The Malik Report

Quickie post: Howard, U.S. win first Worlds game and live event links

Very briefly: Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard stopped 21 of 23 shots and Justin Abdeklader played pretty darn well in terms of physicality from what I watched of Team USA’s 7-2 win over France in the team’s World Championship opener (via the NBC Sports Network). The game was, however, much closer than the score indicates.

You can check out the rest of the Wings at the Worlds sked here, via MLive’s MLive’s Brendan Savage.

I’m not going to post quick recaps of the games in real time as they occur at all times of the morning/day in the U.S., but I’ll take note of the results and try to get as much Swedish to you as possible…And while the IIHF has “geo-blocked” the U.S. from its live streams, I might suggest that you head to their YouTube channel and check on their “1st venue (Helsinki)” and “2nd venue (Stockholm)” streams and cross your fingers that your IP is not blocked. You never know, you might get lucky…

And while I’m in the promotion business, make sure to take a gander at the overnight report as I did my best to roughly translate interviews with Niklas Kronwall and Pavel Datsyuk, there’s much more Swedish from a very kind TMR reader and articles about Darren Helm and Kyle Quincey popped up this morning.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Abdelkader kinda-sorta dove to give the Americans a power play they scored on, and the Americans scored on another delayed penalty Abdelkader drew, so he was pretty effective beyond just hitting everything that moved.

Posted by bleep bloop on 05/04/12 at 09:37 AM ET

Did Abdelkader play well VS Nashville? Did he deliver in that series? Either I was too busy complaining about Franzen and/or watching Pavel to notice?

Posted by nat from mtl on 05/04/12 at 10:15 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I felt Abdelkader played far better than most of his teammates against NSH. He played a strong, smart, aggressive series. He looked even better when compared to Franzen’s loafing.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/04/12 at 10:56 AM ET

Posted by nat from mtl on 05/04/12 at 11:18 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I honestly didn’t think that Abdelkader or Drew Miller were very effective at all versus Nashville. They had their moments, but like every other Red Wings forward, they struggled to sustain a forechecking presence or break through the Predators’ defensive “boxing out” of every player from the inside of puck battles and the slot in front of Rinne.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/04/12 at 01:46 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/04/12 at 11:46 AM ET

I’m with you, George. Last year Abby was a hitting machine and this year…. nothing. I was thinking maybe he had an injury but it turns out he didn’t. Me thinks he overcompensated this year because last, even though he hit everything in sight, he had some dumb penalties.
Miller I think is a decent regular season guy but he’s too skinny for the playoffs. He needs to eat more burgers!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/04/12 at 02:08 PM ET