The Malik Report

Quick question for Red Wings fans: Shark attack or Predator gnashing?

Thanks to the San Jose Sharks’ win over Los Angeles on Monday, the Detroit Red Wings will find out their playoff opponent at the conclusion of the Canucks-Blackhawks game on Tuesday night, with the Wings either traveling to San Jose to face the Sharks (if Vancouver wins) or hosting the Predators (if the Blackhawks advance), with an even chance of Game 1 starting on Thursday or Friday.

Which team would you prefer the Wings facing off against?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hippy Dave's avatar

Nashville’s a whipping boy.  The sharks shut us down last year.

I choose the whipping boy.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 04/26/11 at 03:23 AM ET

Preds owned the Wings all year.  I suspect Detroit gets up for a “name” team more than the Preds.  And road-ice advantage is key.

Posted by Andrew on 04/26/11 at 03:27 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Look at the post-season record, Andrew; regular season our boys were too fat on Tennessee BBQ to care.  Pavel already said they’re on a diet now.  Plus I like the travel schedule wayyyyy better.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 04/26/11 at 03:30 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Nashville for one reason, home ice.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/26/11 at 03:40 AM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Abstaining from voting bc of the old adage ‘careful what you wish for’. Haha

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 04/26/11 at 03:44 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Paul: Word.  And hence I unveil my new avatar icon.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 04/26/11 at 03:48 AM ET

Lucce's avatar

For some reason i think we are going to play them both soon. So there is no choice, both wins in 6 games.

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 04/26/11 at 04:10 AM ET

perfection's avatar

fact is, if we’re going to win the cup, we must be able to beat anyone, which we clearly can. I’m not particularly afraid of either team but both have their upsides and downsides. Nashville, while obviously a worse overall team than San Jose, has the potential to really leave a physical dent in the squad. Playoff hockey is vicious against anyone, but Nashville has been known to get pretty goony on the Wings. If the wrong guy(s) goes down, it could cost us the cup (a la 2007). Nashville also has the better goalie so far in the playoffs. The Sharks have won in spite of their goaltending. Pekka Rinne seems like he has the potential to steal a game or two.

With all of that said, Nashville does give us home ice advantage and consists of much less travel than playing San Jose. San Jose is also almost guaranteed to be a long series, though I think the Wings really should beat them in the end. They have definitely not looked all that sharp IMO, crazy comeback and all.

One reason I think that in the end I’d pick Nashville is that watching their reaction after their last game, you could see that they were essentially satisfied. They won the first series in franchise history and that is an accomplishment. I’m not saying they aren’t going to give it their all and don’t want more, but they really did act like they already won their stanley cup. Meanwhile in San Jose, there are almost certainly jobs on the line over this next series. I think in the end, they will play much more desperate. Playing a game 7 in the house of a team with the talent San Jose has in that situation just doesn’t sound worth it. I’ll take my chances with Tootoo and the gang.

oh yeah… also if we play Nashville, it means Vancouver completed one of the most hilariously embarrassing collapses in NHL history. To win the presidents trophy and then go up 3-0 in the first round only to come back and lose the next 4!? Hi-friggin-larious. First year of Luongo’s 12 year contract too! I love it. Go Hawks in game 7.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/26/11 at 04:55 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Itrusteddrrahmani: Me, too. I think it’s like picking between…Well, in the second round, the pretenders have generally been eliminated, and while we’ve seen some obvious flaws in the Sharks’ and Predators’ games (and Rinne’s no longer invincible), these are teams that can tangle with the Wings and teams that can definitely defeat Detroit.

The Sharks are bigger but the smaller Predators hit just as hard. The Sharks never replaced Rob Blake and the Predators never needed to replace Marek Zidlicky. Both teams intensely dislike the Wings while using Detroit as a measuring stick, and the feeling is generally mutual.

The Sharks present longer travel and road ice. The Predators present shorter travel but they play like maniacs in their rink, and they tend to get away with whatever shenanigans they do when they run around like hooligans at home.

It’s picking between fighting a shark and fighting a saber-toothed tiger, which is what the Predators are supposed to be. Either way, you’re in a for a battle.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/26/11 at 04:58 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

If Z is good, I don’t care who we get. That said, I wouldn’t mind a chance to see Danger put a few on Weber.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/26/11 at 04:58 AM ET

I’ll admit I’m slightly biased in that I never want to hear “Chelsea Dagger” again in my life.

Posted by Andrew on 04/26/11 at 06:45 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

If the Red Wings have to make a trip out west, make it now after a week off.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/26/11 at 08:29 AM ET

This is a tough call, but I don’t really have a preference. San Jose did play us much tougher in the regular season, but they didn’t impress in their opening series at all, and given the fact that our guys were clearly just plain bored through the whole season, I can’t put much stock in it.

I think Nashville’s goaltending and defense have more potential to cause us fits, but my mind says SJ is the tougher team…either way, neither one of them particularly worry me. If we’re going to play like we want to win, I really feel like we’ll beat anybody. We trashed Phoenix minus Zetterberg and with an injured Franzen, all the while holding back even with the guys who were playing, as evidenced by Lidstrom ranking as 5th in ice-time amongst our own D.

I suppose I’ll say Nashville, for the shorter travel and home ice, but neither team scares me. And if we need to go out west again, I think it’d be better if it’s now after we’ve had plenty of time to rest.

Posted by Erinabeth on 04/26/11 at 08:37 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

They’re both going to be tough.  So I go with home ice and lack of travel.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/26/11 at 09:26 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Do you know the way to San Jose?  LOL.

Rinne scares the hell out of me - - and I do not care what he has done so far in the playoffs - he seems to have DET’s number.

Go ‘Nucks(!)

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/26/11 at 11:14 AM ET

I picked Nashville, but I really dont care wich team we play first
I just wanna see the Sharks and the Hawks kill each other
=D

Posted by Zqto from Brasil on 04/26/11 at 11:21 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I just wanna see the Sharks and the Hawks kill each other

yeah, but I got a bad feeling that the Hawks have Niemi’s number.  They may put away San Jose faster than you think, especially coming off the 0-3 comeback ... feeling like they are suddenly blessed.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/26/11 at 11:24 AM ET

i picked nashville…that gives us ice advantage and less travel. let someone else deal with the pain of long flights and time changes! plus, if you’ve ever been to a nashville home game (vs. anyone), plenty of random hockey fans there are red wings fans.

randomly…if the coyotes were expecting red wings v2010 in round 1, san jose might be expecting the same in round 2 (with a ‘nucks win)…but RWv2011 is already better (tho the PK needs a massive tune-up). i think puckdaddy phrased it well, calling the wings a fully armed battle station with Z and mule healthy.

if the hawks win tonight, they likely are already packed for a flight to san jose, which might actually give them a mental edge to start that series (no additional time change til game 3). i’d be fine with those two benches clobbering each other for another 6-7 games before we had to deal with (one of) them.

Posted by corkboards from livonia on 04/26/11 at 11:52 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

I picked Nashville for the travel, but I would prefer SJ in order to exact revenge for last year. If, we’re playing SJ then the Preds are tenderizing Vancouver for us to face in the WCF. So either way, I suppose that makes it a win-win for us.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 04/26/11 at 12:59 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

RW2011 is far healthier and deeper. We have yet to play a single black ace, and we have four of a kind in the wings (Mursak, Emmerton, Kindl, Smith). I like them against either team. I’d rather face Nashville, as DRW are more familiar w/ Bubba than SJS, but knowing that the SJS choke in clutch moments always makes them an attractive opponent.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/26/11 at 01:26 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Home ice and less travel win in my eyes - bring on bubba . . .

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 04/26/11 at 01:47 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

wings could use home ice + low travel.  as much as i hate watching bubba it’s a no brainer for me.

Posted by Zaze on 04/26/11 at 01:54 PM ET

Beatrain's avatar

I say San Jose. I know that the travel etc will be a biatch, but if you are gonna play the Sharks, don’t you want to be rested and healthy? Look at the season record. The one time that Detroit was rested (and interested) they clobbered SJ. Niemi has been on a cycle of on-off-on-off etc. I fear that the motivation to beat his old team will help him get in a groove. Combine that with the Hawks beginning to lose players to injury and their shortened rest time… spells a quick series for SJ while we slug it out with Bubba and then head to WCF tired and bruised (and still without home-ice). Bring on SJ. You know our boys want it and I am sure the coaching staff have been planning for SJ. Last season was a fluke (and with no rest and all the 5-on-3’s we still only lost by a goal in each game).

Posted by Beatrain on 04/26/11 at 02:08 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Nashville. Less travel, Home ice, ...followed by a 2nd round victory celebration.

The only thing that causes me to hesitate is those damnable whistles.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/26/11 at 02:11 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Nashville also has the better goalie so far in the playoffs.

that’s not saying much.  they both have terrible numbers.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/26/11 at 02:20 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Said this in another thread-

The Sharks almost represent more of a challenge to the Wings…but I almost think that’s good. How often did the Wings and Avs meet earlier in life? You knew it was coming, you knew it was going to be insanely hard to get past them, but that sort of series almost propelled you to that big 34.5 lb hunk of silver.

In either case, the Wings can and should win if they play their game. They have to play better than they did against the ‘Yotes, and I think they will. I am still…almost…hoping for the Sharks. There’s a score to settle, and Babcock needs to pay back his apprentice for last year’s spanking.

Bring either team, I’m not sure it’ll matter, but if I have to choose, I want the Fish. Payback’s a bitch.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/26/11 at 02:27 PM ET

I went with the Sharks.  I want revenge for last year.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/26/11 at 03:05 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

I voted for Nashville because of travel/home ice of course. In my heart I want to destroy SJ but think we still might have a chance to crush the Sharts in Rd. 3. Nashville will be overHELMed by a fully operational deathstar.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 04/26/11 at 04:17 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

eeny meeny miney mo ...  I don’t care tho cheese

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/26/11 at 06:52 PM ET