The Malik Report

Questions For Khan

Ansar Khan of Mlive with a few answers to questions...

Q: It seems that all of our young forwards are up for new contracts at the same time. Any problems getting them all signed? Will there be enough cap space or will they need to dump salaries? Can you envision any scenario where they might have to move (Martin) Frk or, I hope not, AA (Andreas Athanasiou) because of money problems?

A: I don't think we'll see any stalemates that extend into the season, like we did withAthanasiou, which was a rare case. And since Athanasiou is arbitration eligible this summer, if he files, that will assure him of having a contract with the Red Wings by mid-July to early-August, depending on the hearing date. If he doesn't file, the club can file, which again would assure that he'll be in the fold well before training camp.

Frk also is arbitration eligible. Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha and Tyler Bertuzzi are not eligible for arbitration. Perhaps negotiations will extend into late August or even early September with Larkin or Mantha, but I would be surprised if they're not done by camp.

Cap space isn't an issue. Mike Green and Petr Mrazek will come off the books, creating $10 million to ink those young forwards plus backup goalie Jared Coreau. And don't forget that whatever these players sign for, you're only adding the raise to the cap, not the full amount (for instance, if Athanasiou signs for $3 million a year, they'd be adding only $1.62 million to the cap, since he's at $1.38 million currently).

Also, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in December that the cap is projected to rise to between $78 million and $82 million, up from $75 million.

more Q & A and I can't believe some people think being named an All-Star increases the trade value of a player....

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I agree that if the Wings don’t re-sign Green, don’t qualify Mrazek, and don’t go fishing on the free agent market, they should have plenty of space to lock up their young’ns.

That would, however, require truly committing to the tank next year, because without Mike Green (who is no longer elite but still pretty good) the Wings would no longer have any defenders who

A) can find their way into and around the attacking zone without a map, and
B) have two functioning knees

Not that I object to committing to the tank, of course. But perhaps all the excitement about the young forward talent has partially obscured the fact that the defense is still an unmitigated disaster with no obvious solution, and we’re talking about removing the only player on the entire unit who can legitimately claim to be better than below average.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 01/12/18 at 09:28 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Once again, in case any one wants to look at the numbers:

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 09:46 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

If not, then Anthony Mantha, if they feel he’s ready for it, which they hope he will be eventually

bahahahahahaha. Mantha an alternate captain? Based on….what, exactly? Lack of candidates? Is there something we haven’t seen?

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 09:52 AM ET

Maybe extra responsibilities will help Mantha compete level, but as of now he is the last person I see wearing an A. Glendening or Helm will probably get that. I also do not see any leadership qualities in Ericsson.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/12/18 at 10:16 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 08:52 AM ET

Agreed. Mantha is good, but he isn’t sweater-letter material yet.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 01/12/18 at 10:21 AM ET

Based on….what, exactly? Lack of candidates?

Well, yeah.

When the “better” options are Abdelkader or Glendening…

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/12/18 at 11:02 AM ET

One year ago today…Chicago had just 4 players under the age of 26.

Now they have 13.

That’s how you re-tool on the fly Kenny. You don’t lock up Helm, Abby, Glendening, and then sign UFAs like Nielsen and Daley. You promote young guys from within and you acquire young guys via trade, as they just did with Duclair. Not saying Chicago is a Cup contender right now, but they have kept that same core of Kane-Toews-Keith-Seabrook-Crawford and then continually moved supporting players in and out.

But trades are hard. Rebuilds take 8 or 10 or even 15 years.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/12/18 at 11:20 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Coreau will be backing up next season, I believe.

I’m going to miss having a goalie that can competently handle the puck.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 01/12/18 at 11:43 AM ET

FS, I normally agree with your take on KH and the team, but these contracts are already done and no one on this forum I can think of likes these contracts. Some are bad, some are terrible and everybody agrees on that, so I am not sure who are you talking to when you say “That’s how you re-tool on the fly Kenny”. He is not reading this forum, I can pretty much guarantee it.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/12/18 at 12:47 PM ET

I’m going to miss having a goalie that can competently handle the puck.

I’m going to miss fans saying “but he should be playing more, he had a good game that one time three years ago, why isn’t he starting???”

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/12/18 at 12:50 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 01/12/18 at 11:47 AM ET

Not exactly a reply to your comment, but just a small anecdote in the same realm:

I can’t find any print media, but 97.1 had a small topic last week or two weeks ago. Kenny claimed (they had an audio clip) that he does not read detroit based media, but he will read the paper for the other teams. I don’t know his exact wording, but his thought process was he uses that information when talking with other GMs.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 01:00 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

Oh, that’s going to continue with Coreau. Don’t worry.

I am not sure who are you talking to

I rarely know who FS is trying to prove a point to. Most of it is just venting, I think.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 01/12/18 at 01:02 PM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 12:00 PM ET

Actually, the gist of his comments was that he reads other newspapers to stay informed about what is happening around the league. It’s the kind of thing GMs did in the 1990s, like before the internet and texting. Can you imagine a GM like Poile or Yzerman or Bowman logging in to MLIVE to get the scoop on what’s happening in Detroit. It’s a sad day when Kenny thinks reading other newspapers helps him stay informed. Perhaps that’s why our track record on trades and UFAs is so awful. Put down your reading glasses Kenny. Assemble a competent pro-scouting department (ie probably not led by Kirk Maltby). Listen to them. Not some beat writers in other cities. Does Kenny still subscribe to the Hockey News and eagerly await his monthly paper delivery? He’s a clueless dinosaur.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/12/18 at 01:14 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Most of it is just venting, I think.

It’s been half a year, that’s a hell of a lot of steam and vitriol.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 01:21 PM ET

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 01/12/18 at 12:02 PM ET

Sometimes I direct things at Kenny so it’s less confrontational.

Would you prefer that I say. Hey Homers (just using him as an example). I just read your post about how Kenny has “changed” his ways. Because what? He sold some UFAs at the deadline. Big deal. Other GMs can re-tool much, much faster. Look at Chicago. One year ago they had 4 guys under 26 and now they have 13. So your view on Kenny is way off base. Dummy.

That’s a little harsh. So I direct it at Kenny. Knowing full well he’s never going to read it. Although his revelation that he reads newspapers in other cities is quite hilarious!

Posted by fatsavage on 01/12/18 at 01:33 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I still can’t find that item about Kenny reading the papers in other cities to use in his conversations with other GMs, so you’ll just have to trust me.

wink. smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 01:42 PM ET

hmmmm…....I enjoy using extremes to make my points too. anyone else?

Hey Paul, remember when FS PROMISED he didn’t call people names….....See “Dummy” above.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 12:21 PM ET

Steam=hot air.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/12/18 at 02:05 PM ET

hmmmm…....I enjoy using extremes to make my points too. anyone else?

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 12:21 PM ET

Steam=hot air.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/12/18 at 01:05 PM ET

Just viewed the site from my son’s house. Can’t believe you still write about me? You do realize I put you on ignore a couple of months ago.

Anyway, my use of the word “dummy” was an example of how harsh my opinion would sound if directed at another reader. Hence I direct them at Kenny. This was merely a hypothetical example of what it would sound like directed at another person. And I was quick to acknowledge that this would come accross as harsh. Sorry if that bothered anyone. I didn’t actually mean to call Homers or anyone else a “Dummy”. And feel free to go through my entire comment history where I’ve called other posters names like dummy or moron or idiot before. Never. Only to players, coaches, and mgmt.

I’d suggest H&H put me on ignore. That’s what I did with you and life here has been much better LOL

Posted by fatsavage on 01/12/18 at 02:47 PM ET

Posted by fatsavage on 01/12/18 at 12:33 PM ET

Personally I have no issues with your comments. In many cases they are spot on and imo you contribute to the forum a lot more than some other people. My only issue if I may that you constantly repeat the same line even when 99% of the forumists are in absolute agreement there. I think only 1 person on this forum I can think of is perfectly happy with everything KH does (or at least defends him on every move), but the rest totally hate those contracts you are mentioning all the time.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/12/18 at 04:34 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by VPalmer on 01/12/18 at 03:34 PM ET

QFT

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/18 at 05:15 PM ET

wow. you aren’t flattered. It’s pretty clear you only post for the attention…..

sure…..

I’d suggest H&H put me on ignore.

why? I all for free speech unlike you. enjoy your safe space.

Agreed. I’d like to add that a lot of FS post are about directing attention to himself.

I hope you aren’t talking about me…..the only defense I offer regarding Holland’s moves is that we, HHHT, have no idea what the financial goals are for the club. None here regard the decisions of the franchise based on business decisions even though owning a sports team is first and foremost an investment. Don’t get me wrong, Owners love championships, but they buy teams for making money…...or writing off losses.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/13/18 at 05:15 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Well I have had just about enough of this.

fatsavage, do what you do best. Talk Wings, no more references to other KK members.

Others, put him on ignore, plain and simple.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/13/18 at 05:20 PM ET