The Malik Report

Quick Game Recap- Wings/Devils

George is ill so I am it, which means a quick recap.

The Detroit Red Wing defeated the New Jersey Devils 3-0.

Very good effort by the Wings.

First period good.

Second period- good pk, bad pp.

Third period good.

Petr was great the whole game with his second consecutive shutout.

Goals are below along with a big save by Mrazek...

Bertuzzi...

Booth...

Mrazek save on Boyle early in the third...

Larkin...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

I welcome players to, as my college buddies would say, “make me look like a dick.”

If you have faith in Razr (Kermit the top of the list), then you are being rewarded. Same with AA - making plays. But I still wonder what happens if he had to go without Larkin.

Hicketts…not much ice in the 3rd. To me he looked small, got skated around and obviously a bit on the “needs muscle” side.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/22/18 at 10:47 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

How many guys have been waived and scored a goal in the same day???

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/22/18 at 10:51 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Mrazek played exceptionally well tonight. All around good game for him.  He was ON.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/22/18 at 10:55 PM ET

PierreC's avatar

i Wonder if this time our beloved coach will understand or still sit Mrazek for another month !  Funny how this game was played, a total domination by the Wings but it seems that the Devils didn’t care much for this one, not much intensity.

But that’s all right we will take it.

Again another waiver (Booth) that is dressed..and played a strong game ! funny isnt it ? we waive a player and the same night he is in the line-up.

Lars was intense. He really fought hard on his goal…

That win probably won’t help ouur cause but it sure was fun to Watch !

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 01/22/18 at 11:01 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

2 Wins out of the last 6 games both by Hasek, oops I mean Mrazek
Officials need a smack on the side of the head, useless
Scorekeeper was using a white Cane, Blind
My Bozo Wings, Tatar and Nyquist can leave tonight, at least Nyquist can hit the Goalie, Tatar gave up
Kids under 30 won the game, heard DeK’s ( should be replaced, Kronner was better) name for the 1st time near the mid 2nd Period
Players happy for Petr, especially Z..Stick it were the Sun don’t shine old bat, HSJ.
SportsNet cut out with Larkin congratulating Peter, Howard better have followed.

2 Shutouts doesn’t make a career but if Petr stays Hot, Blashill should pay but that is normal for his coaching strategy

Sure like Lil Bert, smart…Lil Joe will be back..  Happy for Booth, waivers then score a Big goal

Injuries galore by both teams Only one with a chance for Post Season play

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/22/18 at 11:02 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

It helps when a one line team is missing the linchpin to that line, tho Wings do get credit for making the necessary plays. I agree Bert is a keeper and hicketts was meh. Two bad pinches that both (?) resulted in penalties to the Wings.

Posted by duhduhduh on 01/22/18 at 11:10 PM ET

If we can only play like this with some sort of consistency. Maybe now KH will have second thoughts about Mrazek.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/22/18 at 11:13 PM ET

Like I said today…trade Howard, ride Mrazek, then make sure you make the right decision on whether to qualify him or let him walk. A duo of Mrazek with Khudobin or Hutton or Dell would be fine as we rebuild.

But we knew Kenny the Klown has other plans.

I also love how Booth scores again. Same amount of goals as Helm, with 1/5th the ice time. I’m guessing a couple of posters cringed when Booth scored. AA too. And Mrazek. Must have been a bittersweet win for some…

Posted by fatsavage on 01/22/18 at 11:18 PM ET

I do still believe in Mrazek, Homers. From the first time I saw him play, I felt he has a special quality that you don’t see a lot. I believe he will have a successful NHL career. With which team, I don’t know.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/22/18 at 11:50 PM ET

Homers thinks Hicketts needs muscle? Haha. He’s built like a rock. Muscle isn’t the problem. Too bad all of his limbs are so short and his skating is merely average. But I sure got in a lot of trouble for saying that earlier…

Posted by fatsavage on 01/22/18 at 11:54 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Joe Hicketts wearing Gary Bergman’s old number ... I’m just sayin’.
He played well for a first game ... a couple of risky pinches but that will be eliminated in the next few games as he adjusts to the speed of the NHL.
Turgeon good on the penalty kill ... lil Bert with a goal .... kids are lookin’ good.

Old school says ride that horse ‘til he drops dead.  Mrazek in goal tomorrow ??  I would.  Hes 25 and excels under heavy load.  Give Jimmy the rest before the All-Star game. Probably won’t happen but worth mentioning.

I still say the playoffs are out of the question but ... things could change if Mrazek gets hot and they win 6 or 7 or 8 in a row.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 01/22/18 at 11:57 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I’m so glad Mrazek did play so well..Now he actually might be worth something in a trade.?

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/23/18 at 12:11 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Joe Hicketts wearing Gary Bergman’s old number ... I’m just sayin’.

I remember Gary Bergman very well. When Henri Richard pushed the puck past Roger Crozier with his arm for the Stanley Cup winning goal in the 1966 SCF,s which should have been disallowed, Bergman chased Referee Frank Udvari off the ice. I saw it as I was in the balcony looking straight down at it. Just another example of the Red Wings getting the shaft.  mad

Posted by bigfrog on 01/23/18 at 12:21 AM ET

I’ll join a few others in just refusing to believe that Mrazek suddenly became a bad goalie.

You enjoy whatever you can in a season like this - and for now, it’s Mrazek
and the kids at forward and, finally, a chance for Hicketts to get his feet wet.

Winning is still so much better a feeling than losing - even if it prolongs
limbo to some extent.

Pragmatically, I think there are good and bad examples of attempts to tank
to hasten a rebuild. Of course luck and timing play a role. Buckey Gleason’s
piece the other day about Bufalo’s tank in going for McDavid, portrayed it
as a message to the players that they were supposed to lose - poor effort was normal.
Combined with firing Bylsma apparently the behest of some players, and not letting
the new GM make that decision maybe screwed up the perceived lines of authority.
And when they tanked, they seemed to expect Eichel to deliver them…with the same approach
that acceptable when tanking.

I think Holland tends to make a lot of excuses and cherry pick examples when dismissing
a faster, more effective rebuild. But there’s no doubt there are examples of doing it wrong
and making matters no better for years.

Posted by Lefty30 on 01/23/18 at 12:39 AM ET

BIGFOOT88's avatar

WOW - Larkin just made some awesome comments in regards to Jim Johanssen (USA Hockey) who just passed unexpectedly… that kid is mature beyond his years man!

Posted by BIGFOOT88 on 01/23/18 at 12:45 AM ET

Take away the relief appearences when Mrazek came in cold for mop up duty. Ignore those games. Just look at the games when both players start. Now compare stats. Compare winning percentages. But yeah, let’s just give away the 25-year old and keep the 34-year old who gets hurt all the time. Solid strategy Kenny! What was Howard doing at Mrazek’s age?

Posted by fatsavage on 01/23/18 at 12:59 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

You enjoy whatever you can in a season like this - and for now, it’s Mrazek

This.

It’s great to see Mrazek play well. I love seeing the AA that State was telling me about all summer. The resurgence of Larkin is quite possibly my favourite storyline, after he was questioned this past season.

I choose to enjoy the wina, whether they fit my long term wants and desires or not.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 01:06 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Nielsen with 6:44 On the PK.  Thats a boat load, isnt it? Turgeon with 5 minutes of PK time - that feels like a lot of trust in a guy with…5 games NHL experience?

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 01:12 AM ET

I like Razr. I’ve liked him since his debut shutout.  He can improve but I think he is mentally tougher than Howie.  I like Howie too, but one of them has to go.

Posted by SlimChance on 01/23/18 at 01:13 AM ET

I really like both of our goalies and it’s a shame what should be a strength
has been more like a constipated inconsistent mediocrity. A more aggressive GM
might have moved on from one when their value was high and cost relatively low.

There are many examples of strange usage this season.

even IF a platoon could work with these guys, it’s not hard to imagine better deployment
to get the most out of both.

There is neither a goalie in the system ready to play in the NHL, nor is there a shortage of decent
backup options on the UFA market to fill in.

Who knows what the trade market is. Howard/Mrazek to Islanders with perhaps 1M salary retained
for Halak (expiring contract) and a pick or prospect or two. seems like model for what to explore.

Squandering an exciting, promising talent (and asset) would seem a partly self-inflicted harm.

Posted by Lefty30 on 01/23/18 at 01:18 AM ET

calquake's avatar

That still pisses me off to this day. Was that the year Crozier won the Conn Smyth? He was phenomenal that year.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/23/18 at 01:46 AM ET

Yeah, keep the games where Howard got pulled to drag his stats down, but take out Mrazek’s horrible relief appearances.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Posted by Vasha on 01/23/18 at 01:48 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I feel like Hicketts played well, for someone who is still very green. He does have a lot of work yet to do, a lot more muscle to gain, but he’s going to be a great D-man in the near future.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/23/18 at 05:19 AM ET

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Posted by Vasha on 01/23/18 at 12:48 AM ET

Shame on you. No one would ever do this. Especially FS. Giggle. Giggle. Giggle.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/23/18 at 08:12 AM ET

Vasha, all FS said to do was look at their stats in their starts. Typically, one is more concerned with those stats than what someone does in relief duty, which everyone knows is just too up when the team doesn’t care anymore. By doing what FS said, you also take out the game in Montreal for Howard when he allowed 5 goals on 9 shots in relief of Mrazek. And it leaves in that game for Mrazek, despite both being victimized by the team being awful in front of them that game. There is nothing unfair about FS’s proposal to simply see what both of their stats are in the games they started. I expect Howard’s are still better than Mrazek’s, but probably not by a ton.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/23/18 at 08:14 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Mrazek looking like Mrazek again.

Hicketts looked good, but very raw. Maybe a whole season of NHL-level training and coaching would have him looking more polished right now. Time to dump Witkowski.

Larkin continues to be the GOAT on this team.

Booth will head to GR with a big bowl of confidence.

Bertuzzi keeps getting better the more he plays. This team has needed a win from their system beyond the Big 3, here’s one.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 01/23/18 at 10:56 AM ET

Boyle probably sees Mrazek in his dreams now. Mrazek’s most spectacular saves come against Boyle.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 12:26 PM ET