The Malik Report

Red Wings at the World Championship: Larkin plays well, Nyquist scores OT winner

Pavel Datsyuk and Russia have yet to play (vs. the Czechs at 1:15 PM EDT), but two other Red Wings players have completed their days at the World Championship.

Dylan Larkin played very, very well on a line with Marcus Foligno and Frank Vatrano, earning significant even-strength, PP and PK minutes over the course of Team USA's rust-filled 5-1 loss to Canada.

While Larkin didn't register any points, he looked speedy, aggressive and assertive in all 3 zones, essentially playing on the Americans' top line as Team USA has iced a very, very young team for which winning isn't necessarily the first priority.

Larkin had 3 shots and played 19:55, finishing "even."

Gustav Nyquist scored the OT winner in Sweden's 2-1 OT win over Latvia. He played very well, skating up the ice with authority, winning most of the puck battles he engaged in and "freelancing" on the power play as a forward/defenseman, and he was able to get in on the Latvian defense for a 2-on-0 in OT.

Nyquist took 5 shots, finished at +1 and played 22:21.

Update: MLive's Brendan Savage confirms...

Gustav Nyquist's overtime goal Friday gave Sweden a 2-1 victory over Latvia on the opening day of the World Championship in Russia.

The Detroit Red Wings forward scored 4:06 into OT with Alexander Wennberg of the Columbus Blue Jackets drawing the only assist.

Nyquist's goal came on the eve of his namesake running in the Kentucky Derby. Nyquist the horse is a 3-1 favorite to win the Derby.

As does the Free Press's Helene St. James:

Gustav Nyquist has done at the international level what he struggled to do for the Detroit Red Wings.

Nyquist scored in overtime today, leading Sweden past Latvia, 2-1, in a preliminary world championship game in St. Petersburg, Russia.

It wasn't as fun of a day for Wings teammate Dylan Larkin, whose U.S. squad got hammered by Canada, 5-1.

Other Wings get into action later today: Russia (Pavel Datsyuk and Alexey Marchenko) faces the Czechs, and Finland (Teemu Pulkkinen) faces Belarus.

Sure, it was only a prelim game -- and Latvia hardly is a hockey power -- but the preliminary round determines who moves on to play for a medal. (There are two groups each of eight, each team plays seven preliminary games, and the top four teams in each group advance to the knockout round.)

Update #2: The IIHF posted clips of the Sweden-Latvia game...

And the USA-Canada game:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

Sorry Red Wing fans have to cheer for Canada but also (wow) Larkin, Goose, Tats,etc

Should be interesting how I can do that.  Good to see Larkin play just under 20 Mins, no Blashill I guess. And I will Goose credit for finally finding the back of the net, no Blashill I guess.

Rust filled excuse, GM??? Excuses excuses, LOL

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 05/06/16 at 11:52 AM ET

How do you allow 2 on goalie in OT? Is it 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 by the way?

Posted by VPalmer on 05/06/16 at 11:52 AM ET

Crazy what happens when you have chemistry with your linemate.

Posted by Garth on 05/06/16 at 12:02 PM ET

Crazy what happens when you have chemistry with your linemate.

Let’s not overboard here, it was 2 on goal breakaway:)

Posted by VPalmer on 05/06/16 at 12:12 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 05/06/16 at 12:12 PM ET

I didn’t watch the game so I take back my Credit to Goose. At least he scored, I guess! Baby step!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 05/06/16 at 12:19 PM ET

Let’s not overboard here, it was 2 on goal breakaway:)

True, but how many of those plays did Nyquist and Tatar combine for?

Posted by Garth on 05/06/16 at 12:37 PM ET

SnarkinLarkin's avatar

No, Goose does deserve credit here. Watch the second video - he creates the sequence by stealing the puck and finishing a nice give and go.

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 05/06/16 at 12:52 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

These guy rock it when playing international hockey. Maybe the Wings should move over there. Or maybe Tick Tock should

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/06/16 at 01:57 PM ET

moocat's avatar

Who’s Nyquist? I thought Nyquist was a horse; because I don’t remember seeing a Nyquist do anything for the Wings last year on the ice…

Posted by moocat on 05/06/16 at 01:59 PM ET