The Malik Report

Previewing The Detroit Red Wings

Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington has been doing an Eastern Conference preview over the summer.  Today he takes a look at the Wings.

Our take: The Red Wings will trade in their bitter rivalries with the Chicago Blackhawks and St. Louis Blues for new ones with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens. And that’s a good thing.

The Red Wings barely got into the playoffs last season, but they’ll tighten the Eastern Conference playoff race and that could be a bad thing for a handful of bubble teams. Detroit will miss the playmaking abilities of Valtteri Filppula, but they’ll get a boost of offense from second-line center Stephen Weiss and veteran winger Daniel Alfredsson, who is hoping to win his first Stanley Cup after 18 years without one in Ottawa.

Strong up front and average on the blue line, the Red Wings will rely heavily on U.S. Olympic team candidate Jimmy Howard between the pipes.

Overall, the Red Wings will benefit from playing most of their games in the Eastern time zone and would make for an interesting first-round playoff opponent in their new conference. But it won’t be easy getting there.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

At least, he ain’t recycling the “too old, too slow” bullshit spewed out by a bunch of other tardtastic writers.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/31/13 at 12:38 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Key subtractions: C Valtteri Filppula, D Carlo Colaiacovo

So the Wings will feel the loss of Carlo more than the loss of Brunner and/or Cleary?  surprised

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/31/13 at 06:58 PM ET

Very possibly.  Brunner and Cleary were replaced by Alfredsson and Tatar (essentially) while Carlo was just subtracted.  If Quincey or Kindl or Smith don’t take a step forward or even take a step back, or if there are injuries they could miss him.  From what I’ve read, GR has more forwards close to being NHL ready than d-men, so yeah.

I’m not saying they’re going to miss Carlo, but I bet there are more times this year that we wish we had another NHL defenceman than times we wish we had Brunner or Cleary.

Posted by Garth on 08/31/13 at 11:17 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Garth on 08/31/13 at 11:17 PM ET

Well, you’re either working overtime at being a contrarian (which is one of your specialties) or you’ve clearly lost your mind. Depending on who makes the Griffins squad, the Wings will have the following defensemen they can call up if one of the top six and Lashoff are injured: Sproul, Backman, Ouellet, Jensen, Fournier, Nicastro and Marchenko.

Admittedly, none of them has NHL experience, but almost every one of them is every bit as talented as Carlo. Because of that, no one is going to miss Carlo.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/31/13 at 11:57 PM ET

Admittedly, none of them has NHL experience

Sorry, who is the one being contrarian?

I very clearly said NHL defenceman, so I have to ask who the contrarian is.  You know, since you were the one being contrary in the first place, then ignored my specific comments just so you could call me the contrarian.

The Wings have too many forwards as it is and, as I clearly said, GR has more forwards that are close to being NHL ready than defenceman.

Things would have to be catastrophic for the Wings to ever miss Cleary.

Carlo played well in the playoffs and was squeezed out because of injury.  If you think any of the newbies in GR could step in and play as well as he did then you, again, are simply being contrarian.

And stupid.