The Malik Report

Red Wings are witnessing Brendan Smith slowly mature thanks to Kyle Quincey’s mentoring

As noted in the game-day update thread, Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith didn't make the brightest comments about the liberties the Blackhawks have been taking while speaking to MLive's Ansar Khan after today's morning skate, but Smith has slowly but surely settled down in terms of his on-ice demeanor, playing more consistently and making fewer mistakes while skating alongside Kyle Quincey (though the pair remains something of an "adventure" on ice).

The Detroit News's Ted Kulfan found that Wings coach Mike Babcock has taken note of the fact that Smith's settled down, at least somewhat, and #2's poise has translated into more ice time...

Defenseman Brendan Smith is averaging 19 minutes of ice time during the playoffs, something that will only help in the future.

"Just the experience is an important thing," coach Mike Babcock said. "What I like about Smitty is he knows we think he's a good player, so when he makes mistakes, and you talk to him about it, it's not the end of the world.

"He's an ultra competitive guy and when he makes a mistake, he's usually trying to make a play rather than guys out there hiding and doesn't want the puck. He's not one of them. He's going to get better and better."

But Babcock also told NHL.com's Corey Masisak that he's not sure whether the 24-year-old will live up to his billing as Niklas Kronwall's supposed successor:

"I think he's going to get better and better. I don't know if he's ever going to have ... I think he's going to support the rush and he's going to score like that. I don't see him being a visionary on the blue line and being the top guy on your power play or something like that, but only time will tell."

Smith didn't earn regular ice time until this past season, which was a season or two longer than most fans felt that it'd take for Smith to play at the NHL level, and Smith told Masisak that he'd expected his status as the 27th overall pick in the 2007 Entry Draft to yield a shorter path to the NHL...

"Not when I was drafted -- I didn't think it would take this long," Smith said of reaching the NHL. "As you look around, any Red Wing or a lot of the Red Wings in here, it has taken time for them to get here. That's just how the Red Wings have done it for so long. It has worked for them, and it has continued to work. It was something that I didn't see coming at first, but it has worked for me and I'm here now and definitely excited."

But Smith's defensive partner--who, like Carlo Colaiacovo, is at least doing a solid job of redeeming his present and future with the team (you don't hear as many Wings fans suggesting that the surprisingly steady "Coco" or a more reliable and more vocal Quincey should be bought out or traded)--suggests that Smith should've expected to spend two-plus seasons with the Grand Rapids Griffins because that's simply what the Wings do with their prospects (cue they, "They make them earn their spots" line):

"We're definitely different than other organizations," Detroit defenseman Kyle Quincey said. "I don't think Kenny [Holland, general manager] feels any pressure or panic in that way. The formula obviously works, and I'm a big believer in what they do here. Being through it, you enjoy it and appreciate even more when you get up here knowing what's down below and how hard you had to work to get here. You definitely cherish it a little more, and that's invaluable. Guys all the way through our lineup played in the American league and that is a huge tool and they use it well."

For the present moment, the Quincey-Smith pairing remains something of a work in progress, but Quincey's both mentoring Smith and is being forced to play a simpler, steadier and more stay-at-home-style game (and Quincey's earned some power play time lately, too) thanks to Smith's...adventurous...offensive forays, and Quincey told Masisak that he's happy to see Smith slowly but steadily settle down as Babcock tagged Quincey with the task of taming a defenseman who's prone to making high-risk gambles:

"I think we complement each other really well," Quincey said. "He's a really good skater and likes to carry the puck up the ice, and I like to watch him. [Babcock] gave me that role from Day 1 in training camp to try and help him come along, and it is just fun watching him develop as a player. He's going to get better and better. I don't think he's anywhere near where he can be. He's got all the tools.

"It is all the little things that I've learned over my years. I didn't learn it all my first year. It took me six, seven years to feel like I learned. Each game, something new comes up and it is a learning experience for both of us. It is fun."

"I think we work well together," Smith said of the pairing with Quincey. "We have a really good communication level and we feed off each other, which is a big thing. We use both of our strengths to our advantage. He's very vocal and he's got very positioning. He helps me out with things I haven't seen before."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

Sarcastic comment in 3….2….1….

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/27/13 at 02:55 PM ET

He seems to be getting more ice time than Kindl. Which isn’t right.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 05/27/13 at 02:58 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’ll just say: thanks George, we needed a laugh here a few hours before gametime.

Posted by Primis on 05/27/13 at 03:05 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I should point out, I’m not laughing at Smith.  I’m laughing at the idea of Quincey as a mentor.  Because holeeeee is that a funny one.

I personally think Quincey’s presence has made it more difficult for Smith to grow, because Smith can’t just worry about himself and keeps having to worry about bailing Quincey out too.

Posted by Primis on 05/27/13 at 03:07 PM ET

I think Quincey is the one who makes Smith look bad.  I can’t count how many times I see Quincey use Smith to bail him out or put Smitty in a bad spot to get the puck.  Nice puff piece though

Posted by bababooey on 05/27/13 at 03:29 PM ET

Sweet Jesus's avatar

I had no issue with what Smith said about the ‘Hawks.  He was right.  I would have had an issue with it if he had said it to the refs on the ice, like a certain Captain Pork Chop we all know and ... we all know.

There’s a difference between simply verbalizing what everyone with 2 working brain cells and 1 working eye can see (the ‘Hawks are trying to antagonize the Wings into taking retaliation penalties after the whistle) and complaining to the refs in a way that antagonizes them.  As long as Smith doesn’t do the latter, I have no problem with him.

And I’ll leave the Q thing alone.  zipper

Posted by Sweet Jesus on 05/27/13 at 03:30 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I had no issue with what Smith said about the ‘Hawks.  He was right.

Agreed. Also, I’m not even sure he was talking about Chicago.

“I don’t think it frustrates anybody in here. We want to hold our ground. They’re trying to be pesty and whatnot. If you let them get under your skin then they’ve won. You see them hacking and slashing after the whistle. … You see guys like (Henrik) Zetterberg getting slashed after the whistle by (Jonathan) Toews. It doesn’t affect him. He comes out even better. These guys have been around the league so long, we feed off that for sure.’‘

He’s talking about the Red Wings’ maturity (even if opposed to Chicago’s dumbness, but still).

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 05/27/13 at 03:39 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

This summer he needs to get stronger. His slapshot needs a lot of improvement and his hitting has decreased it seems to me since he came up steadily. NHL sized men wearing him down.
He’s going to be good no doubt about it just depends on how much he is willing to put into his craft in the coming years.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 05/27/13 at 04:46 PM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

Good for Quincey! (while I am spitting out Crow Feathers) LOL

Never imagined I would see that headline but it is true actually!!  It has been a weird roller coaster ride this year.  Why stop now!?!?

Posted by OnlyWings on 05/27/13 at 05:03 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

I guess I’m late to the party but really NO ONE else read George’s headline as “Brendan Smith would likely have matured much more quickly with anybody-but-Quincey”?

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 05/27/13 at 05:28 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

...Quincey said. “He’s a really good skater and likes to carry the puck up the ice, and I like to watch him….

Uh… shouldn’t you be doing something other than watching?

Posted by SandysWingingit on 05/27/13 at 07:07 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I assumed Chief wrote this headline. Not a joke, I guess.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/27/13 at 09:03 PM ET

El Gringo's avatar

Smith may be improving, but he still has a ways to go in terms of puck management and awareness of positional play.  Puck management, however, is a consistent issue with D corp so it shouldn’t be surprising.  I can’t recall a game where some D man hasn’t made a poor pass in his own zone that did or easily could have led to a goal.  For some reason, these past 20 games or so, these mistakes (which are fewer) have not killed games for Detroit like they did back in January through March.  I think part of the improvement is the forwards having a better sense of when they can break out on the transition and when they need to stay pat and offer a bit more puck support.  Its essential for the forwards to hang a back a bit because the Wing’s D often has trouble behind the goal line when pressured.  Anyway, so long as Smith learns to first focus on defence before, he should turn out to be a good 2nd line Dman.

Posted by El Gringo on 05/28/13 at 04:49 AM ET