The Malik Report

Previewing Detroit’s Conference Foe, The Washington Capitals And The Face Of The Wings’ Franchise

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The Capitals have a new general manager (Brian McLellan), a new coach (longtime Predators man Barry Trotz) and several new players as they embark on another attempt to make good on that Stanley Cup chatter that’s echoed around Washington for several years.

McLellan nabbed the prize free agent on the market, luring defenseman Matt Niskanen to D.C. with a seven-year, $40.25 million contract (the Wings offered seven years and $38.5 million). That might be a good investment, but Niskanen, 27, has just one great season to his credit and was the gem of the marketplace because the rest was so mundane.

more on the Capitals...

On Channel 7's Sports Cave show this morning, the crew debated Steve Yzerman as the face of the franchise.

Watch the video below and it starts when the topic is about the Wings...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

FYI, George gave me the heads up on the above information.

I know how tough it is to wind down, but I vote he does so, starting now!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/03/14 at 03:27 PM ET

awould's avatar

George, stop reading this.

Posted by awould on 08/03/14 at 11:10 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Hi Paul,
I realize I’m almost never here anymore, but this might be worth linking to on Abdelkader

and his concussion treatment.

I also see some things never change.

GEORGE, GET SOME REST. WE’LL BE FINE. THE WINGS WILL BE FINE.

Posted by Bugsy on 08/03/14 at 11:25 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I recently spotted Ken Holland headed for a gas station to get Free Agent tips.

Ken Holland

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 08/04/14 at 10:49 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Nothing is going to happen George.  Why are you reading this?

I’m at the point where I know this season is going to suck, and I want it to start anyways.  Can’t stand the fawning over exhibition football and basketball.

Posted by Primis on 08/04/14 at 11:02 AM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Have you ever considered that if George’s first and last names were switched this would likely be an NBA blog?

Posted by Colquhoun on 08/04/14 at 03:57 PM ET