The Malik Report

Prospect news: Walleye beat Brampton in OT; Sulak posts 2 assists; Malmstrom posts 3 helpers

Of prospect-related note over the past 5 days (sorry, the flu is a merciless prospect news-stifling machine):

In the ECHL, on Wednesday, the Toledo Walleye rallied from a 3-0 deficit on goals from Davis Vandane, Austen Brassard (who also had 2 assists) and Mike Borkowski, but the Walleye ultimatley lost 4-3 to the Reading Royals in a shootout. Simon Denis also had 2 assists and Pat Nagle stopped 29 of 32 shots and 2 of 3 shootout shooters. The Walleye's website posted a recap;

On Friday, Kevin Tansey and Ryan Obuchowski scored, Dylan Sadowy had 2 assists and Matej Machovsky stopped 31 of 32 shots as the Walleye defeated the Brampton Beast 2-1 in overtime. The Walleye's website posted a recap, and the Toledo Blade's Mark Monroe wrote about the Walleye's road-and-home game odyssey that ends with Saturday and Sunday's home games against Brampton and Cincinnati, respectively.

Elsewhere, in the KHL, on Monday, Alexander Kadeikin didn't play in Lokomotiv Yaroslavl's 3-0 win over Amur;

In the Finnish Liiga, on Tuesday, Libor Sulak had 2 assists, finishing at -1 in 22:06 of ice time as his Lahti Pelicans lost 4-2 to Jukurit. Juilus Vahatalo won 61% of his faceoffs in 10:50 played for Jukurit;

On Thursday, Vahatalo had 2 shots and won 27% of his faceoffs in 9:59 played as Jukurit lost 4-3 to Sport;

In the SHL, on Thursday, Christoffer Ehn had 2 shots and won 55% of his faceoffs in 12:21 played as the Frolunda Indians won 7-1 over Karlskrona;

In the Swedish Allsvenskan, on Tuesday, Gustav Lindstrom played on the second defensive pair as Almtuna IS lost 2-1 to Vita Hasten;

Malte Setkov played on the last defensive pairing as IK Pantern lost 4-3 to Sodertalje SK;

On Wednesday, Mattias Elfstrom played on the 4th line as Vasterviks IK lost 2-1 to BIK Karlskoga;

On Thursday, Lindstrom continued to play on the second pairing as Almtuna IS lost 3-2 to IK Pantern. Setkov moved up to the 3rd defensive pairing for IK Pantern;

On Friday, Elfstrom played on defense as Vasterviks IK lost 4-1 to Leksands IF;

In the Swedish J20 league, on Tuesday, Alfons Malmstrom played on the first defensive pairing as HV71 Jonkoping won 4-2 over Djurgardens IF;

On Wednesday, Malmstrom had 3 assists as HV71 Jonkoping lost 7-5 to Brynas IF;

In the OHL, on Tuesday, Givani Smith scored a goal on 3 shots and finished at +1, winning 3 of 5 faceoffs as the Kitchener Rangers won 3-2 in a shootout over London.

On Friday, Kaden Fulcher missed the Hamilton Bulldogs' 4-3 win over the Erie Otters;

Cole Fraser finished even with 1 shot and Zach Gallant had an assist, finishing at +1 with 1 shot and a 7-for-19 faceoff record in the Peterborough Petes' 4-3 OT loss to Mississauga;

Jordan Sambrook finished even in the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds' 6-4 win over Windsor;

Smith finished at -1 with 2 shots in the Kitchener Rangers' 6-2 win over the Saginaw Spirit. Reilly Webb finished at -1 for Saginaw and Brady Gilmour missed the game;

In the WHL, on Friday, Dennis Cholowski had an assist and 4 shots, finishing at -1 in the Portland Winterhawks' 5-2 loss to Kamloops;

Lane Zablocki got in a fight and took a shot in the Victoria Royals' 4-3 OT win over Vancouver;

In the USHL, Filip Larsson stopped 22 of 23 shots as the Tri-City Storm lost 2-0 to the Central Illinois Flying Aces;

In NCAA hockey, on Friday, Chase Pearson had an assist and 2 shots, finishing at +1 with a 12-for-22 faceoff record, and Patrick Holway finished at +1 in the University of Maine Black Bears' 3-2 win over UMass;

Kasper Kotkansalo finished at +1 with 1 shot in the Boston University Terriers' 8-0 victory over the Arizona State University,

And David Pope scored a goal and had 6 shots, finishing even in the University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks' 6-2 win over Western Michigan University.

If you're keeping track of Pope--and you should be--he's posted 13 goals, 18 assists and 31 points over the course of 24 games played for UNO this season, matching his 34-games-played total from 2016-17. He's cruising on his way toward getting a contract from the Wings, which ain't bad for someone who was 6'2" and maybe 150 pounds when he was drafted.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Yeah Pope is having a great year. I don’t thInk his ceiling is too high…but if we lost Helm, Abby, Glendening, Witkowski…then I think Pope could step in very soon as a bottom 6 forward. But he first has to learn the process!!

Posted by fatsavage on 01/27/18 at 09:21 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I am not keeping track of Pope. That’s why I come here!

If pope continues to trend up, he can steal a job. Any of our prospects can when they are ready.

Larkin did it. Bertuzzi is here to stay (probably). Rasmussen narrowly won a job this year. Our prospects just take time, and the current vets will slowly lead us through being mediocre to bad until (hopefully) our prospects are ready in like 5 years.

Not the way most want it, but in some ways its better than bottoming out like Arizona and Buffalo and Edmonton.

Good to see some of our guys like Sadowy, Cholo, Sulak and Givani having good games.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/27/18 at 10:08 AM ET

Umm, Rasmussen didn’t come that close to winning a job. That was never a legit possibility. They merely gave him a few extra pre-season games as a reward for strong play. But maybe you can identify which roster player “almost” lost his job. Curious to know!

Sadowy? Haha. Good luck.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/27/18 at 11:32 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Hopefully next season is the year we see Ras after coming close this season.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/27/18 at 12:11 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Rasmussen is almost back from wrist surgery, reports the Tri-City Herald’s Annie Fowler.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/27/18 at 12:16 PM ET

Lol. Okay.  You win. Rasmussen came real, real close to making the Red Wings.

Too bad he didn’t even get a 9-game audition. Nor can you name which roster player he ALMOST stole a job from.

Yup, you’ve made a rock solid case here!

Posted by fatsavage on 01/27/18 at 12:49 PM ET

rock solid

Heh heh heh…..you said, rock solid.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/27/18 at 12:57 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Please stop trolling, fatsavage

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/27/18 at 01:23 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Thank you, GM for the Ras update.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/27/18 at 01:24 PM ET

Not trolling. Just trying to understand your point of view. I recall Rasmussen getting a couple of extra pre-season games. But no real threat to make the team. You say he came real close. Just not understanding why you think that. Who’s job did he almost steal…Helm? Glendening? Witkowski?

George, do you think Rasmussen “narrowly” lost a job?

Posted by fatsavage on 01/27/18 at 01:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

My understanding is that Rasmussen had a real chance of making the team, not an abstract one, but the Wings decided that ultimately it would be better for Rasmussen to wear the “C” for the WHL’s Tri-City Americans and get ready to make an even more serious push for the roster when he was completely healthy (and Rasmussen was still recovering from wrist surgery last fall).

Would he have made the team if he was healthy? Maybe so, maybe not, but if he was healthy, he would have been given an even bigger opportunity to do so.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/27/18 at 01:36 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Mic Drop. See you folks later during the skills competition!

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/27/18 at 01:40 PM ET

A real serious chance? So then why didn’t he stay for a 9-game audition? Agree to disagree but I don’t think he came close. Nor do I think that would have been good for his development.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/27/18 at 02:03 PM ET

Also, still haven’t heard Homer’s identify which roster player was going to lose his job??

Posted by fatsavage on 01/27/18 at 02:04 PM ET

hmm mm whose opinion do I trust more… fatsavage the guy who hates everything red wings or the Wings blogger.

Get rid of this scum troll and see immediate improvement. Homer’s can follow quickly behind.

Posted by refsproblem02 on 01/27/18 at 02:46 PM ET

I think Ras is a great prospect.
I think he will have a solid career.
I’m cheering for him.
I respect George’s opinion. I have a different one. You are free to form your own. If it happens to be what George has stated, then cool for you.
I think the Wings wanted Ras to experience a pro camp, and get in a couple pre-season games. He did. And excelled. So they kept him around and gave him a couple more games. Nothing more than that. I believe they had no intention to use him in the NHL this year. Why burn a year towards UFA for this throw-away season? To play as a 4C? If Ras was really close…then can someone explain why we didn’t give him a 9-game audition? Why not give him a quick look if he was truly competing for a job? We’re they afraid of waiving David Booth to make room?
P.S. nice name-calling. Notice I don’t do that to other posters! cool smile

Posted by fatsavage on 01/27/18 at 03:26 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

No one cares what u think and no one owes u anything. Get lost loser.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/27/18 at 03:46 PM ET

I respect…...

Yep. Sure you do. That’s why you blocked me, because you respect…...sigh.

can someone explain why we didn’t give him a 9-game audition?

Ahhh George did, you just chose to ignore it…..sigh…..

Why not give him a quick look if he was truly competing for a job?

See George’s post above…..sigh…..

P.S. nice name-calling. Notice I don’t do that to other posters!

Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Everyone is picking on the bully. What a total manipulator move…..sigh. I seriously doubt any is feeling sympathetic toward you.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/27/18 at 04:31 PM ET

No one cares what u think and no one owes u anything. Get lost loser.
Posted by ilovehomers on 01/27/18 at 02:46 PM ET

Truth.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/27/18 at 04:33 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

My apologies FS, I was not logged out of my tablet. It’s been handled.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/27/18 at 04:58 PM ET

My apologies FS, I was not logged out of my tablet. It’s been handled.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/27/18 at 03:58 PM ET

My bad. I was playing Minecraft on your iPad again and I quickly checked KK.  I’m sorry FS for making you think it was homer.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/27/18 at 11:23 PM ET