The Malik Report

Quincey Signs For $7.55M For Two-Years

Updated 2x at 4:02 PM: Paul for George who is running a marathon today, ha….

Ansar Khan tells us Quincey and the Wings have found common ground,

The Detroit Red Wings have signed defenseman Kyle Quincey to a two-year, $7.55 million contract, avoiding an arbitration hearing scheduled for next week.
Quincey, who earned $3.125 million in 2011-12, will make $3.55 million in 2012-13 and $4 million in 2013-14, for a salary-cap hit of $3.775 million.

Detroit, MI...The Detroit Red Wings today announced that free agent defenseman Kyly Quincey has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the team. In accordance with club policy, additional terms of the deal will not be disclosed.

“We’re very pleased to agree to terms with Kyle and avoid arbitration,” says Executive Vice President and General Manager Ken Holland.  “We drafted Kyle in 2003, watched him develop into a solid NHL defenseman and look forward to having him in a Detroit uniform for the next two seasons.”

Update from George: The Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness confirms…

Wings general manager Ken Holland was right when he said he was close to getting a deal done with restricted free agent defensemen Kyle Quincey.

Both sides agreed to a two-year deal to remain with the team worth $7.55 million over the term of the deal, which is an average salary hit of $3.775 million.

Quincey filed for arbitration and his hearing was scheduled for July 25.

Quincey, 26, made $3.25 million a year ago and the Wings were hoping to get him at a modest raise.

If the defenseman had inked a one-year deal he would have become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

As does the Free Press’s Helene St. James:

Update #2: Here’s Helene St. James’ article, via RedWingsFeed:

The Red Wings have come to an agreement with Kyle Quincey a week before an arbitration hearing was scheduled.

Quincey has agreed to a two-year deal worth $7.55 million, a source has told the Detroit Free Press.

The deal takes Quincey, 26, a year into potential unrestricted free agency. The Wings acquired him in February in a trade from Colorado via Tampa Bay. Quincey was brought in partly to offset the likelihood of Nicklas Lidstrom retiring, and Brad Stuart leaving to play closer to his family in San Jose, Calif. (he was traded to San Jose in June, and signed by the Sharks).

The Wings see Quincey as top-four material, someone who can help on the power play and penalty kill. He had a rough transition in spring, but hopes are he rebounds after being with the team from camp next season.

Here’s the Detroit News’s Gregg Krupa’s report/article…

The Red Wings helped shore up their corps of defensemen Wednesday, signing the five-year veteran Kyle Quincey to a two-year deal worth about $7.5 million. Quincey, who turns 27 in next month, was the 132nd pick overall in the 2003 draft by the Red Wings. But they lost him on waivers to the Kings in 2008. After stops in Los Angeles and Colorado, he was traded briefly to the Lightning and then to the Red Wings, both on Feb. 21.

He had a bit of an uneven season with the Wings. Thrown into a lineup riddled with injuries and asked to play various roles, it was a challenging re-entry for the native of Kitchener, Ontario. But, with the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom and the trade of Brad Stuart to the Sharks, Quincey’s role is all the more crucial, this season. He may well play on both the power play and the penalty kill.

An arbitration award to Quincey might have resulted in him being an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2012-13 season.

Ken Holland, the Wings’ executive vice-president and general manager, told The Detroit News on Tuesday that the deal was close, and a two-year contract that avoided arbitration was in the best interests of the Red Wings and Quincey.

In 257 career games, Quincey has 18 goals, 77 assists and 250 penalty minutes.

Here’s MLive’s Ansar Khan’s article...

Quincey, 26, had a goal and two assists, along with an even plus-minus rating, in 18 games for the Red Wings last season, after being acquired from the Tampa Bay Lightning, as part of a three-way deal with the Colorado Avalanche, for a first-round draft pick. He had two assists and a minus-2 rating in five playoff games against Nashville.

Quincey struggled to find his comfort level in Detroit, the team that drafted him in 2003 (132nd overall in the fourth round) and where he played briefly over parts of three seasons before being claimed on waivers in 2008 by the Los Angeles Kings.

The Red Wings are hoping he will settle down and not press as much following a full training camp. He has good size (6-foot-2, 207), plays a gritty game and can move the puck. He can log a lot of minutes and play in all situations.

The Red Wings still need to sign restricted free-agent forward Justin Abdelkader, who did not file for arbitration. General manager Ken Holland said it is just a matter of time before they get a deal done.

TSN is confirming...

Defenceman Kyle Quincey and the Detroit Red Wings came to an agreement on a new two-year, $7.55 million contract on Wednesday, thus avoiding a salary arbitration hearing.

The team and player were scheduled to go before an arbitrator on July 25.

Quincey will earn $3.55 million in the first year of the deal, and $4 million in the second. He earned $3.25 million last season.

The 26-year-old from Kitchener, Ontario had seven goals and 19 assists in 72 games for Detroit last season. He has also played for the Los Angeles Kings and Colorado Avalanche over his seven NHL seasons.

Quincey becomes the eighth player to settle with his team before the arbitration hearing period. Sam Gagner of the Edmonton Oilers and T.J. Oshie of the St. Louis Blues are scheduled to have the first hearings of the summer on Friday.

Michigan Hockey’s Michael Caples is confirming…

The Red Wings announced via their official Twitter account today that they have re-signed defenseman Kyle Quincey for two seasons.

Quincey, 26, was reacquired by the Red Wings from the Colorado Avalanche on Feb. 21 during a three-team trade that saw Detroit unload their 2012 first-round pick. The Lightning received the Wings’ draft pick, while the Avalanche received forward Steve Downie.

With the Red Wings the remainder of the season, Quincey had two goals and one assist in 18 regular-season games. During Detroit’s shortlived playoff campaign, Quincey had two assists in five games, along with a minus-two rating.

In 257 total games, Quincey has 18 goals and 77 assists, for 95 points. He is also minus-five in his career.

And here’s the Wings’ full press release:

QUINCEY AGREES TO TERMS ON TWO-YEAR CONTRACT WITH WINGS

… Defenseman has Appeared in 257 Career NHL Games for Detroit , Colorado and L.A. …

Detroit, MI…The Detroit Red Wings today announced that free agent defenseman Kyly Quincey has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the team. In accordance with club policy, additional terms of the deal will not be disclosed.

Originally selected by Detroit in the fourth round (132nd overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Quincey has tallied 95 points (18G-77A) in 257 career games played for the Red Wings, Kings and Avalanche. Re-acquired by the Red Wings last season in a three-team deal with Colorado and Tampa Bay, Quincey appeared in 72 total games for the Red Wings and Avalanche, finishing with 7G-19A-26P in addition to 89 penalty minutes and 168 shots on goal.

Kyle Quincey

Defense

Born Aug 12 1985 —Kitchener, ONT

Height 6.02—Weight 206—Shoots L

Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 4 #132 overall 2003 NHL Entry Draft

—- Regular Season—- ——Playoffs——

Season   Team                 Lge   GP   G   A Pts PIM GP   G   A Pts PIM

———————————————————————————————————————————

2000-01 Brampton Capitals       OPJHL   2   0   0   0   0

2001-02 Mississauga Chargers     OPJHL 27   5   14   19   31

2002-03 London Knights         OHL   66   6   12   18   77 14   3   4   7 11

2003-04 London Knights         OHL   3   0   2   2   4 —————

2003-04 Mississauga IceDogs       OHL   61   14   23   37 135 24   3 13 16 32

2004-05 Mississauga IceDogs       OHL   59   15   31   46 111   5   0   3   3   4

2005-06 Grand Rapids Griffins     AHL   70   7   26   33 107 16   0   1   1 27

2005-06 Detroit Red Wings       NHL   1   0   0   0   0 —————

2006-07 Grand Rapids Griffins     AHL   65   4   18   22 126   2   0   0   0   0

2006-07 Detroit Red Wings       NHL   6   1   0   1   0 13   0   0   0   2

2007-08 Detroit Red Wings       NHL   6   0   0   0   4 —————

2007-08 Grand Rapids Griffins     AHL   66   5   15   20 149 —————

2008-09 Los Angeles Kings       NHL   72   4   34   38   63 —————

2009-10 Colorado Avalanche       NHL   79   6   23   29   76   6   0   0   0   8

2010-11 Colorado Avalanche       NHL   21   0   1   1   18 —————

2011-12 Colorado Avalanche       NHL   54   5   18   23   60 —————

2011-12 Detroit Red Wings       NHL   18   2   1   3   29   5   0   2   2   6

———————————————————————————————————————————

NHL Totals                 257   18   77   95 250 24   0   2   2 16

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

awould's avatar

I’m ok with this. Figured he’d actually get a bigger raise just because, you know, because.

Posted by awould on 07/18/12 at 05:45 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

I’ll take it.  Nothing to grin about, but nothing to grimace about either.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/18/12 at 05:46 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Nothing like compounding your mistakes.  At least its only for 2 years.  Can’t wait to see what bad habits he teaches Smith during that time if they become the 3rd pairing.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/18/12 at 05:46 PM ET

Nothing like compounding your mistakes.

You’re right.  And I noticed that in his 14 games as a Red Wing, Brendan Smith wasn’t immediately the heir apparent to Nick Lidstrom, so they should probably get rid of him too before all their mistakes start snowballing and the teeam is forced to fold out of embarassment.

Posted by Garth on 07/18/12 at 05:50 PM ET

Ataris18's avatar

I’ll be the dumb one but can we let the guy go through 30 games before we panic and state he’s the worst defender ever?  It’s been a tough Off-season for us and I don’t think I can keep up with the doom and gloom.  I’m excited to see what our D can do. I know we have holes but I don’t want to pay 4million+ to anyone who is available right now, so I’m ok seeing what our 6 can do.

Posted by Ataris18 from Tucson, AZ on 07/18/12 at 05:54 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Ataris18 from Tucson, AZ on 07/18/12 at 03:54 PM ET

This^^^^^^

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/18/12 at 05:56 PM ET

Ermegerd. This is awful. I actually thought it was great having him back, but he looked terrible. Took terrible penalties too.

What about Campoli, Kubina or Roszival? Isn’t Foster a UFA?

Here’s hoping I’m wrong and he is rock solid with 40+ points, but I dont think thats realistic.

Posted by Callmedrw on 07/18/12 at 05:58 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Fine by me. Just glad arbitration was avoided. That can be a really messy situation.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/18/12 at 05:58 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Ataris18 from Tucson, AZ on 07/18/12 at 03:54 PM ET

I’d still like to see the Wings add one more, but I more or less agree with this.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/18/12 at 05:59 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I’m curious as hell to see how they line up, actually.  All I know for sure is Kronwall is no. 1.  Do you pair him with Ericcsson?  Ok, now what?  Is Smith second pairing?

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/18/12 at 06:00 PM ET

On the bright side, we haven’t had to listen to everyone complain about how terrible Ericsson is since we signed Quincey.

Posted by sabby on 07/18/12 at 06:03 PM ET

Ataris18's avatar

I think we need a 7th dmen yes, but that salary should be 1.25 mill max. I’m ok with signing a vet for 3 mill or less (moving our 7th to kindl) but whats out there now isn’t anything special.

As far as line up I am very curious to see who gets with Kronwall. I’d love to see them throw smith to the wolves and have it Kron/Smith White/Quincy Ericsson/Kindl.  I think kindl had times when he played very well. But then there were those turn overs that you just look at him and ask “WTF?”.

Posted by Ataris18 from Tucson, AZ on 07/18/12 at 06:06 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

It’s remotely possible that we haven’t heard that since the playoffs ... perhaps because, well, he seemed better in the playoffs.  does this mean he will finally ‘get it.’?  Boy, I sure hope so.  I remember feeling like it would take Jiri Fischer forever to emerge from his mistakes, but before his retirement he was becoming much much better.  Let’s hope E can do the same.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/18/12 at 06:07 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

What about Campoli, Kubina or Roszival? Isn’t Foster a UFA?

Posted by Callmedrw on 07/18/12 at 03:58 PM ET

You’re joking, right?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/18/12 at 06:07 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Well considering that would have made him the leader in scoring among defensemen for Red Wings players last season, at least you’re not hoping for too much out of a guy signed to play 2nd pair, 2nd PP, and 2nd PK minutes.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/18/12 at 06:09 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by sabby on 07/18/12 at 04:03 PM ET

Nice!  I have never been an Ericsson fan, but admitably I was surprised at his performance over the ‘11-‘12 season.  Quincey may be able to settle down a bit this season, which could help - I have a feeling he was a bit nervous when he came in the Spring.  He put up pretty decent numbers with the Avs last year.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/18/12 at 06:10 PM ET

awould's avatar

A Kindl/Ericsson pairing scares the crap out of me and Jimmy Howard.

Posted by awould on 07/18/12 at 06:31 PM ET

Ataris18's avatar

A Kindl/Ericsson pairing scares the crap out of me and Jimmy Howard.

Feel free to change it smile I just want to get Smith more than 3rd line minutes.  So if he’s with kron then do we go Ericsson/white or Quincey/Ericsson for number 2?

Posted by Ataris18 from Tucson, AZ on 07/18/12 at 06:36 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Not thrilled, but considering how this off-season has played out it’s about as good as we can expect.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/18/12 at 06:37 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by Ataris18 from Tucson, AZ on 07/18/12 at 03:54 PM ET

Phooey on you and your rational thinking.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 07/18/12 at 06:39 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

A Kindl/Ericsson pairing scares the crap out of me and Jimmy Howard.

Posted by awould on 07/18/12 at 04:31 PM ET

Forgot Sammy was back…

PP to start season:
1 - Kronwall-Sammy
2 - Quincey-Smith

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/18/12 at 06:40 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Clearly, giving up a first rounder for a player who has had 4 full medicore NHL seasons and several more as a pro, not to mention a disastrous turn on the international stage, and then throwing more money at him so he can continue his mediocrity, and possibly pass that on to your highly touted rookie is the way to go.

I stand corrected.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/18/12 at 06:48 PM ET

I actually have no problem with the amount given it’s only 2 years.  Quincey is still young, turning only 27 next month.  Yes, he had trouble acclimating back into the Wings’ system but he played well enough with both the Kings and the Avs that to expect him to be better next year then he was this spring isn’t that big of a stretch.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 07/18/12 at 06:51 PM ET

Sammy is not D.

Posted by teldar on 07/18/12 at 06:58 PM ET

Are you thinking Lilja?

Posted by teldar on 07/18/12 at 07:00 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Sammy is not D.

Posted by teldar on 07/18/12 at 04:58 PM ET

Indeed, but he will likely be on the blue line for the first power play unit to start the season.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/18/12 at 07:00 PM ET

The signing is fine. Without the Q trade we would have four NHL defensemen under contract. It was the smart move to make. If Q gets back to playing the way he did with the Avs, we will be fine.

Posted by Jay on 07/18/12 at 07:08 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Sammy is not D.
Posted by teldar on 07/18/12 at 04:58 PM ET
Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/18/12 at 05:00 PM ET

I think it’s fair to assume this will be happening, especially since the PP needs just a liiiiitle bit of attention.  It didn’t work too well with Modano and Hudler playing the point on the PP at various times over the past two seasons, but Sammy does like to shoot.

Speaking of the PP, I’m anxious to see what Renney brings to the table.  Been watching Oil Change a lot recently, and I can’t wait to see him behind the bench.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/18/12 at 07:10 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 07/18/12 at 04:48 PM ET

$3.775M for a 27 year-old 2nd pairing D in this market and you’re complaining?  He’s not gonna be a top-pairing guy, but he’s not being paid like one either.  He’s not making $5M, or even $4.5M.  HelI, his cap hit is below $4M!

As for mediocrity, a young D-man who puts up 0.37 PPG is alright by me.  Kronwall in his first 5 seasons in the NHL was only 0.39 PPG.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 07/18/12 at 07:14 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 07/18/12 at 04:48 PM ET

Mediocrity does not score in the top 1/3rd in the league at his position in his first two seasons.

Also, I’m a bit hazy on your definition of “full” seasons while we’re using words.  I mean, I wouldn’t even call 1 point in 21 games mediocre even. I’d say that’s worse than mediocre, but I also wouldn’t call that a “full” season.

Nor would I call being a +3 in 6 games while being 7th for TOI/G among D-Men for Team Canada a “disastrous turn on the international stage.”

But yeah, I guess Kyle Quincey might accidentally teach Brendan Smith how to play 20+ minutes per night against mid-level competition while beating his competition in puck possession metrics.  That would certainly be a .... concern?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/18/12 at 07:15 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Oh also, in his most-recent “full” season, Quincey was again in the top 1/3rd of the league for defensive scoring.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/18/12 at 07:20 PM ET

Sheesh, can we at least wait to pass judgment until after he goes through camp and gets some games in? Seems like a reasonable price tag for what they’re getting IMO.

Posted by RyanVM on 07/18/12 at 07:40 PM ET

My guess:
Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-White
Smith-Kindl

I’m cool with this, too, Leo.  Definitely also seeing Sammy on the second unit PP…unless, Renney gets creative.  Like putting E on the second unit PP and asking him to quarterback that unit.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/18/12 at 08:57 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I’d love to see Commodore brought back (if he’d sign again) to play with someone on the bottom pairing…

... of course, now he’d HAVE to wear 64…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/18/12 at 11:57 PM ET

It somewhat ridiculous how fans have jumped on Quincey. Q got a bad rap last season for things that weren’t under his control.

He came to Detroit and the defense suddenly was forced to play Janik and Smith because of injuries not to mention Chris Conner, Nyquist, and Riley Sheahan being added to the forwards plus Conklin being waived and were forced to go with Joey Mac. Q played on the PP and PK.

Going to 3rd string G, # 7,8,9 d-men, and #15 forward. Moving Q up to having to eat minutes against opponents #1 and #2 lines and suddenly it was Q’s fault. Nice scapegoating.

Posted by dca from in Mich on 07/19/12 at 12:18 AM ET

giving up a first rounder for a player who has had 4 full medicore NHL seasons

Well, he had 38 points, 29 points, an injury shortened year and was on pace for about 35 before he was traded.

Nobody’s saying that he’s Nick Lidstrom 2: The Quickening, but for a top four guy that’s not bad.

Or consider than in his first full year in the NHL he had as many points as Jonathan Ericsson has had in three full years in the NHL.

Horrible, horrible moronic signing for a team that had five defensemen.  They should absolutely give up on him after a quarter of a season instead of allowing him the courtesy of attending a camp with a full team, playing with a regular partner in what will be his regular role for the preseason and then playing at least some of the regular season before making any kind of judgement.

Posted by Garth on 07/19/12 at 12:30 AM ET

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 07/18/12 at 09:57 PM ET

That’s not the worst idea I’ve read today.

Posted by Garth on 07/19/12 at 12:32 AM ET