The Malik Report

Quickie interviews from Bryan Rufenach Day: Chelios, Downey and Fischer

Hello from Centre Ice Arena, where the Wings’ prospects are warming up prior to their first scrimmage!

I’ve got a couple of interviews to share if you’re interested after the jump…

Nick Barnowski and I spoke to Chris Chelios for a bit…

Download file

I had a good long chat with Aaron Downey about the Wings prospects’ fitness regimens and what it means to get “bigger and stronger”...

Download file

I spoke to Centre Ice Arena’s Anne Hayes about the events at Rufenach Day—hopefully Nick will send me the picture of me dunking Mitchell Callahan from close range, best $20 I’ve ever spent…

Download file

And Jiri Fischer got pretty emotional while speaking about Rufenach.

Download file

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

So how did you corner Chelios?

Posted by Bugsy on 07/10/12 at 09:49 PM ET

By the way, I hope nobody’s going to debate anymore as far as whether we’re getting our money’s wrorth from George, are we? grin

Posted by Bugsy on 07/10/12 at 10:15 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Cheli must be a pretty approachable guy, my dad just got a pic with him a couple months ago outside of Cheli’s restaraunt, just happened to see him.  Pops isnt the kind of guy to go up to someone, Cheli must’ve been pretty approachable for him to do it.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/11/12 at 12:10 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/10/12 at 10:10 PM ET

I’ve run into Cheli on three different occasions over the years, he’s been just like you described every time.  A dude’s dude.

Personal favorite was catching he and Vedder coming out of a suite at Wrigley back in ‘02 following a Cubs game.  Both guys stopped to shake hands and say hello rather than trucking it to the limo.  Eddie got a big kick out of my Old Style fueled introduction to Cheli as being a Detroiter while I practically hugged the dude off the cat-walk for helping bring us a cup.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/11/12 at 12:29 AM ET

To quote George from this morning:
“Per your requests, I’m going to focus much more on speaking to the Wigns’ brass as several of you have asked me to speak to Jiri Fischer, Chris Chelios (good luck with that one, folks, he’s sneaky about getting away from people holding sound recorders),...”

Posted by Bugsy on 07/11/12 at 12:29 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/10/12 at 10:29 PM ET

I’d have lost my mind running into the two of them.  “We’re not worthy! We’re not worthy!”

I could meet the president and be like, sup dude.  Meeting a Red Wing, more-over a HoF’er Red Wing.. I’d lose it like a lil school girl.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/11/12 at 02:28 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Chelios is a WONDERFULLY friendly, approachable, affable and kind man when you do not approach him with a sound recorder. If you have a digital sound recorder in your hand, you become a hive of scum and villainy.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/11/12 at 03:29 AM ET

My brother ran into Chelios at his restaurant a year ago, and he was supremely cool, inviting my brother and his wife to hang out and have some brews. Seems like a consistent theme.

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 07/11/12 at 03:48 AM ET