The Malik Report

Questions For Khan

Ansar Khan of Mlive answers a few questions....

Q: The way the fans called for Steve to come home (on April 9), do you think that will put pressure on Chris Ilitch to make a change? If not this year then next season?

A: I don’t think so. Two days after that scene, Ilitch affirmed his support for general manager Ken Holland and confirming his return for 2017-18, the final year of his contract.

Ilitch said talk of an extension “is something for the future,” but his comments seemed to indicate he wants Holland here beyond this season. He said ownership has “100 percent confidence” in Holland as its GM into the future and that Holland has the passion to build a championship team again in Detroit.

I get the sense Holland is not ready to retire anytime soon and wants the opportunity to get the Red Wings back to where they were.

I don’t think Yzerman wants to return to Detroit, now or in the future. At least that’s what I’ve heard....

Q: What players do the Wings have a chance of losing through the expansion draft this summer?

A: The protected list will be one of the main topics of discussion and debate when the front office meets next month. I’m sure they have a good idea of what the list will be, but it could change if trades are made prior to the June 21 expansion draft.

Right now, I think some of the players who’ll be available to the Vegas Golden Knights are forwards Darren Helm, Riley Sheahan, Luke Glendening and Tomas Nosek, defensemen Xavier Ouellet and Ryan Sproul and goaltender Jimmy Howard.

Niklas Kronwall and Jonathan Ericsson will be exposed, but it’s safe to say neither will be selected....

more on each of the above answers plus two more questions...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Blashill explained his usage of Sheahan on several occasions, saying he likes his defense-first mentality (despite his minus-29 rating) and ability to match-up against top centers, his size and strength on the puck and net-front presence on the power play (despite only three points).

Solid burns by Ansar. I’ve never been a fan of Sheahan. I’m praying Vegas takes him. If you’re not quick and you’re not physical, you better be able to score. If not, what’s the point?

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 04/21/17 at 08:52 AM ET

Not a fan of Sheahan or Abdelkader personally. I never ubderstood the Red Wings love forbeother one of them. Honestly, I’d rather see Helm protected over the 2 of them

Posted by benzanato on 04/21/17 at 09:16 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

People, and when I say people I mean fanboys, say Sheehan is not physical, and I disagree, unless your definition is a knuckle dragger like Lucic, or a guy like Helm 5 years ago when he used to use his speed to fore check and hit people. He’s not a Phyiscal beast by any stretch, but this narrative that he’s not physical is just absolutely false.

Sheehan. unfortunately, is one of the more physical wingers on this squad. The very definition of non-physical is guys like Gus Nyquist, he’s literally a marshmallow, Tatar, Vanek, and on the back end, Mike Green unless you count how often he gets railed, etc.

Sheehan bodies out in the corners, he absorbs 1st man on forecheck, he goes to the front of the net, etc. It may not be bruising like we’d like him to be with his size, but its not soft either.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 04/21/17 at 09:31 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by benzanato on 04/21/17 at 09:16 AM ET

I’d happily keep Abdelkader over those other two.

Unless DET’s going to refocus Helm on being a defensive demon, I’m not sure I see a real role for him anymore.  He’s not actually good enough offensively to be a real offensive contributor to count on.

This is the mess DET has now:  they have a guy that’s supposed to be a scorer that they let hang around because they think he’s good defensively even though he’s not (Sheahan).... and they have a superior checker who they won’t let be that because they want him to be a scorer (Helm).

And it’s important to note that isn’t all on Blashill:  Babcock started this with both players.

Posted by Primis on 04/21/17 at 09:39 AM ET

I’ve never been a fan of Sheahan. I’m praying Vegas takes him

Sheahan has 1 year left on his contract. We should be praying Vegas takes Abby or Helm, but unfortunately Abby will be protected.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/21/17 at 09:57 AM ET

The thing with Abby and Helm is their usage. Neither will ever be top 6 forwards, sure you can slot them there in times of need. Them 2 playing top 6 should only be in emergencies. To me both are 3rd or 4th liners and that’s where they should stay. I don’t put in on Blash to an extent, Babs started it but Blash continued it. Out of the 3, I believe Helm is the better all around player. Sheahan’s good when he’s not snake bitten and uses his wrister, which at times can be quite wicked.

Posted by benzanato on 04/21/17 at 10:00 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I wish people would give up on this fantasy of Stevie Y “coming home.” He’s got a good gig already. Yeah the bolts didn’t make the POs, but they are in a much better position to do than the wings.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 04/21/17 at 10:00 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Sheehan. unfortunately, is one of the more physical wingers on this squad

I don’t necessarily disagree with that, but my point is that the less physical wingers had something else to offer like speed (Nyquist, Tatar) or scoring (Vanek). You have to make yourself stand out in at least one area. He’s not quck. He doesn’t hit. He doesn’t even show any emotion. Being above average at faceoffs and competent defensively is not good enough for me.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 04/21/17 at 10:02 AM ET

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 04/21/17 at 10:02 AM ET

I agree, guys like Sheahan are dime a dozen in the league, he is an average 3rd line center at best.

I’ve never been a fan of Sheahan. I’m praying Vegas takes him

Posted by VPalmer on 04/21/17 at 09:57 AM ET

that’s exactly why we should be hoping Vegas takes, because you know KH is going to re-sign him to 5 years at 4mil.

Posted by George0211 on 04/21/17 at 10:12 AM ET

Babcock started this with both players.

Yeah, because Babcock didn’t have Larkin, Mantha or Athanasiou.

If Holland had given him enough top-six forwards instead of insisting on always having nine bottom-six forwards on the roster at all times, Babcock wouldn’t have had to try to make some of them into top-six forwards.

It’s not Babcock’s fault that Abdelkader was production when playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, it’s Holland’s fault for being so stupid that he actually thought his production was a result of his skills and not the fact that he was playing with what were unquestionably Detroit’s two top players.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 04/21/17 at 10:24 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Funny thing about Sheehan, this fanbase believes he’s a dime a dozen, worthless, and want’s to blow him out like last nights coney dogs after 4 hours of drinking Busch Lite out of a dirty tap, but he’s the first guy mentioned that Vegas would want if unprotected, and that teams were calling about at the trade deadline this year, despite not scoring a single goal.

Meanwhile, this same fanbase, cried and whined, and cried more about guys like Turnover Pulkinen, Martin Frk, Adam Almquist, etc. guys that are never be’s in the NHL.

This is an example of why I like to stand off to the side when outsiders look for the HHHT group.  I get the piss and vinegar, he failed last year,  but if we ARE a hockeytown, and we understand that game, we should know enough to know who is a viable player in this league and who is not and time and time again, we spray tears in the wrong direction.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 04/21/17 at 10:53 AM ET

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Hey Hey Hockeyfart on 04/21/17 at 10:53 AM ET

You are absolutely right, none of here understand the game. We all appreciate your insight into this magic.
You should spread the wealth and go honor other blogs with your beautiful mind. We are not worthy.

Posted by George0211 on 04/21/17 at 10:56 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

we spray tears in the wrong direction.

Where would you like the tears sprayed? Because I can’t think of many players more deserving of criticism than Sheahan (That’s S-H-E-A-H-A-N).

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 04/21/17 at 10:59 AM ET

What are f…g obnoxious comments by Mr.Murray Chadwick, who is Mr. Brainfart. This particular fart of his really smells. Make him KH assistant so they can BS us together

Posted by 1718 on 04/21/17 at 12:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

1718, ease up please.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/21/17 at 12:27 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I am OK with Sheahan if he can play on the 4th line. Aby one of the players.
that other teams watch as is reckless (wild physical).  Aby has to stop the need for Mantha, Larkin, etc to fight.  Nyquist is small, soft, over paid and will surely KH will let the NTC to slip in this summer.

Nyquist has to be shopped. I doubt Vegas would take him but they do have to fill the gap to get to the cap floor.

In Canada I have watched the Oilers and Lucic is empty from the shoulders up but I think he was nudging 30 Goals.  No or not many fights for him in the playoffs, just “I am going to Kill you” Looks. Very good at that. Oilers have a few that use the body and score. One on each line. Sort of a neat idea, but protection started long ago.

Of course all of this is fantasy, KH will be KH.

but it’s safe to say

Khan should know better than to say that with GM KH

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/21/17 at 01:17 PM ET

It certainly wouldn’t break my heart if we lost Sheahan in the expansion draft, but yes, we are all pretty much mindful of the fact that there were reported to be up to ten teams making offers for Sheahan at the trade deadline. No doubt all of them were hoping to buy quite low. But if we’re likely to lose Sheahan for nothing, Holland should have taken the best offer back then. More likely he’s trying to trade Sheahan now and the teams formerly interested have cooled because they can only protect so many players, too.

We should be forcing LV to take one of the worst contracts (dollar and term) or an unproven fringe type.
And if they don’t want to do that, they can offer us something in return.

And for (I doubt it, but hopefully) the last time, all the references to players lost on waivers or thrown into already bad trades: is and always was primarily about the sum of wasted assets by the Wings, a supposedly draft and develop team already hurting from not having top picks. It was and is always about poor asset management by a front office that can’t sign players like it used to and can’t make hockey trades at all. No one was so bummed that we lost Ferraro, for example; I don’t think he resurfaced once this year in St. Louis. It’s the fact that he was our highest pick one year. Frk was our highest pick one year. We kept Pulkkinen over Jarnkrok, and Maltby specifically said that we included Jarnkrok, an effective, affordable top-nine player for Nashville, because “we liked Pulkkinen a little better.” Jurco was the highest pick we had one year - and hey, good for Holland for getting a 3rd rounder back in his case. But the point is the number of poor picks and top picks of ours being wasted on the waiver wire or thrown into trades, who are not even being partially recouped in draft picks, like Holland finally did do with Jurco and Brendan Smith.

That’s either poor talent evaluation or poor asset management or both. And sure, all teams miss plenty. The point is, if Holland can’t reshape a roster effectively in any of the other ways that current GMs are able to and he keeps preaching draft and develop, then we sure as hell better be drafting and developing better than other teams and not wasting assets. But we consistently have wasted some of our highest picks, while also keeping and accumulating fewer picks than other teams.

But it’s easier to keep assaulting the same poor straw man and claiming that “fan boys” cried about losing these specific players as if we were waiving the next Pav or Z.

Posted by Lefty30 on 04/21/17 at 02:29 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Lefty30 on 04/21/17 at 02:29 PM ET

You should read more comments other than your own to get a perspective on the fanbase.  That is a valid argument to some extent, its an argument when stated is actually directed at an issue for this team. However, nobody (you aside) was making that argument, you are speaking for the minority,  not the majority of this fan base.

To me, the real issue today, is the lack of quality picks from 2005 to 2008, maybe ‘09 and ‘10 depending on the careers of Mrazek and Tatar.  because those players would be in their prime. Problem is we were also doing well, drafting late, selling pics.

in ‘12 we got Frk 2nd round, but on the flipside we also got AA in the 4th.

‘11 yielded Jurco, X, Sproul, Marchenko. No home runs, but considering our 1st pick was a 2nd rounder at 35th, not a natural disaster.

‘10 Pulkinen and Sheehan ok, but also Mrazek.

‘09 Ferrero ok, but also Tatar & Jensen

‘08 McCollum ok, but also Nyquist.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 04/21/17 at 04:31 PM ET