farce of a game. I hope Gary Bettman enjoyed it, and I'm sure the Wings will be fined $10,000 because Al Sobotka dared to swing an octopus over his head, polluting the ice with "matter."

What a *#$%@& joke.

The Wings played just as badly as they did in Phoenix, happily allowing yet another team to steer them into the boards and strip them of the puck. Even Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zeterberg continued the endless procession of back-passes to defensemen who had no shooting lanes. And while Babcock knew this was his only chance to see Riley Sheahan as Zetterberg's groin was the only reason the Wings could use the "emergency" call-up, Jordin Tootoo's energy was incredibly missed.

Awful. Just awful. Disheartening, heartbreaking and sad.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Jeez. Of all games for you to be so emotional, I wouldn’t expect it to be this one.

I think they sucked almost every time they entered the offensive zone, but otherwise? Good effort, for this roster. The Blues, for all their size and roughness, sure didn’t dominate us in the defensive zone.

But boy, would I like to see the Wings get back to fundamental aspects of playing offense in hockey. Drive the net, get rebounds, shoot from the circles and middle of the ice, one timers…ugh. It’s painful to watch them just cough up the puck shortly upon crossing the blue line, or get off one wrist shot from 40 feet out, coming down the wing.

It all goes back to the system. Wings can’t win if they aren’t a puck possession team.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 04/07/13 at 02:28 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I didn’t think the effort was terrible. At least they are generating some offensive chances; they aren’t finishing at all, but at least they are creating some opportunities.

Our window of opportunity for 22 is getting smaller

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/07/13 at 02:35 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I had to watch on NBC Sports stream, and it was jumping like that time slip episode of Futurama. I missed about half the game, including an entire power play. Thanks NBC and NHL for saving me from watching such a garbage effort.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/07/13 at 02:39 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

Another playoff style game. They have to start winning those more often or it’s going to be a long summer again.

Posted by gt500x on 04/07/13 at 02:42 PM ET

harken23's avatar

Maybe with the move east, the Wings’s organIsation will start turning down offers to play on Sunday mornings. They haven’t looked competent early on Sundays since NBC picked up rights to broadcast NHL games. Naturally, money will win out, but how many goals have they score on Sundays this year? One, with 33 seconds to play vs CHI to make it only a 7-1 blowout? Sick of it.

Posted by harken23 on 04/07/13 at 02:45 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Can you imagine any other league time shifting games like this? The NHL is a bit of a joke.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/07/13 at 02:46 PM ET

thought the effort was pretty good, except in the offensive zone They need to assert themselves more on offense, oh and maybe hit a d-man on the forecheck.

the reffing was a ^%$&*%^ joke.

Posted by akwingsfan on 04/07/13 at 03:21 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Here’s the thing about the Red Wings: They’re not very good.

Once you understand and accept that (not in general…I mean to the extent that they’re not going anywhere this year), the losing gets a lot easier to take.

I have been less disappointed after losses this year than in any year I can ever remember. I expect them to lose now, and they often do. That’s a lot easier than watching them lose when I expect them to win.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/07/13 at 04:19 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

... Go Griffins.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 04/07/13 at 04:41 PM ET

I was not impressed by the officiating. There was a surprising amount of clutch and grab hockey going on, which I’d supposed to be against the rules. Whatever.
I didn’t think the Wings looked awful, but they still need another real top 6 forward to replace Abdelkader.

Posted by teldar on 04/07/13 at 04:44 PM ET

Mandingo,
I agree. They’re just too thin. They are finally bringing up some talent and letting them play.  Should have brought up tater tot and let him take Abdelkader’s slot to try to create a little more. Some upgrades in the bottom 6 so there’s some skill there and a decent fa signing in the summer could make a huge difference.

Posted by teldar on 04/07/13 at 04:47 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Here’s the thing about the Red Wings: They’re not very good.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/07/13 at 05:19 PM ET

And now you know why some of use want to throw Ken Holland off a bridge.  Because so many of the rest of us can see it.  How he can’t, I dunno’...

I still firmly believe the Wings were a d-man away from being much more of a contender.  A d-man you could throw out there and eat minutes without Wings fans wanting to kill themselves everytime they get as shift.

Without that though, they’re dog food.

Posted by Primis on 04/07/13 at 05:03 PM ET

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/07/13 at 05:19 PM ET

Absolutely.

And I did think it was cool that they played Sheahan, but it begs the question: If you’re going to be giving tryouts (or at least a taste of NHL play) to Griffins then then why didn’t they trade their impending UFAs for picks and allow even more Griffins to get their shot?

Posted by Garth on 04/07/13 at 05:14 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Without that though, they’re dog food.

Posted by Primis on 04/07/13 at 06:03 PM ET

DeKeyser – surprisingly & competently – has been doing just that.

Posted by SK77 on 04/07/13 at 05:17 PM ET

redwings77's avatar

getting shutout by mother friggin brian idiot is abominable, absolute garbage

Posted by redwings77 on 04/07/13 at 05:26 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Actually, the Wings have been over-achieving this year, largely thanks to Jimmie Howard.
This re-building is going to take at least 2 more seasons, maybe 3.
It will take that long to bring up and season talent from the farm system.
Trade?  We do not have more than a bag of pucks to trade.

I am sure that Holland regrets trading a 1st round pick for Quincey, in a last-ditch effort to win a cup in Lidstrom’s final year.

In the meantime, I thought the Wings played hard today.  If the officials has seen that “Too many men” situation, that would have given us a 5 on 3 for a full minute.

In the mean time, they really need somebody with a Homer-sized @ss to stand in front of the goalie.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/07/13 at 05:53 PM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

The Wings appear to think the Blue Paint is to tough an area to go to. Except the heart players like Z, Pav.,Aby ..

When is the last time you ever saw Fil in the paint taking a beating to obstruct his view? Poor Andersson stuck with Cleary and Miller except when Cleary was on the PP and playing in the last minute of the game, unbelievable.

Wings need some younger, bigger, faster Wingers that are willing to make the sacrifice to win.  Pretty soft game against a physical team, I thought.

Tough 9 games left. I don’t see Mr Illitch getting any extra $$$ for a couple of playoff games this year.

Posted by OnlyWings on 04/07/13 at 06:08 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

Posted by gt500x on 04/07/13 at 06:23 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

So it’s the Coyotes nipping at our heels (sorry). The schedule is not their friend, which helps us a bit

10 games left, 7 on the road

of the 10, Ana, SJ twice, Van, Chic, StL

April 22 they are in Detroit, lots could change between now and then, but right now that game has “season” and “streak” written all over it

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/07/13 at 06:26 PM ET

markierer's avatar

Nevertheless a player, and we talk here about NHL players, who puts his hand on a puck is a fool. Specially when this is 2 min before the end and in a safe zone. Yesterday I watched NSH with Weber and Josi and wow, this is another defense level. I hope the Wings will invest in two first line defenders next season. They have none.

Posted by markierer on 04/07/13 at 06:29 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

Posted by markierer on 04/07/13 at 07:29 PM ET

Lol.  Don’t hold your breath.  Holland has been trying to get a number 2 defenseman since Rafalski retired.

Posted by gt500x on 04/07/13 at 06:36 PM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

“I enjoyed coaching today,” Babcock said. “I enjoyed watching our players compete. I liked our game. Our power play I thought could have been more dangerous. Our penalty kill was good. I just thought it was a good hockey game.”

I guess I was watching a different game.  Not sure if he is being honest or just not trying to not hurt any feelings. Maybe time to call out the obvious floaters?

Posted by OnlyWings on 04/07/13 at 07:03 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Danny DeKeyser didn’t take Kevin Porter’s stick

You sure that was 65 and not 55?  Coulda swore it was Kronwall that was not tying up Porter’s stick and not clearing the puck at the same time.

Speaking of Kronwall, can he ever get a shot thru to the net?  Every shot the guy takes gets blocked.  Man it’s frustrating.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/07/13 at 07:04 PM ET

Bradley97's avatar

Here’s the thing about the Red Wings: They’re not very good.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/07/13 at 05:19 PM ET

Right on the money.  zipper

Posted by teldar on 04/07/13 at 05:44 PM ET

You do know who was officiating, right? No surprises today.

Without that though, they’re dog food.

Posted by Primis on 04/07/13 at 06:03 PM ET

Woulda, coulda, shoulda…

It was obvious from the beginning of free agency Holland should have ignored the big money targets and gone after Wideman and Semin. Tootoo was the only good signing, and Babcock should have used him today against the Blues.

The Wings need to get a lot tougher if they want to compete the East next season.

Posted by Bradley97 on 04/07/13 at 08:25 PM ET

Chet's avatar

didn’t see it, won’t now. the 8-1 matchup must be avoided.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/07/13 at 08:47 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

didn’t see it, won’t now. the 8-1 matchup must be avoided.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/07/13 at 09:47 PM ET

The 8-1 matchup is extremely likely with Minnesota winning today, and honestly I don’t mind it.  Might as well see what we’ve got against the Hawks right away.  It’s likely the Wings will lose in the 1st rd this year, but if they get the Hawks and do somehow win, who knows.  Might be just what they need.  If they get in.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/07/13 at 09:26 PM ET

If they get in.

Yeah, that’s a much bigger worry than matchups right now…

Posted by Garth on 04/07/13 at 10:04 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

the Blackhawks would wipe the floor with us in the playoffs.

how can you say “see what we’ve got against the Hawks?”

they’re 3-for-3 against us, with one of them being a 7-1 drubbing.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/08/13 at 02:31 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

My Kingdom for a Bowman!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/08/13 at 07:17 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

the Blackhawks would wipe the floor with us in the playoffs.

how can you say “see what we’ve got against the Hawks?”

they’re 3-for-3 against us, with one of them being a 7-1 drubbing.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/08/13 at 03:31 AM ET

Playoffs are a different animal, and Chicago has 2 VERY unproven goalies when it comes to playoffs.  And yes, one of them was a 7-1 drubbing, but one was also a 2-1 shootout loss which woulda been a 1-0 shutout win if not for a late penalty.

And who cares anyway if it’s 1st rd or not.  Gonna have to face Chicago at some point in the playoffs, so yes, we might as well see what we’ve got against the Hawks.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/08/13 at 10:04 AM ET

wedge56's avatar

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one upset with the officiating.  I don’t think their compete level is low.  I think they need to go three consecutive games without putting a guy on IR.  It’s got to be disheartening.

I have no problems playing giant killer to the Blackhawks in the first round.

Posted by wedge56 on 04/08/13 at 10:35 AM ET

StlBlues21's avatar

First off, it was CHRIS Porter who scored not Kevin.. Also Zetterberg deserved the penalty for roughing, he was hitting Perron in the head. Kronwall admitted he made a stupid mistake covering the puck with his whole hand, and i agree the end of the game holding it in the corners is stupid and needs to change.

Posted by StlBlues21 on 04/08/13 at 02:02 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m sorry about the typo regarding Chris Porter, but I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree about Perron’s stick-holding.

In my opinion—and it’s just a fan’s biased opinion—Perron wrapped his arms and legs around that stick like it was an alligator wrapping its arms and legs around prey attempting to wrestle it into a death roll, and the ref sort of stood there as Zetterberg became angrier and angrier.

Ditto for Pietrangelo sitting on the puck for the last 12 seconds of the game, which, in most instances, is supposed to be called as a “delay of game” penalty, or at least blown dead, not casually observed as a football play on ice.

What are the rules regarding laying on the puck—which generally involves scooping the puck up with one’s hand and stuffing it under one’s body—as opposed to the shovel-it-under-the-body explicit hand-grab by Kronwall that was called? Is it, “If the ref doesn’t see it, it’s not a call,’ or is there some sort of rule about “cupping” the puck with a hand laid vertically as opposed to the horizontal hand-touch, which is now illegal in almost all circumstances?

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/08/13 at 02:28 PM ET

Two?  Because one of their “VERY unproven” goalies has backstopped a team to the Stanley Cup Finals.  If that’s unproven, then I’m not sure what Jimmy Howard is.

And aside from goaltending, they have a much better defense and much better offense.

Posted by Garth on 04/08/13 at 10:02 PM ET

StlBlues21's avatar

The puck covering thing i think is all discretionary from how visible it and its supposed to be if you cover the whole puck with your hand to where its not visible on ice.  And like i said i think Perron should have gotten extra instigation or misconduct penalty for that ha.

Posted by StlBlues21 on 04/08/13 at 11:21 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I am not entirely confident that Danny Cleary was able to cleanly accept a pass all game.  Every time I noticed him, he had a pass bounce off his stick and out of reach.  Most resulted in turnovers.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/09/13 at 10:09 AM ET