The Malik Report

Predicting The Atlantic Division

Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star takes a shot at predicting the Atlantic Division...

Detroit Red Wings

Projected finish: Second

Key Additions: F Daniel Alfredsson, C Stephen Weiss

Key Subtractions: F Valtteri Filppula

Relationship issues: Welcome back to the neighbourhood, old friend. With four Stanley Cup championships since we last met in the playoffs, something says you’re over the whole “Nik Borschevsky” thing. Word of warning: Leaf Nation isn’t.

The Skinny: Oft written off as too old, the Wings seem to embrace life after 40. So Daniel Alfredsson will fit right in, giving the team some much needed scoring punch up front. Stephen Weiss fills a role behind Pavel Datsyuk at centre. He may accomplish more as a No. 2 on the Wings than he ever would as a No. 1 with the Panthers.

read on for the other six teams in the division...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Welcome back to the neighbourhood, old friend.

We’re not your friend, guy.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 08/14/13 at 08:38 AM ET

DocF's avatar

I think this guy over-rates Boston by quite a bit.  They let their best defenceman in the playoffs get away (that would be Ference).  I believe the Chara that was on the ice for virtually all of the Blackhawks goals is more representative of his current value than was the big, dirty guy from the 2012 season.  In other words, they will struggle.

And, no we are not your friend.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 08/14/13 at 10:36 AM ET

YYZerman's avatar

We’re not your friend, guy.

Posted by SYF from minding the gap on 08/14/13 at 09:38 AM ET

I’m not your guy, buddy

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 08/14/13 at 11:22 AM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I’m not your guy, buddy

I’m not your buddy, friend.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/14/13 at 12:03 PM ET

I’m not your buddy, friend.

I’m not your friend, pal.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 08/14/13 at 12:16 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’m not your guy, buddy

I’m not your buddy, friend.

I’m not your buddy, friend.

I’m not your friend, pal.

I’m not nobody’s nothin’.

Posted by calquake on 08/14/13 at 01:26 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’m not your friend, pal.

No soy tu amigo, compadre!

Posted by awould on 08/14/13 at 01:39 PM ET

As a neutral fan, I expect Detroit to be first because Boston got worse and the Red Wings aren’t a good matchup for them.

Strange as it sounds, Jarome Iginla is a significant downgrade at this point in his career compared to Jagr and Horton: two pairs of skates he’s meant to fill by himself. And while Eriksson’s a better player than Tyler Seguin right now, I’m not certain he’s as dangerous with the puck on his stick in the context of Boston’s system and lineup composition. Unless Eriksson really, really clicks with Krejci, I think the Boston Bruins are going to have a lot of problems scoring.

I also think this is a nightmare matchup for the Bruins, in terms of both personnel and coaching. They should lose most of the head to heads, imo.

And finally, this division should have its name flipflopped with that of the “Metropolitan” division because there’s absolutely nothing “Atlantic” about Toronto, Ottawa, Detroit, Montreal. Or just call the “Metropolitan” division the Patrick division again. Or the East division. Anything but Metropolitan.

Posted by larry on 08/14/13 at 03:07 PM ET

LiteWork's avatar

Assuming Spezza and Karlsson are healthy they should be #2 and could easily overtake Boston for the division.

Posted by LiteWork on 08/14/13 at 03:22 PM ET

d ca's avatar

please call this the Adams division…

the Atlantic division with teams on the Great Lakes is too stupid of a name to repeat.

Posted by d ca on 08/14/13 at 07:11 PM ET