The Malik Report

Prospect News

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Good news on the Detroit Red Wings prospect front: Michael Rasmussen returned to play in fine form.

The ninth overall pick from the 2017 NHL draft, Rasmussen produced three points in his first appearance in six weeks since undergoing wrist surgery in mid-December.

Rasmussen, 18, had a goal and two assists as he played back-to-back games over the weekend for the Tri-City Americans of the Western Hockey League. The Ams won both games, improving to 25-16-7 and taking over the first wildcard spot in the WHL playoff race.

Rasmussen has 17 goals and 17 assists in 24 games. His 1.42 points-per-game average leads the team, and his nine power-play goals rank second on the team. ...

Fellow top prospect Dennis Cholowski is also having a standout season: he just had an eight-game point streak snapped over the weekend, leaving him with 13 goals and 36 assists in 47 games (he has 10 assists in 10 games since being traded to the Portland Winterhawks from the Prince George Cougars). Cholowski, drafted 20th overall in 2016, ranks fifth overall in scoring among WHL defensemen.

a bit more

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

Good for Ras. He came back - and you don’t score is you are playing scared or without confidence. I believe GM also noted he was in the faceoff circle.

With Cholo the move to the WHL seems like the right one. In college, who knows where his head was after a not so good year. But you can’t have a player doubting themselves, and you just gotta know he has a big boost of confidence now that will hopefully springboard him into some time with the Griffs….soon.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/18 at 12:40 PM ET

I’m not here to dump on Rasmussen and Cholowski, but some more context may help. Offense in the Dub is way up this year. The Q used to be known for goals, but it’s reversed now. The WHL has guys with some astonishing numbers. So while 1.4 pointer per game for Rasmussen sounds like a superstar, there are league leaders with over 2 points per game. Rasmussen has 2.67 shots per game, whereas other guys have over 4 shots per game. Again, he’s having a good year. He’s a great prospect. But given his size, these numbers don’t jump out as being sensational.

Same with Cholowski. He’s a great prospect, but for a guy who is about to turn 20, his point per game stats as a d-man in this high-scoring league don’t blow me away. There are a dozen other guys in the same situation. Kale Clague was drafted 30 picks after Cholowski and has 57 points in just 35 games. That would have me pretty excited. Jakub Kindl was also a point-per-game d-man in the CHL. We all thought he would be a future top pair guy too.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 01:46 PM ET

I’m not here to dump on Rasmussen and Cholowski, but ....

Well, that was a good try.

I can’t wait to use that on my employees at their next review…..

Me: Chuck, I’m not here to dump on your performance but…..you suck.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/29/18 at 04:27 PM ET

God FatSavage

Is that all you do honestly. You seriously say crap about every propect we have. Can never say even just 1 good thing. Again why are you on this page if you talk crap to other posters and never say anything good about even just one prospect?

Posted by timjohn12 on 01/30/18 at 08:04 AM ET

I literally said both guys were great prospects. And yet you claim that’s crap? Read it again if you like. Was only providing more context.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/30/18 at 08:12 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by timjohn12 on 01/30/18 at 08:04 AM ET

Just as an FYI, a significantly positive benefit of this site is the ignore feature, you can opt to ignore posts from specific members, just click on your profile and its an option, may make a world of difference in your reading experience here.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/30/18 at 08:54 AM ET

Was only providing more context.

I bet you genuinely believe that.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/30/18 at 09:50 AM ET

Was only providing more context.

I bet you genuinely believe that.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/30/18 at 09:50 AM ET

Sorry everyone. I guess when we all read stats like Rasmussen is producing 1.4 points per game, we know that this isn’t phenomenal for the Dub this season. It’s pretty good. But not eye-popping. Yeah, I’m sure we all knew that. I’m sure we all knew that while he was averaging 2.7 shots per game, other players were getting 4+. Again, widely known stuff. The context I provided wasn’t helpful to anyone. Oh and when I said Ras was a great prospect, I guess I meant he was crap, total garbage.

Have I got this right now?

Posted by fatsavage on 01/30/18 at 10:00 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 01:46 PM ET

Thanks for the context. Here’s a bit more. Both Rasmussen and Cholo had great showings at their young ages at our training camp and preseason. How many of those WHL kids did that? How many scored 4 goals in 5 preseason games? Rasmussen was also dealing with a wrist injury before. Post-injury he’s at about a 3PPG clip I think.

Unlike the others, I get that you’re just trying to temper people’s excitement a bit and I understand that. But here’s some more context: I don’t think anyone wants that. I’m sure a lot of people here drive themselves silly with the oft-unwarrented optimism about some of these prospects. But hey, that’s our burden to bear. You get excited about the young guys and they don’t pan out and it’s sad. We’re just looking for something to look forward to with this team. This upcoming draft, like any, will be a huge question mark. What we have right now, really, are just the 3-4 kids on the big club right now, maybe a couple guys in GR, and Ras & Cholo. It’s a sad time for a fanbase that once had a roster with what? ELEVEN HOFers on it?

Is it blind optimism? Sure. Whatever. We need it. We love hockey. We love the Red Wings.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 01/30/18 at 10:14 AM ET

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland’s new yacht, “Incompetence” on 01/30/18 at 10:14 AM ET

But…..FS complimented before he assaulted?!?!?!?!?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/30/18 at 11:06 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

More with Colin on this one. Not too much wrong with what FS posted.

I personally just want to see good things from these guys and be able to comment positive things without being flamed every time. lol.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/30/18 at 11:08 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/30/18 at 11:08 AM ET

Exactly. The other thing here is how are they playing defensively. Both players left our camp knowing the oft-mentioned 200ft game and playing off the puck are things they need to work on. I’m sure that has affected how they play their games in the CHL. If you have a charge from the organization that drafted you to round out your game, your focus will be to do just that. You take less chances and try to be more complete.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 01/30/18 at 12:24 PM ET