The Malik Report

Red Wings-Blue Jackets quick take: progress made…except for Colaiacovo getting hurt

I'll write up something momentarily, but...Do we call this progress? The Detroit Red Wings edged the Columbus Blue Jackets 4-3 in a shootout, but the Wings also went 0-for-7 on special teams, gave up 2 power play goals, surrendered a 2-1 lead...

And when Carlo Colaiacovo's shoulder hit the glass on a heavy, heavy check, he dropped his left glove and headed for the locker room looking like he'd separated his shoulder, leaving Wings fans hoping that Brian Lashoff's first goal wasn't an anomaly, and that Jonathan Ericsson gets healthy in a hurry.

Was this progress? What do you think?

Here's Lashoff's first NHL goal...He's the 126th Griffin to score an NHL goal.

Update: According to Fox Sports Detroit's John Keating, the Wings will reassess the statuses of both Jonathan Ericsson (shoulder) and Jakub Kindl (groin) in the morning. No word about Colaiacovo yet.

Update #2: Rut roh:

Update #3: Here's Brunner's shootout winner...

And here's Datsyuk's goal:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Having a forward besides Datsyuk put the puck in the net to end the game… There’s hope.  The special teams can go nowhere but up, right?  Some combination of players has to work…

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 01/21/13 at 10:41 PM ET

Crow's avatar

A win after Saturday’s debacle is definitely progress.

Posted by Crow on 01/21/13 at 10:47 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Well ... Lashoff was a bright spot ... hitting iron 4 times in the first period was a sign that they were at least getting shots off.

Beating Columbus in a shootout isn’t anything to get excited over but it is a step forward.

Colaiacovo separates a shoulder but Helmer & Bert are coming back ... we’ll see what happens the next few games.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 01/21/13 at 11:10 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I-96 may be a well travelled route for the Wings, but that might pay dividends in a year where having multiple “overripe” Griffins is a useful reserve in the “year of the tweaked groin”. Thanks for the highlights, since I couldn’t watch the game tonight. The Wings will have to adjust to each other on the fly. I still have concerns that they couldn’t have an exhibition season with the veterans they lost and the new special teams coach, but I know they can improve—again, the question is whether they have enough time. Regardless, a win is a win. If Brunner can pick up some pointers from playing with Datsyuk (and hopefully already from Zetterberg), this line certainly has potential.

Posted by Bugsy on 01/21/13 at 11:14 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

I tell you what is REALLY scary:
Thomas Mccollum on the bench backing up Jimmah.
Mccollum is not NHL material.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 11:18 PM ET

Progress??? We barely beat the Blue Jackets…....the Blue Jackets

Posted by jmiller on 01/21/13 at 11:33 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

I tell you what is REALLY scary:
Thomas Mccollum on the bench backing up Jimmah.
Mccollum is not NHL material.

Posted by w2j2 on 01/21/13 at 11:18 PM ET

It would’ve been so much more awesome to have Bubrub-sky backing up Jimmy than starting in Columbus. Oh well.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 01/21/13 at 11:35 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Progress??? We barely beat the Blue Jackets…....the Blue Jackets

Posted by jmiller on 01/21/13 at 11:33 PM ET

This team’s barely been assembled a week…....  a week. 42 shots tonight is a start, organizing the special teams is the next step.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 01/21/13 at 11:36 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

The BJ’s aren’t as bad as people think. Getting rid of Nash might have helped them. And if Mason has a good year.. Watch out for Him and Sergei B.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/21/13 at 11:46 PM ET

WTF?

Posted by jmiller on 01/22/13 at 12:51 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

It’s true JMil, Jackets are a blue collar team, workers and gritty.  If they get good goaltending they can actually get somewhere.

Game still had some sloppy points.  Quincey’s painful to watch, even worse in person.  Lashoff and Smith were excellent.  Our forwards all committed to the system.  All in all it was a good step forward, now they have to build on that.

I’m going to take credit for Brunner’s shootout goal.  I was the only person screamin’ him on and I wasn’t that far away from him.  I know he felt the power of the 19, or maybe the 13 watching the highlight.

Good to get 2 points under our belt

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 02:06 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

A well-reasoned and articulate response to the idea that the Blue Jackets are a better team than people think.  I enjoyed the brevity.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/22/13 at 08:43 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Do we call this progress?

From an effort stand-point - - most definitely.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 01/22/13 at 09:30 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by RorSchach on 01/21/13 at 11:46 PM ET

I don’t think the Jackets are going to be world beaters this year, but I think they were suffering from the “Patrick Ewing Syndrome” under the Nash regime.  I thought the team already looked better without him over their first two games.  Losing Nash finally put the Jackets in a position where the only place to go is up.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/22/13 at 10:03 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I think you nailed is Bez.  Thought the same thing.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/22/13 at 10:33 AM ET

awould's avatar

Brunner has a bright future. Some kinks to work out, but good. Lashoff too.

Posted by awould on 01/22/13 at 11:26 AM ET